The Edward Van Halen (EVH) Prototype PRS; 1 of 2

I must confess I'm definitely a "hardcore EVH fanboi". I've owned pretty much all of the EVH guitars, except for the striped Charvels. So, I do understand what those guys like about Ed's early tone. But...

I'd LOVE to get my greasy, little mitts on the PRS EVH. If Hans would sell her to me, I'd put on an old school Floyd with a big brass trem block and a Duncan EVH pickup (or 78...whatever they're calling it now).

I want it.

Seriously.

Like a fat kid wants cake.

Like Lindsay Lohan wants coke.

Like a crooked politician wants re-elected.

Last edited:
The shark has now been jumped. :top:

Click images to enlarge.

EVH_KNOBS_1.jpg

I started with ebony tuner buttons. I mounted them to some old SE tuners and a large paint stick. Then I sanded them and cut some masking tape to a width that I thought might work.

EVH_KNOBS_2.jpg

The first coat of paint is white primer.

EVH_KNOBS_3.jpg

Then I stripped off the tape to expose the black ebony. After that, I added more tape in different widths.

EVH_KNOBS_4.jpg

Then I added several coats of a candy red.

EVH_KNOBS_5.jpg

After it dried (for over a month) I sanded them with 800 grit and added 5 coats of clear.

EVH_KNOBS_6.jpg

Can you dig it?

EVH_KNOBS_7.jpg

Awesome guitar and story!

I love single hum guitars. I stay on the bridge pickup 90 percent of the time anyway as mostly I go for a chunky yet twangy tone. I'm more of a rhythm guy so I dig that but I play a lot of leads on the bridge pickup too. I have a single hum guitar with a SD JB in it that I use live in Eflat for Bob Seger's "Her Strut". I'd love to see a single humbucker guitar in the PRS lineup sometime!

Back