The CU24 - Always A Righteous Instrument

László

Too Many Notes
Today I played my 30th CU24 through my amps, working on some ideas for an ad track. And I marveled at how really right Paul Smith got it way back in 1985 -- the guitar sounded so perfect with vintage style single channel amps, and with 2 channels as well. Roll off the volume for gorgeous, shimmering cleans; roll it up for great overdriven sounds; I mean, this model does everything so well!

I got classic tones, I got modern ones, there wasn't anything I asked the guitar to do that it wasn't happy to oblige, in spades.

I got my first Custom in 1991. I bonded with that guitar instantly, loved what it did, and it led me down a wonderful PRS-strewn path to greater enjoyment of the instrument, and an increasing ability to express my ideas the way I want them heard.

This isn't my only PRS, I have several models and love 'em all. But this is the model that started me on my path, and I'm pretty darn happy I own one!

Here's a shot of my CU24; it's a little different because it has a toggle switch instead of a blade, and the tone control pulls up to activate a Sweet Switch. This particular one is also finished in nitro.

I was playing my Cu24 stoptail tonight with the same kind of smile on my face. It was just right for everything I was doing.

I event found the CU24 for me yet... Well I have but it's that SE Orianthi which is low-rent and has a different wood combo, perhaps I'll run across a WL run with the same combo some day.

But damn, I've wanted to find the one for nearly 25 years. That VY you're sportin' looks incredible, Les.

I event found the CU24 for me yet... Well I have but it's that SE Orianthi which is low-rent and has a different wood combo, perhaps I'll run across a WL run with the same combo some day.

But damn, I've wanted to find the one for nearly 25 years. That VY you're sportin' looks incredible, Les.

I haven't found the CU24 for me either. Considering it's what catapulted them to forefront I always found it interesting that I always preferred their 22 fret models. But that's just me.

Yes, that CU24 looks incredible Les! You've always had good taste.

I haven't found the CU24 for me either. Considering it's what catapulted them to forefront I always found it interesting that I always preferred their 22 fret models. But that's just me.

Yes, that CU24 looks incredible Les! You've always had good taste.

I'm all bout the 24 fret models and the features of the CU24 so I'm sure I'll find one that begs me to bring it home.

You'll get no argument from me! I've owned one since 1990. And, long overdue for a NGD, joining the stable earlier this year a 30th Anniversary PS that I absolutely love. One guitar to rule them all? The CU24.

Last edited:
Which reminds me to take out my 1992 Custom 24...
I mostly use the 513 and my Ibanez S2120x these days, but oh boy the Custom sounds great!
Both the neck and body resonate when you hold it and sustains like crazy...

DSC_2515.jpg

My 30th Anni cus24 is most precious to me. It just feels right and plays right.
Works for me like anything I've owned before.

For me Paul only finally got it right last year. Better late than never of course! :D

The 30th anniversary model (and beyond) is special though - in no small part thanks to those 85/15s. To me they are perfect in that guitar...

You need a Vintage Yellow one Sergio ;) ( you know where I live )

I have these two Both great both very different

The VY one is a classic VB/HFS Rotary switch rocker splits to die for and the HFS can drive an amp crazy

This one is my most recent grab 57/08s and a toggle, I new I had to have this one the first time I played it so happy I made it mine !!!!!
This one can do it all clean,dirty blues, rock it just is a great guitar for me tho I am more comfortable on a 22 fret

You need a Vintage Yellow one Sergio ;) ( you know where I live )

Absolutely, Mike! I don't think I could even consider a CU24 that wasn't VY, it's the color for 'em.

The last time I came over to check out one of your guitars I wound up falling for a different one of yours... I'm gonna wind up going home wanting a Starla or something. ;)

Righteous, indeed. In terms of "getting it right," though, while I've played (and owned) plenty of early CUs (prior to when there was a "24" designation because there was no "22" version) that simply weren't all that great, this one has something special. I've brought it to my favorite PRS dealer a number of times thinking I could find a modern CU24 that I liked better because PRS have upped their game so much in the 30+ years they've been building guitars. Every time, the old one has not only hung with the new ones, it's had a complexity and character to the sound and feel that the new ones couldn't match.

The old "vintage T & B" pickups from this era (1986) are certainly an acquired taste, but they have a character that really works in the right guitar.

I was reminded of this last night when we played a show with a friend of ours. He has 1985 0057. He pretty much never plays that guitar out anymore. He brought it last night and it's a great guitar....stellar tones.

I get the feeling he did get it right recently. At least pickup-wise (because he did with the rest from day-one). Fifteen years after buying my first PRS, my Cu24 is getting really close to being the one. Don't get me wrong, I adore the quintessential PRS. It's the model that sported every huge innovation Paul released in all of his history...violin carved double cut, 24 frets with immaculate craftsmanship, rotary 5-way switch, winged tuners, and a trem from the heavens. But the pickups - HFS/VB - offset the whole enchilada, for me. The 85/15s sound great and would be a welcome addition to my '01 when that's possible, but the 59/09 is doing a pretty good job in the interim. I'm confident, that once I get the right pickups for this guitar, it will be my #1 in my heart and my hands.

Last edited:
Back