The Brent Mason arrived - pics and initial review

markd21

The Brent Mason arrived today. There is no silly story this time around, just a little background on what I am hoping it will do - along with my initial thoughts based on a couple hours with it in the studio this afternoon.

Background:

In all my personal silliness, I am trying to find a PRS to "replace" my trusty Gretsch Duo Jet and home built Equire for recording sessions. I don't really NEED to replace them - they work. Clients like them, I am getting the tones I need....everything is hitting it "right" with those guitars. It's just one of those "guitar player" things - CAN I find a guitar that will give me what those already do....

Most of the sessions I do tend to be singer-songwriters that have songs a little more on the folk/Americana/rootsy side of the spectrum. Not at ALL what I do on my own stuff, which is a bit harder and more driven. For my own music I have reached a place where I have a few PRS guitars that are "go-to" instruments. For all those singer-songwriters I figured,

"Why not grab the most recorded guitarist's signature model????"

I mean, if it's good enough for a REAL session guy, then it should be good enough for a guy on the C-level local circuit working out of small project studios, right?

Initial Review:

Visuals:
Upon opening the case, the first thing that caught my attention was how BIG this guitar seemed to be. The 25.25 scale makes the neck look longer to me, and the shape seems longer as well. Continuing to look it over, I was quite taken back at how (typical) attractive of an instrument it is - but I was also stuck on a time machine back to the 90s and all the Super-Strats I had with HSH pickups and mini-toggles. From a visual standpoint you could say I am torn between feeling like I am looking at a "classy" instrument and a Japanese shredder. I am NOT knocked off my feet like when I see a gorgeous carved top, figured maple PRS....

Weight: Picking the guitar up for the first time I noticed it has a bit more weight than my usual PRS guitars. In fact, the only other one that feels similar in weight is my Paul's Guitar. The scale said 8.1lbs. It's still comfortable and balanced, of course, but there does seem to be a bit more girth. Could be the different shape....

Neck: The neck is SMOOTH. It's satin finished and feels like somebody powdered it, lol. Naturally, the fretwork/fingerboard feels perfect - typical PRS. The profile is beefy though. MUCH more so than I was expecting. I like a thick neck, so no big deal, but I think some people might be shocked. It feels bigger than a wide/fat - could be wrong, but that's how it felt to me.

Going back to the scale length.....I don't like it. Simply put, the added tension makes me feel I am playing a different brand. I have gotten VERY spoiled with the "sponginess" of the PRS 24.5" and 25" scale lengths. I am sure I can get used to it - especially since I have been spending MOST of my playing time on 24.5" scale guitars over the last month or so....

The guitar came with the action WAY higher than I like - which is crazy because I play with pretty high action. No big deal, I just spent a few minutes adjusting the bridge. But, even after getting the action where I like it, and doing a little truss rod adjustment, I still found bending to be a bit of a struggle. I am gonna be curious to see where this goes. Will I adjust or not?

Sound: A lot of guys would refer to this section as "tone". I have never been a fan of that word, for whatever reason. With the Mason, I find the word "sound" even MORE appropriate than usual. For a frame of reference, I have experience with the Narrow 408 pickups via my Paul's Guitar:

I understand what I should be getting out of them, and how to adjust them to give me the "best" performance. I really dig my PG. It does EXACTLY what it was advertised to do. I have used it, extensively, live and ALWAYS managed killer tones.

I think you know where I am going....

The BM? After almost an hour of adjust the 408 pickup height, I was not able to get the type of sounds I was expecting to get. Certainly nothing NEAR the PG - though I wasn't expecting it to sound like the PG.....they are TOTALLY different guitars.

It leaves me with these questions:

1) Is Korina really THAT different????
2) Could it be the suspended pickups on the pickguard????
3) Is it the steel saddles on the bridge????

The "sound" differs in that the Narrow 408 pickups sound muffled in the BM compared to the PG. I was also having a difficult time getting the output balanced. If I got the dirt sounding good, but then went to a clean sound, something was lacking. VERY frustrating.

(For reference, I was using a Rivera M100 w an EVM12L speaker - a rig I got in 1990 and used for AGES)

Positives of the electronics???

Well, I LOVE the 305/513 single coil. It sounds amazing alone. It adds character to the 408s. The blade switch works VERY well. Silly, but when you are tracking on somebody else's dime not having "screw ups" because the of the blade switch is a good thing, lol. I'll slightly move the mini-toggles to make them more ergonomic for how I flick them. The volume and tone are VERY responsive and affect the sound in a pleasing way.

Verdict:

As of right now I am NOT digging the guitar. It didn't crunch enough. It didn't twang enough. It was uncomfortable to play. It lacked the clarity I like to have in a recording guitar. I feel like the BM is just an odd instrument. I wasn't sure WHAT to expect - sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad. This time I think it's bad. I am gonna work with it for a while and see what happens. I'll open it up to see if there have been any resistors added that could suck the sound. I'm sure I just need to get used to it, and I am looking forward to spending time "learning" the guitar. It's not like I just got a CE24 with HFS/VB pickups....if I had I'd be on my way to the asylum, lol.....

