The Elusive PRS...DGT?

BlueSkies

PRS aficionados, I come to you for assistance and recommendations on best way forward on finding my forever PRS. Quick backstory...I sold several Gibson Historics and am ready to pull the trigger on a PRS DGT. However, if I am going to lay down PRS money (more than willing), I want a very specific finish...Charcoal Cherry Burst. Here is the rub...I can't find one anywhere. Called several dealers and even spoke with PRS Customer Service to see when a Charcoal Cherry Burst would be coming off the line and which dealer it would be going to. As you can probably imagine, I didn't get very far.

So, I'm at a crossroads as this will be my first PRS and not sure whether I have to place an order with a reputable dealer or continue to monitor Reverb and some of the larger RPS dealer sites. Is special ordering typically the way forward to get exactly what you want? If so, are there PRS dealers more reputable and dependable than others?

Lastly, if I have to special order a DGT in Charcoal Cherry Burst finish, can I ask/request some customization (understand price would likely increase exponentially)? For example, I want the bird inlays, mixed chrome/gold hardware, and the body stained in dark charcoal/ebony versus the standard Gibson type red over mahogany.

Many thanks in advance for any input and recommendations you veteran PRS owners can offer. Happy new year all.

T.

Yeah...you're probably looking at Wood Library minimum and probably Private's Stock whenever you start specifying finish/hardware options. I'm in CT so I'm gonna say call Brian's Guitars.

You cannot get the back stained the the way you want. The hardware, I don't think so either. Artist package, maybe hardware change, but I think they come with gold hardware, at least in the past they used to. Go Private Stock (PS), you can do just about anything and even get any color you want. You are starting at $7,999 with PS.

Having “that” guitar pop up with the top quality, finish and hardware that meets your desire seems a stretch. I’d definitely network to find a dealer that has a great relationship with the factory and see what they can do and at what price. Many of the “artists” are built to dealer spec. Not sure if there are build slots anymore but worth the discussion.

can I ask/request some customization (understand price would likely increase exponentially)? For example, I want the bird inlays, mixed chrome/gold hardware, and the body stained in dark charcoal/ebony versus the standard Gibson type red over mahogany.

The mixed hardware is brass/nickel, if you want gold/chrome you will need to go Private Stock. Similarly with any custom colorization.

The guitar is offered in the color you want with the brass/nickel hardware as an upgrade, so if that's ok, you could go with that as a special order, but be aware that I have seen reports on this forum of guitars taking 18 months to deliver.

There is a copperhead / autumn sky burst DGT at Danville Music (my local shop) that is the nicest burst I've EVER seen on a PRS. When you walk into the shop, the PRS are all on the wall at the far end, and that particular guitar JUMPS off the wall versus all of the other PRS they have on display. There's an extra depth of color AND more brightness on that instrument. I'm honestly gobsmacked every time I see it. No, it's not charcoal / cherry, but it's honestly the best burst I've seen. It's simply magical.....

bgaklsfgwtvit6dbz3or.jpg

There is a copperhead / autumn sky burst DGT at Danville Music (my local shop) that is the nicest burst I've EVER seen on a PRS. When you walk into the shop, the PRS are all on the wall at the far end, and that particular guitar JUMPS off the wall versus all of the other PRS they have on display. There's an extra depth of color AND more brightness on that instrument. I'm honestly gobsmacked every time I see it. No, it's not charcoal / cherry, but it's honestly the best burst I've seen. It's simply magical.....

bgaklsfgwtvit6dbz3or.jpg
Daddy like!

bgaklsfgwtvit6dbz3or.jpg
Jeez...:eek:
There’s a lot going on in that maple.

Back