The dreaded "back of the neck stickies!"

Mike J.

I love my Vela and play it a lot. My one complaint (as with other guitars) is how sticky the back of the neck gets. I'll wash my hands and clean the back of the neck with guitar polish and it feels like glass but it doesn't take long to feel sticky again.

I've seen two ways on YouTube on how to remedy this. First, the scotch brite method and two, the 0000 steel wool method.
I do know if steel wool is used you have to do it in a way so the little fibers don't get on the pickups. Best to do it with the guitar laying face down.

I actually took care of this problem on another guitar with a scotch brite pad and it worked. No more stickies.

Just not sure which would be the most effective and safest way with the finish PRS uses.

Thanks.

Just did it. Per a YouTube video instructions I first cleaned the neck with Naptha on paper towels to get all the gunk off. Was surprised how much there was! Used masking tape to mask off by the headstock, lightly moistened a green scotch brite pad with water and went to town. Wiped any remaining residue off with paper towels.

What a difference! I'm sure I'll have to do it again in time but right now there is no sticky feeling at all!

No stick, now it's slick!!!!!

Just did it. Per a YouTube video instructions I first cleaned the neck with Naptha on paper towels to get all the gunk off. Was surprised how much there was! Used masking tape to mask off by the headstock, lightly moistened a green scotch brite pad with water and went to town. Wiped any remaining residue off with paper towels.

What a difference! I'm sure I'll have to do it again in time but right now there is no sticky feeling at all!

No stick, now it's slick!!!!!
Nice!

I use very fine sandpaper on my SE's. It turns the finish kind of "hazy", but man the necks are so slick, and stay that way for quite awhile.

I used Scotch-brite on several of mine. I also tried Meguiars car wax. I prefer the end results of the Scotch-brite

^^^Exactly this^^^ I've done the same with great results.

So happy when folks do this ( sand the neck ) to there guitars and then sell them to me at a discount :)
Glad ( sanding , scotchbrite ) works for some but just an FYI dry skin sticks to necks a bit of hand lotion makes a world of difference.
and keep a micro fiber cloth handy for after jamming wipedown.

I played at church today and had no problem with the dreaded stickies! Smooth as glass!

Gotta tell ya, the band members and the soundman are LOVING the Vela. Our acoustic player even said "you've always had a good sound but there is something so special and unique about the tone that your getting now with that guitar." The soundman said that it really sits well in the mix. I've really been working hard on the tones and I think I found what works best for me and for what we're doing at church. I'm using a Pod Go and after trying a few different amp/IR models I'm now using the Soldano model but I'm using the clean channel. I like it because it's very even sounding and it's a very "robust" sound. Even the higher strings have a real punch to them. Not at all thin. But when you turn the gain up and get everything else adjusted accordingly for a solo it can scream but in a clean way. Hard to describe. Just enough breakup without being distorted. But for the most part I and the band love the tone I'm getting from the middle position. I'd say I use that for about a good 90% of what we do and it fit's like a glove.

I am so glad I bought my Vela. Funny thing is, while I was looking at and trying other guitars, PRS never entered my mind. But for some reason one day last fall while raking leaves in the yard I suddenly thought "what about a PRS?" Still don't know why I thought that. Maybe I received a bit of information from beyond. If so I'm glad I listened.

Back