The Exception

What’s a song by a band that you’re not really into that just hits you?

My wife is a huge Fleetwood Mac gal, and for the most part I just grin an’ bear it until “Dreams” comes on. Like, I don’t know if there has ever been a more poignant song ever, equal to it sure, but... damn, it’s pretty much a perfect song.

Please post a link to your “exception”.

That’s one of the songs I most like playing in our band!

Mrs AR does a great job on vocals.

.....a little less so his version of "Blinded by the Light", it's OK, but Manfred Mann's version is the definitive one for me.

Bruce still hasn’t forgiven him for putting a feminine hygiene product in the lyrics!

Can’t think of a band/singer that I like one song of. Space reserved.

Tom Petty is EASILY one of the best songwriters America has ever produced, *Rock or otherwise*, but when you're listening to EVH, Vai, Jeff Beck, Santana, DiMeola, Holdsworth, ... the Heartbreakers just didn't make my hairs stand up.

Mike Campbell may not be as technically proficient as some of these other guys, but he is a wonderful guitar player. In fact, Mike Campbell is one of my all-time favorite players. He's not flashy, but he knows how to play for the song.

Mike Campbell may not be as technically proficient as some of these other guys, but he is a wonderful guitar player. In fact, Mike Campbell is one of my all-time favorite players. He's not flashy, but he knows how to play for the song.

He is easily the best part of Tom Petty.

I saw a video of him when he got tapped for Fleetwood Mac and found it interesting (although totally understandable) that he found playing Dreams as the hardest song for him.

636e10950c3df4ad4036ebd59081ff47.gif

speaking of fleetwood mac, ‘oh well’ is relentlessly terrible, i thought it was the moody blues when i first heard it because it’s almost as bad as ‘question’.

I saw a video of him when he got tapped for Fleetwood Mac and found it interesting (although totally understandable) that he found playing Dreams as the hardest song for him.

Bah! Petty was the best part of that band, however, Mike Campbell is a wonderful, tasty, restrained player who always comes up with the right part!

same tom petty that wrote ‘breakdown’? great band but great writing? i don’t know, most of the songs seem to be about nothing.

never heard a pretenders record all the way through, because ‘talk of the town’ was on it.

Inducted into the songwriters hall of fame 2016, alongside Elvis Costello & Marvin Gaye.

N3RweUb.jpg

Well, this one is for Bodia. I play music all the time at work, but at low volume. Usually Ozzie's Boneyard on my Alexa dot thing my daughter got me for Christmas. But working from home means playing music all day from my old music ipad. Today after a couple Yes albums, I was down near the bottom of the alphabet on my list and there was Winger. When Poison Angel came on, I literally got up and danced for about 60 seconds. My golden retriever thought I was playing with him and started jumping on me, so I had to stop. But it was a Bodia inspired moment!

And, it goes without saying, that I "air guitar'd" the solos to Madelaine and Seventeen!

Well, this one is for Bodia. I play music all the time at work, but at low volume. Usually Ozzie's Boneyard on my Alexa dot thing my daughter got me for Christmas. But working from home means playing music all day from my old music ipad. Today after a couple Yes albums, I was down near the bottom of the alphabet on my list and there was Winger. When Poison Angel came on, I literally got up and danced for about 60 seconds. My golden retriever thought I was playing with him and started jumping on me, so I had to stop. But it was a Bodia inspired moment!

And, it goes without saying, that I "air guitar'd" the solos to Madelaine and Seventeen!

Rebd Beach is an underrated guitarist. And I'll say it - I like Winger. Never saw them live, unless you count the tour where 60% of the band was in Alice Cooper's band.

Picked this up a while ago, but I'm still working my way towards listening to it.

51rBBpnFd-L._SX425_.jpg

Rebd Beach is an underrated guitarist. And I'll say it - I like Winger. Never saw them live, unless you count the tour where 60% of the band was in Alice Cooper's band.

Picked this up a while ago, but I'm still working my way towards listening to it.

51rBBpnFd-L._SX425_.jpg

Reb is a great player!

And I don't mind at all saying it, "I LIKE WINGER!"

I'm with you guys! Reb is awesome. Loved his one album with Dokken, and the new Whitesnake album is really good. Big Winger fan, too. Saw them way, way back in the day. It was Bullet Boys, Winger, Tesla, and someone else that I can't recall. Great show!

Tom Petty is EASILY one of the best songwriters America has ever produced, *Rock or otherwise*, but when you're listening to EVH, Vai, Jeff Beck, Santana, DiMeola, Holdsworth, ... the Heartbreakers just didn't make my hairs stand up.

I’ve never seen a post that I simultaneously liked (the first part) and disliked (the last part) more.

Bah! Petty was the best part of that band, however, Mike Campbell is a wonderful, tasty, restrained player who always comes up with the right part!

Imagine a Tom Petty song and try to prevent the Mike Campbell riff from popping into your head. Impossible. Tom understood and appreciated that.

I’ve never seen a post that I simultaneously liked (the first part) and disliked (the last part) more.

A lot of people loved the whole band but I have to agree with Les, good guitar player, but aside from that it was Tom. TBH I kinda consider him a solo artist, don't dislike his band, just was into heavier stuff.

A lot of people loved the whole band but I have to agree with Les, good guitar player, but aside from that it was Tom. TBH I kinda consider him a solo artist, don't dislike his band, just was into heavier stuff.

No argument here...TP was a rare genius...but he certainly knew who to get to play guitar when he did record a solo album...so did a lot of other people.

Back