The best and worst of PRS!!

Blackbear

I nominate 57/08 pickups as the best pickups PRS has ever made, in fact they are the best humbucking pickup ever made by anyone (including vintage PAF). I've played guitar since the late 60's and have owned several vintage instruments along the way but nothing sounds as sweet as the 57/08's.

The worst for me has been the HFS, I bought several PRSi in the 90's and ended up selling because I couldn't bond with the HFS + the five way rotary switch. The HFS was to hot and bright for my amps and when I would dial down the volume it seemed to get thin. I would be curious to know what pickup PRS has sold the most in the last couple of years.
(Sean, can you give us that info?)

I don't think you need actual production numbers to know what isn't doing well in the market. Just look at which pups are no longer made. That said, not all pups out of production were bad, The Deep Dish 2, as an example, might be my all-time favorite PRS pup. And the HFS just rips through a Budda Twinmaster 10. Not so much through some of my other amps...

I agree, the 57/08's are quite special. The 59/09's are killer too. Probably my favorite all-around PRS pickup. But I am a hug fan of uncovered 53/10's in my Swampy.

I've found that a lot of pickups that people really dislike are based on tonal preference more than anything. The HFS has worked very well for many players. All depends on the guitar, amp, player combination. I have a pretty hard time picking a best & worst here because I like a wide variety of tones and music. I've been able to make most PRS pickups work for me - even the most hated #6...I actually used that pickup for quite some time with good results.

I could actually put 5708/5909 and hfs all in the best catagory depending on the situation. BTW - I know you qualified it with the hfs - didn't work for YOU...I'm not tryin to start nuttin' :mrgreen:

WEDGE said:
Dragon bridge...winner!

Dragon II.........didn't do it for me.

Do love the 57/08 and DGT's as well, even though they are tame they sound great.

+1 on the Dragon, also love it in the neck position. 57/08s and the NFs are just sweet sounding and very versatile, there are some think round tones your can coax out of them when the are overdriven that I have never heard out of any Gibson I've every owned. I do like the Dragon IIs (covered) that I have in my semi-hollow. Very thick and full sounding and much more dynamic in the semi-hollow than a CE22 I had then in.

Im a fan of the McCarty and the 57/08 (cant decide between the two) series for warm fat PAF and excellent split HB tones. The 59/09's take the cake for open clear PAF sounds.

Worst...Dragon II's

Blackbear said:
I nominate 57/08 pickups as the best pickups PRS has ever made, in fact they are the best humbucking pickup ever made by anyone (including vintage PAF).

Bold statement Blackbear :D
I had no chance to try all PAF style pickups ever produced but have to admit that I just love 57/08s.
Also have a soft spot for McCarty's & #7s
As a fan of not overly bright tones I'd also like to try 53/10s sometime.
I haven't heard bad (US) made PRS pickups so far.
However the least appealing to my ears were RP's...
...but this can only attest to the fact that I'm a little deaf at my age :lol:

Favourites are the Dragon1's for sure! Great balance of output, warmth and clarity! Pretty unique sounding for a ceramic based high output 'bucker. The Dragon1 neck is also amazing!

Least favourite? Probably the HFS and Dragon2. Not that either are bad, they just don't really blow me away.

The "year" pickups I have played....the 57/08, 59/09....sound amazing!

408's the best
Dragon II's my least fave. Not horrible, just not great.
Also don't like the DGT neck pup by itself. Only when blended with the bridge does it bring tonal bliss! :ugeek:

Best PRS pickups? 408s without a shadow of a doubt. I like to see PRS doing new things, not trying to recreate 55 year old Gibson PAFs. Plus the 408s sound KILLER...

Almost everywhere I read people love the 408's but when I went to try out the limited sig model I didn't care for them, I should have tried different amps before I made up my mind and bought a Artist V instead. (I do love my A5 though).

I really like the older non-engraved 5708s, and I thought the SC58s with the more current 5708s were only lacking in one thing, and it was a horrible deal breaker...the Pattern necks on the guitars they were installed in were one size too small.

With the right amp, my favorites are still the original T & B's. The T cuts like no pickup I have ever had but it is a bit hard to control at times. A little on the bright side in my 86 CU24.

Not a huge fan of McCarty pickups but I could live with them.

strat63 said:
With the right amp, my favorites are still the original T & B's. The T cuts like no pickup I have ever had but it is a bit hard to control at times. A little on the bright side in my 86 CU24.

Not a huge fan of McCarty pickups but I could live with them.

It bears repeating... T-pups in a (pre)standard are the business!

different pickups do different jobs.. I don't think there is any one pickup to rule them all..

I REALLY like the stamped B in the neck....

T's are great in an all mahogany guitar.... I find the 408T to be very similar.

I always felt the need to swap out McCartys.

Great - Artists / 5708s / 408s / and NARROWFIELDS!

OK - McCartys / DGTs / 5909s

Dislike - Gragon IIs

Favorites:
Dann Huffs and Chainsaws.

Now please try to find some for me!

Least favorite:

RP's and 245's

Back