The Boutique Pick Roundup

I think I posted in a related thread that I was going to try the V-Pick small ruby red (2.75mm). I got it, seems pretty good, but feels surprisingly far too small, at least right now.

So I've ordered another few V-Picks - Traditional, and one each of medium and extra large triangular sharp.

Maybe think of it this way, "the right tool for the right job". I'm keeping my V-pick large round as my "go-to", but also the real turtle picks for crisp stuff, and a thick one (4mm) for speed runs & chunking out certain stuff like old school jazz & gypsy jazz type rhythms. Find your main pick and keep a couple for specialty.

As I primarily play acoustic, had been generally satisfied with my Blue Chips. But now playing electric, was experimenting again. The V Pick has the best grip, but might not be the right sound. And for a variety of reasons, am no longer playing my turtles. Another friend is trying to get me to try a super thick pick, but have never been able to draw out a strong tone with one. My attack angle just seems wrong for it to work.

As I primarily play acoustic, had been generally satisfied with my Blue Chips. But now playing electric, was experimenting again. The V Pick has the best grip, but might not be the right sound. And for a variety of reasons, am no longer playing my turtles. Another friend is trying to get me to try a super thick pick, but have never been able to draw out a strong tone with one. My attack angle just seems wrong for it to work.
Sounds like you play more chords than single note lines (correct me if I'm wrong), that may be the real issue and might dictate what pick to lean towards, I'm the opposite, a couple jazz chords and a whole lot of running around, that's why I seek a buttery hornlike tone.
Maybe it's the tip shape, I find my "go-to" with round tips is mainly good for jazz & fusion, but when I get a wild hair up my butt and wanna go off all Randy Rhodes about things I'll grab something with a sharper tip (like my turtles) for the attack and "immediate" tone. (On smoother type music like jazz & round tips there is an "after tone" in the equation, especially on legato playing.)
Try the large round or pointed, at 2.75mm it might give you enough tone & playability, I found it had just as much warmth & bottom as the super thick 4mm pick and played better.

Sounds like you play more chords than single note lines (correct me if I'm wrong), that may be the real issue and might dictate what pick to lean towards, I'm the opposite, a couple jazz chords and a whole lot of running around, that's why I seek a buttery hornlike tone.
Maybe it's the tip shape, I find my "go-to" with round tips is mainly good for jazz & fusion, but when I get a wild hair up my butt and wanna go off all Randy Rhodes about things I'll grab something with a sharper tip (like my turtles) for the attack and "immediate" tone. (On smoother type music like jazz & round tips there is an "after tone" in the equation, especially on legato playing.)
Try the large round or pointed, at 2.75mm it might give you enough tone & playability, I found it had just as much warmth & bottom as the super thick 4mm pick and played better.

Thanks. Usually have been staying in the 1.2 to 1.4mm range for thickness. Yes, a lot of acoustic chords. Especially in larger jam sessions. And when I've tried thicker picks have usually had to increase attack enough so things start to rattle and buzz and no longer get a good tone.

Your definition of immediate is what I consider the quack of the note when a pick hits it. And a good pick to me has a nice quack, but some body to the tone. V Picks don't seem to have enough body. Others do, and the Wegen Bluegrass might be the best for my ears. However, I can't grip them and not have them move, even with the holes. (Which has been the most common complaint about Wegen in bluegrass guitar circles).

Will look for a few 2.75 and give it a try. Cheap enough to experiment and right now my band is in flux so I need something to work on.

Thanks. Usually have been staying in the 1.2 to 1.4mm range for thickness. Yes, a lot of acoustic chords. Especially in larger jam sessions. And when I've tried thicker picks have usually had to increase attack enough so things start to rattle and buzz and no longer get a good tone.

Your definition of immediate is what I consider the quack of the note when a pick hits it. And a good pick to me has a nice quack, but some body to the tone. V Picks don't seem to have enough body. Others do, and the Wegen Bluegrass might be the best for my ears. However, I can't grip them and not have them move, even with the holes. (Which has been the most common complaint about Wegen in bluegrass guitar circles).

Will look for a few 2.75 and give it a try. Cheap enough to experiment and right now my band is in flux so I need something to work on.
Yeah the grip on the Wegens stinks, but they sound good.
This is what I've figured out about acrylic and denser material picks, the difference between the immediate and after tones is much more profound by the attack than other less dense materials. If you slap downstrokes, get plucky on the upstrokes or strum chords aggressively, you'll get that spank or quack and significantly less after tone. On the other hand, for what I do (a lot of single note jazz lines punctuated with soft chords) if I play really relaxed on my right hand like V-pick says in their literature & website, I got the exact opposed results.

