The Econoline Semi Hollow Throwdown!

NomadMike

With a lineup of more semi-hollow guitars than just about anyone a throw down is needed. So first up...
The current reigning champ...

...versus Kid Mira!

Last edited by a moderator:
02.1969FordEconolineVan.jpg

Those are not stock pickups on the ZM...in fact the whole guitar looks to be of higher quality than mine.

Looks like a USA nut too.

You can tell that from the video? Impressive!!

By the way, I had my ZM nut replaced with a USA PRS nut (I know the controversy about that but whatever...) and my guitar guy said the stock nut on it was hollow. I am no expert but changing out the nut in that case seems like a good move.

...the stock nut on it was hollow. I am no expert but changing out the nut in that case seems like a good move.

Not exactly hollow, but it does have two air gaps on the underside. I like to think of it as "chambered".

Let's break it down
SH Mira S2 vs New ZM SE
Price $1269 vs $679 advantage ZM
Hardware Locking Tuners vs Adjustable Bridge draw
Sound/versatility... advantage Mira (better stock pick ups +coil tapping)
Playability... advantage ZM (24.5" scale + satin neck sooooo smooth)
Looks six classic colors vs trampas flame draw

Winner Zach Myers SE!!!

If you can't: handle vintage tuners, find/install amazing sounding aftermarket pickups for $500 or less, or stand the sight of the trampas green flame top... then by all means go Mira.

Last edited:
Those are not stock pickups on the ZM...in fact the whole guitar looks to be of higher quality than mine.

That's a concern I always have when I see a pro playing an SE, are they really an out of the box SE or from the PRS tech center.

On second thought if the ZM has been upgraded the Mira still to my ears has an edge. Maybe these S2 guitars are pretty good after all.

This is what the stock SE nut looks like on the inside if anyone wants a visual. :)

For me I love the ZM but I really wish the neck was wide/thin or the standard pattern. It was giving me problems on the upper frets.

Back