The Chase For 'The Best'

"Best" is a hard concept, unless viewed in a personal way. I think I've fallen into the trap of wanting to make the best decisions for myself, which generally means I spend too much time researching, contemplating, and basically not acting. When it comes to stuff, I like good stuff. Doesn't matter if it's a garden shovel or a guitar.

My quest for best is generally based on wanting something that will last.
My dad's term for it was 'lasting value'. Amazingly cheap for the great majority of things but Leica cameras with Leica, Ziess & Nikon lenses hit the bar. And he didn't feel the need get any replacements, for about half a century, almost until digital came out.

The First Thing That Comes To Mind For Me Regarding The Term "Best" Is Quality Of Said Item Which In Turn (To Me) Translates In Many Ways To Value. I Would Rather Buy Right And Buy Once Kind Of Thing Rather Than Buy Something Of Poor Quality Multiple Times. When I Think Of Best And Value I Then Think Of Time. I Put A Value On My Time And If I Can Find An Object That Quickly Cuts To The Desired Outcome/End Result I Am Looking For Quickly, It Makes Sense To Me To Get Said Item Rather Than Spend Precious Time Trying To Get A Square Peg Into A Round Hole...Which Can Be Done.

My dad's term for it was 'lasting value'. Amazingly cheap for the great majority of things but Leica cameras with Leica, Ziess & Nikon lenses hit the bar. And he didn't feel the need get any replacements, for about half a century, almost until digital came out.
I had a Leica for 30 years, too. After digital came out, I made the error of selling it. I still have my grandfather's Zeiss binoculars for sporting events. I think he got them in 1950. They're still 100% great! A little large (OK, gigantic; more modern sets are much smaller and lighter), but great.

Lasting value, indeed.

Last edited:
A basement is much better than a cave: you can heat or cool it without smelling like a forest fire.
Good point! Downside: It's always cold, I have to heat it even I summer. But...no fires. Thankfully!

Most of my cooking pans are All Clad. Not cheap, but definetly worth the price of admission.

Same with jeans and shoes. I buy the good stuff and wear it out.
Honestly, I feel the same way, though I don't cook. I do buy nice boots and jeans. Even sneakers Good stuff lasts for a very long time.

"Best" is subjective in a lot of cases, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. I've always had the understanding that most ratings lists are bought and paid for advertising. Companies pay money or give product for a good review from someone that has a following or an audience.

I know for a fact that individual cities local magazines make their money off of their "Best of Restaurants" edition that ranks the top restaurants in that particular city. Heck, the "Best" deal will allow you to compromise at times if it makes sense financially.

I always try to buy the best equipment that I can afford at the time, but am willing to save some money too

Last edited:
I have bested, and I have been bested... more often the latter. ;)

Hmmm...
I like nice things (as do we all), and at this point in my life (single, older, great job, debt free, etc.) I have "some" disposable income.
That said, I don't think I've purchased "the best" of... I don't know... anything.
Do I have some nice things? Sure! I'm a lucky bastage that way.
My car is a boring 2011 Toyota Venza. Comfy, super reliable, roomy, utilitarian, and... boring. It's just a car, and not the best.
My ebike is a middle of the road dual suspension all around excellent ride. It's not the best by far.
My "best" guitar might be the 2017 594 WL Satin with rosie neck. It is KILLER! But... it's certainly not the best example by any stretch of the imagination. Other guitars get slightly more play time (594 soapy, and 594 hollowbody).
I have CAD amps but prefer my Kemper for practice and gigs.

I guess I am happy to "live within my means" and not go beyond that.
There are awesome examples of gear that don't cost a lot, and are "best" for everyone.
Enjoy what you've got, smile, and live well!

I have bested, and I have been bested... more often the latter. ;)

Hmmm...
I like nice things (as do we all), and at this point in my life (single, older, great job, debt free, etc.) I have "some" disposable income.
That said, I don't think I've purchased "the best" of... I don't know... anything.
Do I have some nice things? Sure! I'm a lucky bastage that way.
My car is a boring 2011 Toyota Venza. Comfy, super reliable, roomy, utilitarian, and... boring. It's just a car, and not the best.
My ebike is a middle of the road dual suspension all around excellent ride. It's not the best by far.
My "best" guitar might be the 2017 594 WL Satin with rosie neck. It is KILLER! But... it's certainly not the best example by any stretch of the imagination. Other guitars get slightly more play time (594 soapy, and 594 hollowbody).
I have CAD amps but prefer my Kemper for practice and gigs.

