The Dear God Why Am I Awake? Thread.

Of course I get up every night...being 53 sucks......but since Sunday my sleeplessness has been due to trying to pass a kidney stone. If you have never done this I do not at all recommend it. Sucks hard.

Ugh...stones suck!

I’ve got a bottle of that stuff, it helps getting to sleep but doesn’t do much to keep me that way.

I need some doctor supervised heroin or something...

It’s been well over a year ( longer than since my son was born) where I sleep four hours, stay up for a few more, and then battle for another two to three.

Try this....2 Manhattan's before dinner. A tequila and grapefruit soda, or 2, after dinner. When your ready for bed, 10 mg of slow release Melatonin and a swig of ZzQuil. Out like a light until the alarm goes off at 4:00 AM.

I'm a pretty notorious insomniac. I get up, go pee about 4 times a night. Some nights I just head for the couch to not disturb those that can. My meds messed me up the other night by taking them at night instead of the day as I should. Foot cramps, itchy eyes. That was no fun. I probably average 5 hours a night on a good night. The apps!!! I once downloaded one of those apps with ocean sounds and space music.. Right in the middle of the damn thing, while I'm relaxing......"HELLO!!!!! I'M JOHN MCGREGOR!! THIS IS MY RELAXATION APP!!! I would have punched the drunk scotsman if I'd had a chance ;-)

Interrupted sleep is brutal! I've averaged 4-5 hours a night for nearly a decade now. Been trying to improve my sleep over the past year - on my third mattress trying to alleviate my creaky back pain. Ugh. Even changed my diet, added exercise, lost a lot of weight, but sleep hasn't improved much.

But hey, at least these iPads now have a night shift mode so I can keep surfing in the middle of the night on my favorite forum and guitar dealer sites without worrying about that annoying blue light!

Try this....2 Manhattan's before dinner. A tequila and grapefruit soda, or 2, after dinner. When your ready for bed, 10 mg of slow release Melatonin and a swig of ZzQuil. Out like a light until the alarm goes off at 4:00 AM.

I know you’re goofing (a little bit) but I think drugs and alcohol were part of the problem. I still have a few drinks now and again, but not like I used to. Now when I do have alcohol, it doesn’t really help me sleep. Maybe it’ll help me get to sleep but not aid in deep meaningful rest.

My (semi) sobriety kinda sucks. I wake up anxious, have horrible dreams, and then it’s like I don’t wanna go back to sleep in fear of starting the whole process over again. When I was Mr. Funtime, I hardly ever had or remembered any dreams.. it was kinda nice.

I’m trying to do all the things I’m supposed to, limiting alcohol, regular bed time, no electronics, no eating right before bed, etc. etc. but it’s getting exhausting.

I don’t buy into the hyper masculine/American outlook of “sleep when I’m dead” or some sh!t like that. I’m attempting to be slightly healthier, and I’m pretty sure proper rest is an important ingredient to that.

There are so many factors though.. the baby, of course is a little part of it, as is my girl’s schedule, and her sleep needs/routine, but what am I gonna do? I can’t sleep in the basement, and smoke a sh!t ton of weed with a surround sound tropical rainstorm blaring... this sucks. I was up past 2 and then awake at 5:30. The bags under my eyes are racing my nutsack to see which can sag past my knees first.

I know you’re goofing (a little bit) but I think drugs and alcohol were part of the problem. I still have a few drinks now and again, but not like I used to. Now when I do have alcohol, it doesn’t really help me sleep. Maybe it’ll help me get to sleep but not aid in deep meaningful rest.

My (semi) sobriety kinda sucks. I wake up anxious, have horrible dreams, and then it’s like I don’t wanna go back to sleep in fear of starting the whole process over again. When I was Mr. Funtime, I hardly ever had or remembered any dreams.. it was kinda nice.

I’m trying to do all the things I’m supposed to, limiting alcohol, regular bed time, no electronics, no eating right before bed, etc. etc. but it’s getting exhausting.

I don’t buy into the hyper masculine/American outlook of “sleep when I’m dead” or some sh!t like that. I’m attempting to be slightly healthier, and I’m pretty sure proper rest is an important ingredient to that.

There are so many factors though.. the baby, of course is a little part of it, as is my girl’s schedule, and her sleep needs/routine, but what am I gonna do? I can’t sleep in the basement, and smoke a sh!t ton of weed with a surround sound tropical rainstorm blaring... this sucks. I was up past 2 and then awake at 5:30. The bags under my eyes are racing my nutsack to see which can sag past my knees first.
May I suggest an appropriate dosage of melatonin. Use a sublingual pill that you can dissolve under your tongue which will make you drowsy fast. If you wake up in four hours do it again, only don't use such a high dosage that you are a zombie for the rest of the day. This has worked for me, but then I drink minimum caffeine during the day.

There are CDs that are made to be used with headphones, where one low frequency beat is fed into one side and a different one into the other. These frequencies are masked by relaxing music, and the difference in the frequencies causes the brain to more easily enter into a deeper sleep. If you are interested let me know and I'll get you more information.

May I suggest an appropriate dosage of melatonin. Use a sublingual pill that you can dissolve under your tongue which will make you drowsy fast. If you wake up in four hours do it again, only don't use such a high dosage that you are a zombie for the rest of the day. This has worked for me, but then I drink minimum caffeine during the day.

There are CDs that are made to be used with headphones, where one low frequency beat is fed into one side and a different one into the other. These frequencies are masked by relaxing music, and the difference in the frequencies causes the brain to more easily enter into a deeper sleep. If you are interested let me know and I'll get you more information.

I’m trying the melatonin. I can’t tell if it helps or not, I mean I think it does as I finally broke down last night and had a half of one before I finally fell asleep. But yeah, the zombie thing the next day messes with me, which is why I’m using it as a second to last resort ( the last resort is Xanax I had for a bought of anxiety, but again.. zombie, and I’m of the belief that for me, drugs are supposed to be for fun. Not a long term solution.)

Do you have some special sleeping headphones? Or do you use earbuds? I have weirdly shaped inner ears that won’t let an earbud stay in my right ear.

Back