Great write up. Sucks that it's not what you were hoping for. At least, not yet. In the end, if it's truly not for you, you should check out the Special Semi Hollow Limited. That thing, with the 58/15MT, and the Narrowfield should get you right where you're looking to go. IMO, the MTs sound better split than the pickups on my Pauls Guitar.

Interesting.
Keep us informed please.

For what it is worth, I don’t think the korina is the problem.

I doubt it's the wood too. I have never had a korina guitar so I don't want to rule it out - but, there are other woods I don't like, so.....

Great write up. Sucks that it's not what you were hoping for. At least, not yet. In the end, if it's truly not for you, you should check out the Special Semi Hollow Limited. That thing, with the 58/15MT, and the Narrowfield should get you right where you're looking to go. IMO, the MTs sound better split than the pickups on my Pauls Guitar.

I'm gonna spend A LOT of time with it this weekend. I'll build some Helix patches and see how things unfold. I feel pretty confident that it's a matter of getting used to what the guitar offers. I have been doing a lot of playing on my SC245 and that is about as opposite of the BM as you can get, lol....

I had been wanting to get the Special Semi Hollow Limited. It's a classy looking guitar, and that is EXACTLY what I'll go for if I move the BM on. It's just a matter of deciding on a color and whether or not I NEED to do the 10-top.

But, hopefully I can just get along with the BM. I WANT to like it, so that helps.

I’ve felt that mounting a pickup on a plastic pick guard will result in a different sound than mounting it the way PRS pickups are usually mounted. You’ve just given that theory more confirmation.

In any case, I’d do some sessions with it and see how it works in context. Might be the perfect fit in a track, since it was designed to meet a session player’s tastes and needs.

I’ve felt that mounting a pickup on a plastic pick guard will result in a different sound than mounting it the way PRS pickups are usually mounted. You’ve just given that theory more confirmation.

In any case, I’d do some sessions with it and see how it works in context. Might be the perfect fit in a track, since it was designed to meet a session player’s tastes and needs.

Right there with you on the pickguard mounted electronics. All the way back when I was playing Ibanez RGs, I felt that the 550 (pickguard HSH) and the 570 (normal mounted HSH) sounded different. I always thought the 550 had a more "muted" sound compared to the 570. Sometimes it worked, and often I preferred the "muted" sound since the band was SOOOOOO loud. The 570 had extra cut that would often translate poorly at obscene volumes.

When I played the PG back-to-back with the BM, I noticed the same type of thing. Notes had more clarity coming off the PG than the BM. In fact, it was heart-breaking at how DIFFERENT the Narrow 408s sounded in the BM than the PG. I could get decent sounds, but all of them lacked something that all my other PRS guitars have.

The Mason is NOT my only pickguard covered PRS, either. I have (2) Standard 22s, a Singlecut Standard and an EG-3. None of them have the "blanket" effect that the BM has. That is why I am wondering what's under the hood.....

Sadly, I have nothing on the books for a while so I'll have to create my OWN session, lol. I'll write a tune this weekend and mix the BM in with some piano/keys, bas, drums and see how it hangs.

More bad news. I want a maple fingerboard, so I won't give you One Million Dollars for it.

Interesting review. This should be a brighter guitar... wasn't expecting the "muted" comments at all. Will watch the thread for updates.

More bad news. I want a maple fingerboard, so I won't give you One Million Dollars for it.

Interesting review. This should be a brighter guitar... wasn't expecting the "muted" comments at all. Will watch the thread for updates.

Darn, lol....

Naturally brighter, or brighter when I turn a knob? Obviously for recording I can turn a knob - no biggie. BUT, I would rather the guitar have a natural "snap" and clarity, you know?

Darn, lol....

Naturally brighter, or brighter when I turn a knob? Obviously for recording I can turn a knob - no biggie. BUT, I would rather the guitar have a natural "snap" and clarity, you know?
Naturally. Most reports on this guitar have people saying they can get real close to strat and tele sounds out of it. I believe it has the steel bridge like my NF3 has... I would think it would be brighter than a PG.

Great write up
Some things I would try, If you are loving 24.5 and 25" scales with 10s try a set of 9.5s with your BM, I did this with my 305 and loved the results and a new set of strings will add brightness and snap.
Try adding another trem spring I ran 5 in my SCT and it really helped that guitar ( added brightness and sustain and attack )
Last sometimes you have to come to terms with a guitar, it took me sometime to like the Narrow 408s in the bridge position. I run mine pretty close to the strings at this point and run the volume down some.
Good luck to you that is a killer looking guitar

Great write up
Some things I would try, If you are loving 24.5 and 25" scales with 10s try a set of 9.5s with your BM, I did this with my 305 and loved the results and a new set of strings will add brightness and snap.
Try adding another trem spring I ran 5 in my SCT and it really helped that guitar ( added brightness and sustain and attack )
Last sometimes you have to come to terms with a guitar, it took me sometime to like the Narrow 408s in the bridge position. I run mine pretty close to the strings at this point and run the volume down some.
Good luck to you that is a killer looking guitar

Hmmm, adding a 5th spring could be interesting.

