The best color for a PRS in your opinion?

I am partial to blue, charcoal, or trampas green, though the main requirement for me is a natural back. The contrast of the back, natural binding, and colored top is what I always see when I think of a PRS.

Since I don't have one in Faded Whale Blue, Faded Blue Jean or Charcoal Cherry Burst yet (and I want, oh yes), it would have to be one of those colors. Silly me.

Second-best:

Best:

Edit: I also occurs to me that I'm a sucker for Black Gold and Tiger Eye. But, wtf.
This has to be the absolute best example of Northern Lights finish I've seen. Something about how this specific wood took that stain...it's like it was meant to be or something. Never get tired of seeing it.

I'm also a huge fan of classic colors like McCarty burst. One of my favorites lately in the Private Stock realm has been McCarty glow. There are some incredible looking pieces with that finish out there.

This has to be the absolute best example of Northern Lights finish I've seen. Something about how this specific wood took that stain...it's like it was meant to be or something. Never get tired of seeing it.

I'm also a huge fan of classic colors like McCarty burst. One of my favorites lately in the Private Stock realm has been McCarty glow. There are some incredible looking pieces with that finish out there.
It's kind of an irresistible version of the finish, for sure, though I confess it was luck of the draw. When they announced the model, Jack already had one on order, so I reserved it.

But yeah, I love my McCarty Burst McCarty Singlecut (and isn't that a mouthful?).

Charcoal burst is my favorite. McCarty burst is up there. Other close ones is Burnt Orange. Aquabluex Blue. Olive (the black, green and I believe purple). A very underrated and a rare find is the Blood Orange burst (for me it has to have the black around the edges), they should call it Halloween burst lol. Bonnie Pink is a staple for sure.

Last edited:
The first PRS I ever saw in person was in 1993 and it was a version of red, Red Tiger I think. I was in awe. So I don't know that it's the best color but it's the color that always comes to mind. I don't even have a Red Tiger guitar but it sticks with me.

Very partial to the Firemist Burgundy solid color on my 594.
LE5TTnk.jpg

Don’t listen to Sergio, his body was inhabited by an alien one night, and it permanently robbed him of his ability to appreciate blue. It’s blue, blue, or more blue as the best color. After that, every other color is fantastic.

Back