The Brent Mason arrived - pics and initial review

I agree with this. The Hiland model was a strange bird to start with. I couldn't get past the fret markers. They should have used the regular birds on it and made it a 22 fret guitar. I am wondering if Johnny didn't have a lot of input on it. He may have just been happy to get the deal and didn't give a lot of input on it. Or they handed him a few guitars and he picked the one he liked the best. When he went to EB, his signature guitar there wasn't a lot different than the standard model they started with. He is a monster player so maybe he adjusted to what he was given and went with it. We may never know.

The birds were the way they were on the Hiland because Johnny's legally blind. He can see, but he has some condition that causes his eyes not to work together correctly, so the bigger black birds are easier for him to see.

It’s pretty rare for someone who feels totally at home on a Telecaster and has been playing one for decades to switch to something else.

Real Tele players tend to stay Tele players for life.

Last edited:
The birds were the way they were on the Hiland because Johnny's legally blind. He can see, but he has some condition that causes his eyes not to work together correctly, so the bigger black birds are easier for him to see.
I knew that was why they were so big. I was just not a fan and wished they had offered an option for regular birds.

I have a 2013 Brent Mason Signature PRS. I have had it since 2014. It weighs 7.25 pounds. I almost always use it in single coil mode. I compared it to a DC3 and it didn’t sound that much different. I like the Pattern neck carve over the Pattern Regular, so I stuck with the Brent Mason. I also have a Paul’s Guitar with the TCI pickups. Different guitars for sure. I like the sound of the Paul’s Guitar more, but I am more comfortable playing the Brent Mason. I thought about ditching them both and moving to a Modern Eagle V, but I think I would regret letting go of either one.

I’ve been following this thread, great content. I just want to comment on how awesome your 1st post was, it was like reading a magazine article with professional photos. Lots of useful information in this thread, cheers to everyone participating!

When he went to EB, his signature guitar there wasn't a lot different than the standard model they started with. He is a monster player so maybe he adjusted to what he was given and went with.

Johnny never had an EBMM signature, he played older/discontinued Axis Sport guitars outfitted with his Electric City sig pickups. I love the Hiland, btw, might be my favorite PRS model (mostly due to the neck carve). I have two of them, one of which is currently at the PTC for a mod.

Johnny never had an EBMM signature, he played older/discontinued Axis Sport guitars outfitted with his Electric City sig pickups. I love the Hiland, btw, might be my favorite PRS model (mostly due to the neck carve). I have two of them, one of which is currently at the PTC for a mod.
The guitar I saw him with in the advertising was an HSS Silhouette that was slightly modified.

Back