Huggy B - Thanks for the advice. Stopped at a store after work and grabbed some Dunlop Big Stubby in 2.0 and 3.0. So far, the 3.0 works better for my playing. Both tone and ease of grip. Will be testing it tomorrow at an old-time music jam where I chord away on acoustic for a couple of hours. Looks like one of the thicker V picks may also be in my future.

The thicker pick with a point seems to work on the first honeymoon night. Will see if it holds up. Good tone on the PRS with no quack on the 3.0 and very little on the 2.0. Which is something I want at this time. Even if it isn't a vintage '20s/'30s tone.

I think I posted in a related thread that I was going to try the V-Pick small ruby red (2.75mm). I got it, seems pretty good, but feels surprisingly far too small, at least right now.

So I've ordered another few V-Picks - Traditional, and one each of medium and extra large triangular sharp.
So...I got the V-picks I ordered yesterday.

The Traditional feels like a regular pick, just extra thick, and slightly smaller - it is about 2mm shorter than a typical Dunlop tortex, for example. But it is also a touch wider and "fatter" in the lower part of the "V" (pointy end). Imagine taking a regular pick shape and compressing it vertically, I suppose. Not sure if I find it a titch too small as a result.

The Freakishly-Large Pointed is perhaps just a touch too big. Not sure yet.

I received a Large Pearly Gates Pointed instead of the Medium I ordered. I think the large is about the right size for me.

I need to play a bunch more, timewise, before I can come to any conclusions. Right now I could use any of them except maybe the small ruby red and not really feel awkward. Not sure if I will make a permanent change away from the Tortex picks I currently use (yellow for elec, purple for acoustic).

OK, so that didn't take long. For electric, I definitely prefer the Large Pointed, triangular shape (I have a Pearly Gates, but I assume the clear will feel similar).

I figured out what my hand/fingers were expecting, and was therefore "missing" or "wrong" on the other sizes/shapes:

The height of a regular tortex or "traditionally shaped" pick causes the very top to touch the second segment of my index finger, about 1/16" beyond the joint crease, at least the way I hold them. I seem to use that as a sensor for where my pick is, and perhaps I even use the folding of my finger to adjust the pick attack. I'll have to examine the bio-mechanics a bit more.

The V-Pick traditional is just barely too small - doesn't touch the second segment. The Freakishly Large is too big - touches too much of the second segment. The Ruby Red Small is waaaay too small.

So the Large Triangular Pointed 2.75mm V-Picks seem to be what I prefer. It feels just right, to quote Goldilocks. I don't notice anything positive nor negative from the other two points of the triangular shape in terms of feel in the hand.

The question is: do I play any better or differently using one of them?

It seems my fast picking is better than using a Tortex - probably due to the sharper point.

Not sure if my finesse-style is any better or worse. That will take a lot more playing to suss out.

I'll keep the other picks around to try out again every now and them, except the small ruby red I will probably give to a friend who like to play with tiny (to me) picks.

OK, so that didn't take long. For electric, I definitely prefer the Large Pointed, triangular shape (I have a Pearly Gates, but I assume the clear will feel similar).

I figured out what my hand/fingers were expecting, and was therefore "missing" or "wrong" on the other sizes/shapes:

The height of a regular tortex or "traditionally shaped" pick causes the very top to touch the second segment of my index finger, about 1/16" beyond the joint crease, at least the way I hold them. I seem to use that as a sensor for where my pick is, and perhaps I even use the folding of my finger to adjust the pick attack. I'll have to examine the bio-mechanics a bit more.

The V-Pick traditional is just barely too small - doesn't touch the second segment. The Freakishly Large is too big - touches too much of the second segment. The Ruby Red Small is waaaay too small.

So the Large Triangular Pointed 2.75mm V-Picks seem to be what I prefer. It feels just right, to quote Goldilocks. I don't notice anything positive nor negative from the other two points of the triangular shape in terms of feel in the hand.

The question is: do I play any better or differently using one of them?

It seems my fast picking is better than using a Tortex - probably due to the sharper point.

Not sure if my finesse-style is any better or worse. That will take a lot more playing to suss out.

I'll keep the other picks around to try out again every now and them, except the small ruby red I will probably give to a friend who like to play with tiny (to me) picks.

You and I are of a similar mind on this (Goldilocks), after doing a little more re-evaluating of these the picks (medium round, large round, freakishly large round, 4 mm B-flat) I have settled towards the medium and the 4 mm. I'm also going to experiment with a couple other of the 4 mm picks, on top of that I'm still going to keep an ear to the rail on high end picks in case I find a better "glass slipper".

I (like you) have honed in on the subtle, small, yet huge differences in size and shape that affect playability (the reason I did this research) because I was already happy with my tone, so as long as I could get a tone dark enough the rest is all in my fingers, mind, and heart. The fun part is finding one that excels your playing and makes it easier to say what you want to say on your instrument without physical factors holding it back.