I guess I am happy to "live within my means" and not go beyond that.
There are awesome examples of gear that don't cost a lot, and are "best" for everyone.
You've got it figured out my dude

As long as it’s my opinion of what’s best being bought with my money I have no embarrassment whatsoever about doing exactly that. I don’t always turn out to be right, but who better to do the picking? I’ve sure wasted enough money and time on “good enough” or “just as good” based on the opinions of others or advertising.

You know what I discovered? That “the best” based on my opinion and “good enough” are actually the same thing… because the best one for me is the only one that’s good enough.

That, of course, is my opinion that applies to what I do. Anyone else’s opinion that applies to what you do is all you, and I’m just peachy with that not being the same as mine.

Last edited:
You are hereby invited to join the "better man than I" club based on giving excellent advice!

Hey, there are membership perks and there's a golf course, clubhouse and pool. I just don't know anything about them because...I didn't make the cut! ;)
You know what I discovered? That “the best” based on my opinion and “good enough” are actually the same thing… because the best one for me is the only one that’s good enough.
A brilliant statement!

Please take your seat at the head of the class. :)

I always try to get the best I can afford that fits the need , it saves later regrets
Oh yes. Just avoid going on the hunt for something even better, sell the previous best you could afford thing to get the new best thing, and later regret that!

Which of course I have done many times.

Based on many comments on this forum I know for sure I'm not alone. ;)

There was an interesting article in the New York Times today about the tendency in lots of folks to have to have 'the best'. Doesn't matter what it is, could be a wastebasket or a toaster. Could be a guitar or an amp. Could be a pizza. Any item at all can be part of the chase for 'the best'.

Oh you bet, I'm guilty, I'm no holier-than-thou critic!

I temper it by evaluating things for myself, but once I decide what the 'best for me' is, I'm most unready to compromise. I have a hard time accepting second-best (given I've decided for myself what best is). I'll wait and save if that's what I have to do. Doesn't matter much what the item is.

Is this self-defeating? An expert in psychology apparently did a study on it, and thinks so. The study found that people who are into that 'best' chase are in fact less satisfied with the decisions they make. They're also more likely to be borderline clinically depressed:

"...it's not really doing anyone a favor," was the quote about the whole thing.

Oh my goodness, I'd never sell a perfectly sweet guitar (or many) because I think I've found a better one, and regret it later! :rolleyes:

I always say there's no best, there's only what's best for you. I guess that doesn't mean you're necessarily any better off deciding what 'best for you' actually is, or chasing after it, though I have to say it can be a lot of fun to arrive at that destination, even if it's only a temporary thrill.

While I accept the fact that I'm pretty bad about all this, I know people who are even more into it. I suspect that none of us are 100% immune.

"But honey, it's the JD Powers #1 truck of 2023!"

"Here are Wirecutter's rankings of the best vacuum cleaners."

"The people on the PRS Forum say the 594 is the best PRS!"

Etc.

So here's my 'best' advice (you see what I did here):

Never listen to me, ever.

Even now! ;)
This is a deep topic with so many facets to it. I agree that "the best" is the best for me and my use case. That has to be qualified.

I have stated it here before and you and I have agreed we are very similar in some respects to this thing of having "the best." I research everything I buy and the higher the price the more research I do.

To me "the best" means good quality. I am a member of the buy once cry once club. I also take extremely good care of the things I buy because I want them to last and stay in as new like condition for as long as possible.

Where I disagree with their assessment is that I am usually very happy with my purchase decisions after I do the research and find the best quality item for my uses. I can only think of one thing off the top of my head that I did the research on and purchased that I am not 100% satisfied with and that decision came down to two units and after buying the one I bought I now think the other one would have been a better choice. It doesn't mean that the one I bought doesn't work. It just means that after the experience of using the one I bought I have an additional data point that tells me that I probably would have been more satisfied with the other unit.

While I can say that I have struggled with what is more than likely borderline depression, that is more recent. I did my research and bought "the best" item for my uses long before that started so I don't really agree with them on that statement either.

PS as a result of my choices , I've only sold one instrument out of my collection , and that was to a dear friend who was a singer /songwriter in Nashville. For me it you take your time to find your dream, you hang on to it through thick and thin.

Oh yes. Just avoid going on the hunt for something even better, sell the previous best you could afford thing to get the new best thing, and later regret that!

Which of course I have done many times.

Based on many comments on this forum I know for sure I'm not alone. ;)
You Mean You Can Sell Stuff? I Have Never Done That. I Should Try It! :)

Back