The Differences Between 22 & 24 Fret Guitars

Hunter@PRS

PRS all day, every day.
Staff member
I was asked to pass this video along:

A YouTuber, "The Tone King" breaks down the differences between 22 & 24 fret guitars and does some playing demos on the SE Custom 22 & SE Custom 24.

Wait - did he think beforehand the frets were closer together on the same length fretboard? That woulda made higher notes go successively flatter on a 24...

To my ears the 24 neck pup is tighter with that large amount of fuzzy gain.

I have both 22 and 24 fretters, both single and double cut, stop tail and trem. I can`t possibly say which one I like the most. Each guitar does a particular thing better than the others. Each guitar sounds different through different amps. I`m always thrilled when I pick any one of them up and gig on it. It`s the best musical buffet imaginable. And I can hear the sounds of the ones I haven`t bought yet. I hear an SC 594 in my head right now. Nice first world musician`s problem..........

They both sound good just different....I like 22 fret guitars because I was taught as a kid to look at the neck as a grid and the 24th fret screws me up....

When I bought my SE Standard 24 the pickups placement was a bit of a compromise for me but I am over it now. I rarely go anywhere near the widest end of the neck but the guitar sounds great as it is.

Anyone tried a thirty-six-fretter?

15388-1.jpg

When I bought my SE Standard 24 the pickups placement was a bit of a compromise for me but I am over it now. I rarely go anywhere near the widest end of the neck but the guitar sounds great as it is.

Anyone tried a thirty-six-fretter?

15388-1.jpg
Like that guitar - Just wondering what a fret dress would set you back ?

I was asked to pass this video along:

A YouTuber, "The Tone King" breaks down the differences between 22 & 24 fret guitars and does some playing demos on the SE Custom 22 & SE Custom 24.

I watched and I did hear a minor difference...however there wasn't enough or the kind of a difference that would turn me off to either. That being said, in comparison, the 22 was slightly "Muddy"....again, slightly! Whereas the 24 had a slightly brighter tone with more presence....which I did like but if the 24 sounded muddier, I'd still pick the 24 simply cause I like the look.

Back