The Dear God Why Am I Awake? Thread.

If you have android theres an app called sleep as android that can track your deep sleep, see when your really sleeping

This , below , actually works, handy tip if you have mild sleep ie snoring messing your REMs, vouch for it aiding sleep. Doesnt stop you getting up to pee though :)

Sorry for the smarta$$ quips earlier (sort of... cuz... ya know, smarta$$)
Exercise maybe?

This is also a good idea. I slept much more soundly when I was working out regularly. When the Mrs was on blood thinners after surgery I stopped drinking for the amount of time she was taking them. Didn't want to drink in front of her. I started drinking ginger tea about 7:00 PM. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but I slept good during that time. Of course, it could also have been from not drinking.....

If you have android theres an app called sleep as android that can track your deep sleep, see when your really sleeping

This , below , actually works, handy tip if you have mild sleep ie snoring messing your REMs, vouch for it aiding sleep. Doesnt stop you getting up to pee though :)

Didn't watch the whole video but the method is legit. You need to use the right tape and make sure it is tight enough to stay on yet loose enough to not need peeling off with both hands...

Try magnesium - supplement called Calm, mix with water, take it about an hour or two before bed. I was up at 4am today so I feel your pain.

Forgot that, cheap supplement called ZMA from optimum nutrition can help too, certainly cancels out there other caffeine based preworkout

The bags under my eyes are racing my nutsack to see which can sag past my knees first.

This is incredibly funny!!!
I totally understand what you're talkin' about... trying hard to do all the 'right' things. I'm in my mid '50s and still attempting the same.
I will suggest though that you need to find out which (and how much) of the 'right' things work for YOU.
There are many holistic sleep aids. Some will work better for YOU than others. Be sure to adjust the dosages to what works for YOU. I've found that a smaller than recommended dosage of some help me without being overpowering.
Also, don't deny yourself of your old habits too much... at first, anyways.
Try many methods until you find what helps YOU thru the night....

Even then, there are going to be tough times. Don't fight it too much...it's natural....

I’m trying the melatonin. I can’t tell if it helps or not, I mean I think it does as I finally broke down last night and had a half of one before I finally fell asleep. But yeah, the zombie thing the next day messes with me, which is why I’m using it as a second to last resort ( the last resort is Xanax I had for a bought of anxiety, but again.. zombie, and I’m of the belief that for me, drugs are supposed to be for fun. Not a long term solution.)

Do you have some special sleeping headphones? Or do you use earbuds? I have weirdly shaped inner ears that won’t let an earbud stay in my right ear.

My experience is that getting the melatonin that you dissolve under your tongue is the most effective in getting you drowsy quickly. I don't know what dosage you are taking but it comes in 1 mg, 3 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg sizes. The 3 mg or 5 mg have been what I have used depending on the situation; anything more and I can't focus the next day.

I tend to move around alot when I sleep so I use a set of motorcycle audio earbuds that were molded to my ear canals. They isolate well and by having the cord above me (fed toward the headboard) I can turn over without a problem and they aren't painful when sleeping on either side. YMMV. If you tend to sleep on your back a set of headphones would be fine ..... the key is to separate the L + R frequency feeds.

I’ve got a bottle of that stuff, it helps getting to sleep but doesn’t do much to keep me that way.

I need some doctor supervised heroin or something...

It’s been well over a year ( longer than since my son was born) where I sleep four hours, stay up for a few more, and then battle for another two to three.

An exercise regiment will get you where you want to be.

Let's see...why am I awake? Hmmm, let's see, guilty conscience, because I love practicing my guitar without interruption, chronic widespread pain, overactive bladder, and oh yeah...I wanted to see if any of my PRS buds are also fellow insomniacs? I've never needed much sleep, since a bad motorcycle crash in13' that left me broken up pretty badly, so after that, the "painsomnia" really makes it even harder to rest very much. So, any other night owls in here, where my peeps at? Surely it can't be just me and the robots hanging out? Is it???

Let's see...why am I awake? Hmmm, let's see, guilty conscience, because I love practicing my guitar without interruption, chronic widespread pain, overactive bladder, and oh yeah...I wanted to see if any of my PRS buds are also fellow insomniacs? I've never needed much sleep, since a bad motorcycle crash in13' that left me broken up pretty badly, so after that, the "painsomnia" really makes it even harder to rest very much. So, any other night owls in here, where my peeps at? Surely it can't be just me and the robots hanging out? Is it???

Right there with you...

Well I hate it for ya , but it's cool to know there is at least one person awake this time of the morning that's not a robot...you aren't a robot are ya' tosca?! :confused:

Back