The bored as sin bucket list

veinbuster

Zombie Three, DFZ
Even though I’ve been retired for four years, this responsible distancing is bringing me down. I’ve never been one for bucket lists, because it too strongly implies accepting an end, which isn’t my nature.

I do like having things to look forward to. Places to go, things to do, things to buy...so...ignore the cost, ignore the space/time it might take...

What does the future hold? I’m stealing your best ideas.

I've got at least 10 tears until retirement and I'm counting the months!

One of my selfish goals is to have a really nice acoustic guitar. This is one that I should make happen sooner than later.

My wife really wants to skydive at least once so I'll help get that accomplished

Get my son through HS and on to better things. He is sooo much like I was at that age it justifies my worry.

I've been recording a bunch at home and I really really really want a consistently great tone that I can be proud of every single time! This one sounds silly I'm sure but this is different. I've made decisions on guitars, pickups and amps based on live performing that I've done in the past but this recording thing is just a whole different beast.

I had a couple of prs amps that I just didn't fall in love with. One of those was an HXDA. Les had urged me to keep it and work with it more but I didn't listen and moved it. I kind of feel that amp would be perfect for my current situation.

I want a recorded tone that others are impressed with not just me.

We are moving my stepson today so today I wish for a good dose of youth!

I haven’t really thought about this much. One goal my wife and I have though, is after we retire, we want to see a game in every Major League Baseball ballpark. Also, she wants to go to Hawaii and I want to go to Grand Canyon. If she behaves, we might do both together. :p

One of my selfish goals is to have a really nice acoustic guitar. This is one that I should make happen sooner than later.

My wife really wants to skydive at least once so I'll help get that accomplished
For acoustic, I think it’s highly beneficial to try some candidates with another guitar player. Acoustics can sound very different from the other side of the sound hole. Come to my place for a bit and try a pretty wide variety in a no pressure environment.

I took my dad skydiving on his 60th birthday. He had been through paratrooper school in his 20s but had missed the thrill for a long time. It was awesome. Definitely get her up there.

I accept there will be an end to me. In fact I long ago adopted a carpe diem outlook. The one long term plan is to see and ride my bike in all 50 States. We’ve knocked out 30 to date. We did ride the entire Natchez Trace. I recommend it.
I’ve followed your tours via an older forum. I think I did 10 states/provinces in one trip last year during the Tour de France. My wife has been collecting states for a while, for different reasons, but I usually travel with a bike so might be able to catch up to you - not on the bike, but in number of places.

I haven’t really thought about this much. One goal my wife and I have though, is after we retire, we want to see a game in every Major League Baseball ballpark. Also, she wants to go to Hawaii and I want to go to Grand Canyon. If she behaves, we might do both together. :p
When I traveled for work a lot, I found it entertaining to see how many away games I could see for the local team - Blue Jays. I think I got about half of the American League parks.

For acoustic, I think it’s highly beneficial to try some candidates with another guitar player. Acoustics can sound very different from the other side of the sound hole. Come to my place for a bit and try a pretty wide variety in a no pressure environment.

I took my dad skydiving on his 60th birthday. He had been through paratrooper school in his 20s but had missed the thrill for a long time. It was awesome. Definitely get her up there.

Oh man that is a very generous offer that I just might take you up on down the road.

And I couldn't agree more listening to somebody else play. That's very sound advice.

I listened to a gunplay a Taylor 814 and it sounded sooooo good. I've not played a core prs but the 2 SEs I played sounded very nice.

The new Martin's sounded stale to me but a vintage Martin could work.

Where are you located?

For as much driving i do for work, i would rather do the following in my Mustang:

Drive the Dragons Tail
Drive the Mid Ohio Road Track
Drive Route 66
Drive the Adirondacks
Drive Route 9 spurs down the Hudson Valley and back up again
Drive the Autoban

Go on a cruise to Alaska
Go on a River cruise through Europe
Visit Japan

Super modify my Mustang

Blow up my house and build a log cabin style mini mansion in its place. With its own music room and 3 car garage.

I can keep going.... but i dont want to hog the thread.

I’m blessed to have reached retirement, and the with nature of my job that wouldn’t have been possible for me without the faith that my last day is set. Some call it fatalism, I prefer faithalism. The beauty of it, whatever your beliefs, is that it frees me to enjoy all the time between now and then. While I do believe my last day is known, it’s not known to me!

I love places with long history, and would love to spend a few months to a few years searching through Europe, and the Middle and Far East, experiencing the sites and cultures. Having kept up with a few Van-life people on YouTube lately, taking off in a well-built van to tour the sites in North America would also be a blast. My wife and I love driving place to place and finding surprises along the way. This part of the dream might actually happen! We have done the Natchez Trace and Grand Canyon together, both are worth the trip!

I have a very functional guitar/amp collection, but would enjoy chasing down the instruments of my influences, from Elvis and the Beatles to Tom Petty and David Gilmour. This is sparked by a 64 Super Reverb I’ve had for decades. It still sounds inspirational and true to its era. A full collection of vintage equipment would be awesome. And a Private Stock 513, just for balance. And a double neck Dragon. Just because.

As every parent does, I would do what is possible to see all of my kids live lives of fulfillment. Not just happy, but with depth, faith, and meaning. We have 5, and I have learned not to expect all to ever be in a great place at the same time, but I can hope. It’s a bucket list, right?

Last edited:
For as much driving i do for work, i would rather do the following in my Mustang:

Drive the Dragons Tail
Drive the Mid Ohio Road Track
Drive Route 66
Drive the Adirondacks
Drive Route 9 spurs down the Hudson Valley and back up again
Drive the Autoban.
I’ve done most of that, still waiting in the Autoban.
I quite enjoyed Mid Ohio on a motorcycle - not the most technical course I’ve been on, but really nice flow so you could get a nice rhythm going.

And it’s only fair that I share some of mine:
Terror Twins Tour North East
Natchez Trace bicycle ride
MEV (or facsimile there of)
the ultimate archtop
a haircut
AND if you do decide to ride the Trace check when the gardens and homes are open .... used to be October, with a chance to get into some historic homes that aren't normally open to the public.

Oh man that is a very generous offer that I just might take you up on down the road.

And I couldn't agree more listening to somebody else play. That's very sound advice.
Where are you located?
In the Toronto area, so not as convenient as some, but I have spare rooms, lots of guitars and a well stocked beverage fridge.

To make it to the Chicago area and thank in person two of the coolest dudes on here and meet any that live nearby-ish!

To make it to Experience and meet all you other cool dudettes/dudes!

To welcome those that want to see Scotland, to my neck of the Glens!

Oh and an SAS/Studio or NF3, just because. And a DGT and a RW necked 513. Well it is a sinful bucket list!!;)

Did I say Santana, I meant to say Santana.

Back