The Brent Mason arrived - pics and initial review

Either RS Guitarworks, Theartoftone1 on fleabay, or visionguitar on fleabay. Don’t hesitate to contact the seller and see what’s in stock.

How did that change the tone - brighter? This is interesting...I like how the guitar plays, just not how it sounds. It needs more bite....
If it sounds good to you unplugged then it may well be worth tinkering a little bit to get a bit more bite when it's plugged in. Changing the volume (and tone) controls to a 575kohm pot could be one way. This would be like accessing 10.5 or 11 on the knob. perfect if you wish you could turn them up just a little more.
I'd also suggest you take a look in the control cavity. What is the value of the tone capacitor and does it have a treble bleed fitted? I don't know if the BM have a treble bleed cap on the volume, but if they don't, adding one would probably give you the bite you're after....and it's also possible that if they do have them that a previous owner has disconnected or removed it (that's what I do). A change in tone cap from a PRS standard 0.033uf to 0.022uf would also open up the top end marginally.

Well, everybody...I solved my issue. The mystery of the Brent Mason has been solved. I didn't mess with it yesterday - well, I didn't play at all yesterday. I woke up this morning with a fresh attitude and approach....

Here's what I realized. The Brent Mason has more in common with an Ibanez RG550 than it does a PRS (aside from the construction aspect). Thinking I am going to get PRS-type sounds from the BM is what was frustrating me.

Here's what I discovered:

1) Les was right. Using an amp rig built around a BIG, clean amp was key. Once I went into the Helix and had access to tons of "amps", "cabs" and "mics" I was able to create a platform that allowed the BM to begin to shine. My basic "amp" platform ended up being a Bassman, on the bright channel, set clean and "loud". I ran that through a cab I would never usually use - in the Brent Mason Rig Rundown I heard Brent mention he uses these speakers....a Mesa 4x12 with V30s. I HATE those cabs in real life, but it works well in this situation.

2) Once I had the "right" amp ("cranked" to the right level), the BM began to take on a VERY Strat-like quality. That is when I really began to realize that the guitar is really just a fancy HSH, bolt-on. Once this sunk in, it became easier to dial the guitar in. The strat tones are glorious!! The humbucker tones are great!! It's still not as bright as I was thinking it'd be, but that's okay - everything is providing usable sounds.

I did make some more adjustments to the bridge and TR to fine-tune the action and playability more. It's where I need it to be. All issues with bending are gone. So, YAY - the problems I initially had are gone. Thanks for your input and suggestions!! Everything helped.

Now, I just need to decide if I need a PRS RG550, lol....
I’ve heard Brent Mason uses Greenback speakers exclusively.

Thanks for the review. I play a DC3 and I'm looking for something similar with a HSS or HSH pickup configuration, but I love the slim neck on my DC3, it's very Strat like but more comfortable. I don't like most of the PRS neck profiles at all, just my DC3 and my old 1989 Classic Electric, which also has a very thin and fast neck. I'll continue my search.

Hoe veranderde dat de toon - helderder? Dit is interessant... Ik hou van hoe de gitaar speelt, alleen niet hoe hij klinkt. Het heeft meer bite nodig....
I also play on a PRS Brent Mason with maple neck.
I recognize a lot in what you say “I like how the guitar plays, just not how it sounds”
I'm divided by the sound... I really like how it sounds acoustically.
Very musical and full tone over the whole range with enough ring. The acoustic quality of a telecaster with maple neck is compared to the BM toys and sounds very thin…yes a bit more ring… but the tele sound cheap.

I considered buying the Telecaster Brent Mason… I try it, but the playing comfort and acoustic quality of the BM was far better.
But I liked the electric sound of the Telecaster more.

With the BM, for me, the devil is in the electronics and pickups…
Just to clarify… I find the PRS pickups very good clean in all positions. Very articulated and musical !
Also.. I don't have a dark sound as described in this forum...
BUT… I don't like the sound of the pickups with drive. It sound unnatural, compressed and hars.
And it's not my setup. I am satisfied with that (Divided By 13 FTR37 amp, nobles ODR1, Ibanez Mostortion, ryra and lexicon LCP-1.
It sounds also good with my Tom Anderson classic and G&L asat 1986.

So I decided….
I have now purchased Brent Mason Telecaster pickups 2x Seymour Duncan + Gibson mini humbucker… and am going to mount them in the PRS BM… to hear if that suits me more.

If not.. I will sell the PRS Brent Mason and I will put together a part telecaster with korina body and swamp-ash top :) and mount the telecaster pickups in that one.
Because yes… I do hear top qualities in the korina wood… fuller and more musical.
But hey .. that's just my opinion.

I also want to say that I replaced the springs with "raw vintage springs"… a big improvement… more sustain and stability and softer tremolo use.
Regards,
Dennis
Translated with Google..

Last edited:
I talked to Brent mason in depth about the prs and he didn’t seem too thrilled about it and sort of shrugged it off when I asked some questions. Of course this was a few years after it came out . I just thought it was odd that he didn’t remember any of the specs. He was probably just happy to get some free prs’s. Can’t blame him there. It’s the first bolt on prs I’ve owned and I still use it a lot . He’s just probably more of a fender dude

Hmmm, adding a 5th spring could be interesting.