I use 9s on everything now, including the BM - I restrung it right out of the box. I am digging it the more I look at the pictures, lol. I keep coming to this thread and read/look at my initial post - to consider things/ideas and to just "soak" the guitar in. It's one I REALLY wanted for a while, so more likely than not I'll reach a point where I just comes to terms with the Mason being what it is and using it where applicable.

It's interesting you mentioned rolling the volume back a little.....

At one point yesterday I felt the guitar had hit the sweet spot. I was jamming over a loop, having some fun on the bridge pickup. Then I switched to the neck position. The WHOLE vibe was killed. What happened?!?!?! Well....I had the volume rolled back a little. It sounded MAGICAL with the bridge pickup, but stunk the big one on the neck. The middle pickup was LIFELESS without the volume all the way up. I am pretty convinced I just REALLY need to continue to tinker with pickup heights.

As crazy as it sounds, it is not uncommon for me to adjust pickup height during a session. I bring a small tool kit with some Allen keys, a couple sizes of TR wrenches, and a jewelers screwdriver when I go on a call. If the vibe is ALMOST there, but I need just a little more (or less) gain/drive/oomph (whatever you call it), out comes the screwdriver and the pickup goes up or down. This MAY just become standard operating procedure for the BM - it's no big deal.

Even if I can get a ballpark, all-around balance that works with ONE type of a rig I'll be cool with that. It's one of the reasons I dig the Helix. I can build rigs for certain guitars. I watched a Brent Mason rig rundown yesterday during lunch. He was using a Bassman, PRS Custom H, and a Matchless. That's quite a range, lol. I'll probably be able to make a rig in the Helix that matches. It'll just be a matter of working with everything.

Hmmm, adding a 5th spring could be interesting.

I use 9s on everything now, including the BM - I restrung it right out of the box. I am digging it the more I look at the pictures, lol. I keep coming to this thread and read/look at my initial post - to consider things/ideas and to just "soak" the guitar in. It's one I REALLY wanted for a while, so more likely than not I'll reach a point where I just comes to terms with the Mason being what it is and using it where applicable.

It's interesting you mentioned rolling the volume back a little.....

At one point yesterday I felt the guitar had hit the sweet spot. I was jamming over a loop, having some fun on the bridge pickup. Then I switched to the neck position. The WHOLE vibe was killed. What happened?!?!?! Well....I had the volume rolled back a little. It sounded MAGICAL with the bridge pickup, but stunk the big one on the neck. The middle pickup was LIFELESS without the volume all the way up. I am pretty convinced I just REALLY need to continue to tinker with pickup heights.

As crazy as it sounds, it is not uncommon for me to adjust pickup height during a session. I bring a small tool kit with some Allen keys, a couple sizes of TR wrenches, and a jewelers screwdriver when I go on a call. If the vibe is ALMOST there, but I need just a little more (or less) gain/drive/oomph (whatever you call it), out comes the screwdriver and the pickup goes up or down. This MAY just become standard operating procedure for the BM - it's no big deal.

Even if I can get a ballpark, all-around balance that works with ONE type of a rig I'll be cool with that. It's one of the reasons I dig the Helix. I can build rigs for certain guitars. I watched a Brent Mason rig rundown yesterday during lunch. He was using a Bassman, PRS Custom H, and a Matchless. That's quite a range, lol. I'll probably be able to make a rig in the Helix that matches. It'll just be a matter of working with everything.

Its to good a guitar not to be able to find something really cool !!!
I have been changing how I get sounds used to be a 100% pedal guy :) but now I am finding that I like running my amps with more gain and using the Vol and Tone pots more

I noticed that in one video a while back, BM was using a Magnatone. Those are VERY loud, clean amps. You have to go ear-splitting to get them to break up, in my experience.

So maybe that’s part of the thing.

I think some of the snap in a PRS comes from that maple cap. It’s funny how the folks who think tone (er...sound) is all in the pickups can be so wrong. Seems to me as a layman that there are lots and lots of variables that affect tone...uh...sound. ;)

Last edited:
I noticed that in one video a while back, BM was using a Magnatone. Those are VERY loud, clean amps. You have to go ear-splitting to get them to break up, in my experience.

I think some of the snap in a PRS comes from that maple cap. It’s funny how the folks who think tone’s (er...sound’s) all in the pickups can be so wrong. Seems to me as a layman that there are lots and lots of variables that affect tone...uh...sound. ;)
I thought it was all in the fretboard? :D

I think some of the snap in a PRS comes from that maple cap. It’s funny how the folks who think tone’s (er...sound’s) all in the pickups can be so wrong. Seems to me as a layman that there are lots and lots of variables that affect tone...uh...sound. ;)

Yeah, he seems to be a pedal guy. I am a Class A dude these days - give me a driven AC15 all day and I am happy. TOTALLY different vibe and approach.

I agree about the maple. And, about variables? That BM almost has too many, lol.....it's just a puzzle. A big, clean amp is a new (not really, but you what I mean) approach to try. Get a Hiwatt going with a compressor and a few boosts....see what happens.

Back