The best concert experience you've ever had?

Best bar band ?

These two deserve a word

T Rocket and the Barking Guitars,
Holiday bar , Geneva NY Around 71

chuck prophet and the mission express
Twin oaks roadhouse Penngrove Ca
Last Sunday night

So Yanni wasn't yawny?

(You were all thinking it...)

He came to my country of origin. It was a 3rd world country and Yanni was sponsored by a cigarette company, so the concert was free. Nobody in my country knew much about him, except that he had long hair. I think that a lot of rockers thought it was going to be a rock concert because... Yanni had long hair. I was expecting a metal concert myself. But when he played... oh my gosh... it was an amazing experience. Totally unexpected!

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix, Fall 1968 Minneapolis Auditorium. Only a 45 minute set, but that was my first ever rock concert. And besides, it was Hendrix, man!
Rolling Stones, Fall 1994 Rice Stadium on U of UT campus. Great set list and the best concert sound I've ever heard.
Jethro Tull, Kingsbury Hall on U of UT campus. Small venue, decent seats, joy to watch Martin Barre work the fretboard. This one extra special because wife (at the time) and I went with a great friend of mine who is no longer with us.
ZZ Top, Fall 2003 Usana Amphitheater UT. Amazed that three guys can put up such a huge wall of sound, play so tight, and make it look so easy. This one also special because one of my good friends present that night is no longer with us.

Oh man...there are so many to choose from. It may not be my "best", but the first one that comes to mind is the first festival that Phish hosted at the decommissioned air force base in Plattsburgh, NY in the summer of 1996. It was a two day camping festival that that drew between 70,000-85,000 fans (in 1996!!!). It featured only Phish playing 3 sets each day, although there was also the "Clifford Ball Orchestra" that played some Debussy and other classics in between Phish sets one of he days. One of the days featured a bonus "4th set" with the band loading some gear and jumping on a flatbed truck that was covered in X-mas lights and drove slowly up and down the runways where the people were camping and played a long ambient jam...it was very surreal. On top of that there was artists installation all over the festival grounds, so there was a lot to do.

It was a lot for my 16 year old brain to take in, but man did it open my eyes and ears to what was/is possible in the music world. Particularly in a time when music execs and MTV was forcing a lot of horrible homogenized music into our ears. To go to this event for a band that was largely unknown to most people and see what they could accomplish on their own. It was pretty inspiring. And the music...oh man, it was amazing, but I realize that is a subjective topic (especially with a band like Phish, as they are a band people seem to love to hate) so I won't go deep in that. I will say that this festival was not only a game changer for me as a music fan. The Clifford Ball was the precursor to what would become Bonaroo in 2002. Many of the organizers, artists, and managers of the Clifford Ball would go on to form Superfly, the agency that brought Bonaroo.

Anyway...it was an amazing time and I am so glad to have it in my memory banks.

Jimi Hendrix, Fall 1968 Minneapolis Auditorium. Only a 45 minute set, but that was my first ever rock concert. And besides, it was Hendrix, man!
Rolling Stones, Fall 1994 Rice Stadium on U of UT campus. Great set list and the best concert sound I've ever heard.
Jethro Tull, Kingsbury Hall on U of UT campus. Small venue, decent seats, joy to watch Martin Barre work the fretboard. This one extra special because wife (at the time) and I went with a great friend of mine who is no longer with us.
ZZ Top, Fall 2003 Usana Amphitheater UT. Amazed that three guys can put up such a huge wall of sound, play so tight, and make it look so easy. This one also special because one of my good friends present that night is no longer with us.
Your post reminds me of a Rush concert we saw at Riverbend. Group of 6 of us went. Myself and one other are the only ones still around. All 4 of the others died in their early 50s. :(

9p2Qf9q.jpg

yeah, I've mentioned the "dark period" a few years ago, where we were losing my parents, other close family members, and close friends, about one every 3 months for almost 3 years. I was completely numb after the first few. BAD time in my life.

yeah, I've mentioned the "dark period" a few years ago, where we were losing my parents, other close family members, and close friends, about one every 3 months for almost 3 years. I was completely numb after the first few. BAD time in my life.

But now you have all of us crazy dudes to keep you sane!;)

Yeah, we are starting to drop like flies, hey? At this point in my life, not too many regrets about things I did, but more about things I didn't do. Example: Why the hell did I not learn how to play guitar when I was younger?!?! D'oh!

For me, it is was Blue Oyster Cult with the J. Geils Band, March 3, 1978, at the Baltimore Civic Center. That was the year the FDA came down hard on Blue Oyster Cult for their laser light show due to radiation exposure.

Last edited:
I've seen Stevie Ray Vaughn, ZZ Top and the Who. For me the best shows were the small venues.

I saw Jeff Beck, and talked to Beth Hart (his singer) for 20 minutes, before they went on.

Alabama, when they were playing for tips. I bought Jeff Cook a beer and told him that I was watching him closely, because I was trying to learn his licks. After that, he felt like he had to entertain me by telling me jokes.

Brain Setzer in a club with 200 people. I was about 5 feet from him, when Julie in a cat suit, brought my girl friend and I on stage, to dance with them.

The Smashing Pumpkins has been my favorite band since I was a teenager. I've seen them many times through the years, but one time I treated myself to front row tickets. That also happened to be the show they decided to livestream. I'm the one crying through Disarm.

Oh man, that's a callous question. I have been to so many concerts, and it would be challenging for me to highlight only one. I'll point out a couple of shows, and the first one has to be the Daft Punk - Alive at Coachella in 2006. Man, that concert was mad! The second one has to be Radiohead - Glastonbury Festival in 1997. I was very young back then. My dad insisted on going to this concert, and I have to admit, I don't regret going there. Now, living in 2021, having this damn pandemic, it is almost impossible to attend any concert. Even the music that comes out today is not that great. The only place where I found a proper music chart is show4me. There you can find the best songs of the best artists. Basically, that's the only place where you can find some proper charts.

Last edited:
Back