I use 9s on everything now, including the BM - I restrung it right out of the box. I am digging it the more I look at the pictures, lol. I keep coming to this thread and read/look at my initial post - to consider things/ideas and to just "soak" the guitar in. It's one I REALLY wanted for a while, so more likely than not I'll reach a point where I just comes to terms with the Mason being what it is and using it where applicable.

It's interesting you mentioned rolling the volume back a little.....

At one point yesterday I felt the guitar had hit the sweet spot. I was jamming over a loop, having some fun on the bridge pickup. Then I switched to the neck position. The WHOLE vibe was killed. What happened?!?!?! Well....I had the volume rolled back a little. It sounded MAGICAL with the bridge pickup, but stunk the big one on the neck. The middle pickup was LIFELESS without the volume all the way up. I am pretty convinced I just REALLY need to continue to tinker with pickup heights.

As crazy as it sounds, it is not uncommon for me to adjust pickup height during a session. I bring a small tool kit with some Allen keys, a couple sizes of TR wrenches, and a jewelers screwdriver when I go on a call. If the vibe is ALMOST there, but I need just a little more (or less) gain/drive/oomph (whatever you call it), out comes the screwdriver and the pickup goes up or down. This MAY just become standard operating procedure for the BM - it's no big deal.

Even if I can get a ballpark, all-around balance that works with ONE type of a rig I'll be cool with that. It's one of the reasons I dig the Helix. I can build rigs for certain guitars. I watched a Brent Mason rig rundown yesterday during lunch. He was using a Bassman, PRS Custom H, and a Matchless. That's quite a range, lol. I'll probably be able to make a rig in the Helix that matches. It'll just be a matter of working with everything.
Sounds like pickup height issues to me as well. I used to follow recommendations on the PRS website (and still do for the Silver Sky, they nailed that ****) but now I set the humbuckers per Gibson Custom Shop specs for Les Paul. YMMV, good luck!

I talked to Brent mason in depth about the prs and the guy didn’t even act like he had much input. Of course this was a few years after it came out but he didn’t remember any of the specs. He was probably just happy to get some free prs’s. Can’t blame him there
Quite a contrast to David Grissom’s involvement in both of his signature guitars!

Not all guitars work for everybody , while they may be someone elses dream. Play it for a month , if no magic appears , consider it a learning experience and find one more suited to your needs.
Exactly, signature models can be tricky. It’s truly more about the player than the guitar

There have been a couple of Signature models that PRS has done that to me didn't seem to fit the player or just didn't click.
The Johnny Hilland and the Brett Mason first come to mind , I don't think the players were ( at the time ) well known enough or possible brought enough insite or personality to push Paul enough.
The Santana , DGT , Tremonti , Silver Sky, there was a clear connection to the artist and the artist was popular and or strong willed enough to push Paul and company to make something great and lasting.
The BM Sig is a Pauls guitar with a Trem and a pickguard , it s has NOTHING to do the Brett Mason , he is a well know tele player , the McCarty Paul made for Robin Ford would be a better fit IMHO .
Johnny Hiland was another country shredder known for Teles and PRS make him a CE24 with some custom electronic
The guitars didn't fit the players and the players moved on.
They are both killer guitars just not the right fit.

There have been a couple of Signature models that PRS has done that to me didn't seem to fit the player or just didn't click.
The Johnny Hilland and the Brett Mason first come to mind , I don't think the players were ( at the time ) well known enough or possible brought enough insite or personality to push Paul enough.
The Santana , DGT , Tremonti , Silver Sky, there was a clear connection to the artist and the artist was popular and or strong willed enough to push Paul and company to make something great and lasting.
The BM Sig is a Pauls guitar with a Trem and a pickguard , it s has NOTHING to do the Brett Mason , he is a well know tele player , the McCarty Paul made for Robin Ford would be a better fit IMHO .
Johnny Hiland was another country shredder known for Teles and PRS make him a CE24 with some custom electronic
Can't agree with this post enough! I have had a my share of guitars (PRS included) where I looked at the "on paper" specs or artist association and insinuated a tone/feel/response.

I have not played a BM PRS yet; but as it seems a close relative to the NF3, which I love, I certainly hope to one day.

I have, however owned a Johnny Hiland Sig....and it was nothing like I figured it would be, both from its specs and artist relation. Ya, there is no tele DNA in that guitars tone or response. It played great and did sound good, but as essentially just another dual humbucker CE, it was redundant in my collection and I moved it.

The Robben Ford, however, that thing can absolutely cop alot of that tele style attack and response. It doesn't really twang like a tele, but that attack, punch and immediacy is all there, even with the humbuckers engaged.

I agree with this. The Hiland model was a strange bird to start with. I couldn't get past the fret markers. They should have used the regular birds on it and made it a 22 fret guitar. I am wondering if Johnny didn't have a lot of input on it. He may have just been happy to get the deal and didn't give a lot of input on it. Or they handed him a few guitars and he picked the one he liked the best. When he went to EB, his signature guitar there wasn't a lot different than the standard model they started with. He is a monster player so maybe he adjusted to what he was given and went with it. We may never know.

The BM model was short lived and I am not sure I have ever seen him playing one or commenting on it. It seems like that may not have been much involvement from the artist as well.

Back