Re: "play any better" & "fast picking is better" - I had no doubt of that as I've used Tortex, and from what I can see/feel, the design of these acrylic picks and the smoothness of this dense material is the factor that makes playing easier, smoother, and faster. The blue-chip picks are just as fast, but I like the tone of the round tip acrylic a little better -and- the round tip V picks are actually a little faster than their pointed stuff, but they are not as articulate. I'm more of a jazz player but the next time I order I will pick up a medium pointed for when I want to pretend I'm Joe Satriani.:p

This are my exotic picks. Generic representation, but exactly the same.
https://jaxmusicsupply.com/guitar-p...s-12-pack-white-small-9001r-guitar-banjo.html

I play electric, acoustic/electric and acoustic with a thumbpick and my fingernails. Has to be fingernails. I can't stand the feel of my fingers on the strings. Gives me the "heebee-jebees."
For banjo, I use a thumbpick and metal fingerpicks.
I bought a box of 50 about 20 years ago for like $20 and I still have twenty or so left. Should be good for a while yet.
Everyone is different ... makes the world go round.
:)

THE BOUTIQUE PICK ROUNDUP

After much research (ahh..just surfing the web:cool:) and diligent hours (only when I didn't have something better to do:rolleyes:) of painstaking scrutiny (checking em out for the heck of ito_O) using the most advance technology (uh..my fingers & ears:p) I have come up with an evaluation of several (actually, only what I could get my hands on fast;)) of the boutique picks on the market. Here's what I've found.

Turtle shell – I'm starting out with the real thing (the shell of the Hawksbill SeaTurtle) as a gauge because the qualities of tone and playability are what most of these “boutique” pick makers target. A warm midrange tone and smooth playability over the strings are what have made this the Holy Grail of guitar picks. Unfortunately the Hawksbill is a protected species so unless you have some pre-1970s they are basically unobtainable, hence the innovations of some cutting edge pick makers.

Blue-chip – Controversial for their price, rave reviewed by their customers, touted for their proven durability, and playability, this is a top-notch product. I could not warrant spending that much and found the tone slightly brighter than T shell but very close and playability was very nice.

Wegen – A thick gypsy jazz pick with a smooth attack, the tone was as thick as these picks but I did not gel with the pre-made grip and was not as articulate as I like. Produced loud ringing notes especially acoustically, very noticeable above the others reviewed but seemed more suited to rhythm playing.

Dunlop primetone – Yes, some of the larger manufacturers have stepped into this game with the best of what they have to offer. I have been using their jazztone 208 for years (excellent thick tone) but did not feel that their primetone was significantly better.

V-pick – This one was a huge surprise for me, I had researched pick materials and found that acrylic was considered to be one of the brightest sounding materials for guitar picks. I was very surprised to find that their slightly rounded tip models that had enough thickness to them (2mm and up) produced a very warm mid range tone. Along with the fact that it glided over the strings as well as the blue-chip at about $4-5 bucks makes this a real winner and I will be experimenting with other models in their very wide product selection.

Gravity – I have only found models from this company in stores that had very sharp tips and edges which produced tones much brighter than I like but they are very articulate and I can see them being the "go to" item for speed metal and fast playing.

Red Bear – (haven't got my hands on one yet, order pending, behind in production)

*Honorable mention: D'Andrea Pro Plec – These actually are just average on my playability scale and not considered a "boutique" pick, but the tone was really, really nice on their thicker gauge, and at .75 ¢ a pop you can't go wrong.

The biggest revelation I found was that the design was equally as important as the material. The simple math is: size/mass/thickness/tip shape formulated in various ways shapes your tone as much as the density and chemical compound of the material. Many of the manufacturers provide options on the shape of these pics like left-handed or right-handed speed bevels or rounded bevels to suit individual players tastes.

I hope this posting will be useful to all in their quest for the ultimate tone and playability worthy of these fine instruments (...ahem...PRS:D) that we love so much.

** Gear used for this evaluation: PRS HB II, PRS 408, Mesa recto verb.

H.B.

I love having the time to experiment with tone - and all the things that shape it. Good info, by the way. Guess you and I both need to try a Red Bear. Lots of guys swear by them.

When you get some time, try a thicker Gravity pick that specifically does not have a sharp edge.

i-vNHX9bQ-L.jpg

Guess you and I both need to try a Red Bear.

This is an old thread, I've been almost exclusively Red Bear for the past couple years. Still have some acrylic stuff to speed demon with but I found the hand cut line of V-picks to be superior to any of the molded stuff like Gravity.

I have had several different V-Picks, some very thick. Liked them all. Tend to gravitate to the 3mm ones, some with polished edges, some rough.

Lately, discovered some Gravity picks in a variety. They had super discounts on top of the package price for 8. My fave models are Axis, Striker and Tripp.

Back