The Dream PRS Amplifier Thread

László

Too Many Notes
PRS has fulfilled two of my fondest amplifier dreams, and now I'm hoping for one more...

Best Plexi style amp in the universe (for me), the HXDA. Check!

Coolest Americana style amp ever created (for me), the DG30. Check!

Most Awesome British Invasion style amp? Yes, that one. You know the one. Starts with a "V". The Shadows. The Beatles. The Stones. The Kinks. The Yardbirds. The Byrds. Brian May. U2. Tom Petty. Radiohead. Oasis. Sco. That sound. Those sounds.

Kerannnnggggg!

Last edited:
I'd like to try out a single channel version of the clean side of an Archon... with reverb.

The instant I heard PRS, himself, play thru a HXDA 50 watt/2x12 rig at Guitar Rez here in Austin, 2013, was the instant I knew I had to have one. The search was on, got one used off CL from a guy from San Antonio(PRS endorser) that got it from a guy he knew here in Austin, who happens to be a PRS endorser too. How do I know it was originally his?...It still has his name taped, by the factory, to the outside of metal chassis. And Stock V30's...Yeah, that guitar player.

The instant I heard PRS, himself, play thru a HXDA 50 watt/2x12 rig at Guitar Rez here in Austin, 2013, was the instant I knew I had to have one. The search was on, got one used off CL from a guy from San Antonio(PRS endorser) that got it from a guy he knew here in Austin, who happens to be a PRS endorser too. How do I know it was originally his?...It still has his name taped, by the factory, to the outside of metal chassis. And Stock V30's...Yeah, that guitar player.

Well, to me the HXDA is the must-have amp of all time, so I agree, and it's cool that you got one owned by, you know.

Of course, if you'd bought the 50 watt I sold to get the 30 watt version, you'd have my name engraved into the outside of the chassis with a magical implement of unknown origin that makes it sound oh so much better than a mere amp owned by a really great player who probably had it tweaked just for him. ;)

But do you have a dream amp that they're not yet building?

I'd like to try out a single channel version of the clean side of an Archon... with reverb.

That's be pretty darn cool. Then again you might like the DG30, single channel, very clean with the right preamp tubes.

A Super Dallas with switchable HXDA preamp. Oh, and switchable 30W/50W power stage. Still want everything the SuperD provides with the option to HXDA.

I played the HX/DA on display in the tent last Saturday, the one all the way to the right with the Faded Whale Blue 30th Anny Custom (BEAUTIFUL AXE!), and I came away a little unfulfilled. I think it may have been the isolation cab set up, but in my head I think I had the idea that this amp had a spongier feel and a ton of harmonics. I REALLY wanted to love it.

How do you set yours up Les? I don't think I had the master up loud enough (11:00)....

I played the HX/DA on display in the tent last Saturday, the one all the way to the right with the Faded Whale Blue 30th Anny Custom (BEAUTIFUL AXE!), and I came away a little unfulfilled. I think it may have been the isolation cab set up, but in my head I think I had the idea that this amp had a spongier feel and a ton of harmonics. I REALLY wanted to love it.

How do you set yours up Les? I don't think I had the master up loud enough (11:00)....

You didn't say if you had the 30 or the 50 watt version to try...

With the 30, I run the Master at least at 2:00 to 4:00. and the gain pretty low, maybe 10:00, and season to taste with the tone controls - usually treble around 10:00, Mids around 1:00 and bass around 1:00. Switches DA-DA-HX.

The 50 is truly a different amp, and I ran it with the gain up around 12:00 to 2:00 and the Master around 11:00-2:00. I do the tone controls in a similar way to the 30 though. Switches DA-HX-HX. The 50 is also the spongier of the two.

In either case, dialing one in to one's taste takes hearing the cab in a room with your setup, etc. Hard to do with cans on your ears and an attenuator.

The amps do have a spongy feel and a ton of harmonics, so it might have been the iso cabs, etc, but also I found that it takes some time for them to "settle in" and they really sound better after being played for a while.

Last edited:
I really really love my Sweet 16 Plus. So, I would like that amp with a Vibrolux flavored vibrato added.

That would be very cool!

Until they do that, I highly recommend the Suhr Jackrabbit. Sounds truly authentic, plus tap tempo, plus beautifully built.

Hmm... for me it would be a 2 channel Custom 50, with channel 2 being an HXDA preamp. Probably not feasible, but it would be cool to have the 2nd channel set for a big ballsy crunch tone, and the clean channel for pedals.

I will check that out Les! Although - I don't really care about tap tempo...:)

I usually set the tempo by hand, too, but there are times I find it useful. It also does "strum tempo." That's pretty cool, too.

One more thing: the signal path is analog. Very few analog pedals can be controlled with tap or strum tempo. I switched from a Fulltone Supa Trem to this pedal, and the Fulltone was a heck of a nice tremolo pedal. I think the Jackrabbit sounds better.

I'd just love to have a paisley sweet 16 combo, or a paisley sweet 16+ combo.

I tried one of the little Archon combos, expecting to love it, and... it failed. No love.

However, the sales guy in the store said "you oughta try the Custom 20 combo," so I gave it a shot. And loved it. Told him "I'll think about it" and just saw today they're offering a limited edition in purple..! I may be doomed. :eek:

My dream amp would be a small/5 watter with the frequency response of a 100 watter. My drummer has V Drums, and I have to attenuate my 40 watt amp to 12db cut; it sucks the life right out of the amp. I have tried several small watt amps, and they all seem to lop off the bass and congest the mids.

Even 15 watts has proven too loud to go without attenuation!

My dream amp would be a small/5 watter with the frequency response of a 100 watter. My drummer has V Drums, and I have to attenuate my 40 watt amp to 12db cut; it sucks the life right out of the amp. I have tried several small watt amps, and they all seem to lop off the bass and congest the mids.

Even 15 watts has proven too loud to go without attenuation!

That would be cool indeed! I hear ya - our drummer uses V-Drums...I have the same situation.

I tried one of the little Archon combos, expecting to love it, and... it failed. No love.

However, the sales guy in the store said "you oughta try the Custom 20 combo," so I gave it a shot. And loved it. Told him "I'll think about it" and just saw today they're offering a limited edition in purple..! I may be doomed. :eek:

I saw the purple ones this past weekend! Man those are HAWT!!!!!

Back