The best color for a PRS in your opinion?

This thread's been going on for a while, but I should probably remind y'all of this earlier one here:

Not mine, but my all time favorite:
Dragon-s-Breath.jpg

This one is also pretty sweet, and it IS mine :cool:
Core-HB-Front-Back.jpg

This thread is filled with opinions and preferences. It shouldn’t be what color you like the best, it’s what color is the best.

Vintage Yellow is the best
Here's mine. I love it, but I'd argue that VY isn't actually the best finish. I mean, it’s nice and evrything…whatever. It won't look as good 100 years from now.

81aB0Cr.jpg

After much consideration, and after owning and loving a fairly wide variety of PRS finishes from time to time, I‘ve determined that the best finish PRS ever produced is Vintage McCarty Burst. OK, it’s not radically different from VY.

Here’s mine. Bottom line, I just can’t escape the thought that this is the most classic, beautiful stringed instrument color of all time, a color that will never seem dated or less-than-desirable.

9jbLbz1.jpg

When this ages and fades (it’s a 2014 and so far hasn’t fadded), it will still be desirable.

The color will always blend well with the wood. 100 years from now it’ll still look the business.

”Les, you will (a) be long dead, and (b) no one will be interested in guitars except museum curators. What do you care about what happens 100 years from now?"

"Props to you. That's a very good question! And the answer is, how the f#ck should I know? I'll be dead!" ;)

Last edited:
Has the finish faded? I have been looking at either laguna or cobalt blue but I'm worried about them fading like the faded whale blue finishes.
None of my guitars have faded, but I keep them out of direct sunlight and only use LED bulbs - minimize UV and you’ll minimize fading.

I have the following colors:
Aquamarine
Laguna (smokeburst)
Ocean Mist Glow
A Nik Huber in Atlantic Blue.

My last house I was able to control the light levels really well, so I hung them on the wall. My current house I can’t, so I have kept them all in their cases.

Here's mine. I love it, but I'd argue that VY isn't actually the best finish. I mean, it’s nice and evrything…whatever. It won't look as good 100 years from now.

81aB0Cr.jpg

After much consideration, and after owning and loving a fairly wide variety of PRS finishes from time to time, I‘ve determined that the best finish PRS ever produced is Vintage McCarty Burst. OK, it’s not radically different from VY.

Here’s mine. Bottom line, I just can’t escape the thought that this is the most classic, beautiful stringed instrument color of all time, a color that will never seem dated or less-than-desirable.

9jbLbz1.jpg

When this ages and fades (it’s a 2014 and so far hasn’t fadded), it will still be desirable.

The color will always blend well with the wood. 100 years from now it’ll still look the business.

”Les, you will (a) be long dead, and (b) no one will be interested in guitars except museum curators. What do you care about what happens 100 years from now?"

"Props to you. That's a very good question! And the answer is, how the f#ck should I know? I'll be dead!" ;)
In a hundred years from now it will be the same color as Vintage Yellow!

I’m surprised how many people said charcoal, I thought with all of the vivid finishes PRS offers the grays and blacks would be less loved.

For me if it’s a solid finish I love black top with natural back. For transparent finishes I really like fades and dragons breath finishes in blues and greens.

Here’s one for all the charcoal lovers.

fWJdk1Z_d.webp

dGRxwIz_d.webp
Charcoal really means Charcool..
LxX6Awz.jpg

I’m surprised how many people said charcoal, I thought with all of the vivid finishes PRS offers the grays and blacks would be less loved.

For me if it’s a solid finish I love black top with natural back. For transparent finishes I really like fades and dragons breath finishes in blues and greens.

Here’s one for all the charcoal lovers.

Charcoal really means Charcool..

PRS's "Charcoal" is the bomb. I ain't talking about Charcoal Burst or anything else that bursts and/or fades to black on the edges or back--just plain old "Charcoal" with the Natural back, sides, & neck. Holy crap does it look deeply multi-dimensional in person.

"Come on, Modal--it's just a basic gray/black color. How could it possibly be that interesting?"

I don't know, man, it just is. Trust me; go find one and look at it with your own eyes.

I'm haunted by river blue. I can't escape it. I'll be looking at PRS guitars online, and I'll happen upon one that arrests my attention. I'll think to myself, "it does not know it yet, but it's mine," and then, boom, I look at the specs and it's river blue.

But since everyone seems to love the blues, let's put in a vote for charcoal, too. So nice. Aqua violet gets a shout-out, too.

Last edited:
Back