The Bernie Marsden has arrived!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
And it's even better than I'd hoped. Feels like an old guitar.

Been playing it for the last hour through my pedal board and into my HDRX 20 and a 12" Celestion G12H30 speaker.

I have SE Singlecuts but none have a body as thick as the Bernie. The Bernie is thick like a Les Paul.

And it's gorgeous. Looks like a core guitar.

Unusual Iced Tea Sunburst. I really like it.

I have one Singlecut with Bernie pickups so I thought I knew what I was getting.

But the same pickups sound different in the thicker bodied Bernie. Deeper, fuller...even a little hotter.

I'm going to have to amend my thinking about the Bernie Marsden pickups because in this guitar they sound good.

I have an extra set of Duncan Antiquitys I was going to use in this guitar. But I'm leaving it stock for now.

Last edited:
Congrats Lew that's a beautiful Bernie, that finish look like the ones on mine, is it a L serial number? The examples I've seen of the first European run all seem to have a similar faded iced tea sunburst (maybe they were trying to copy the Beasts colour) May you enjoy it in good health for many years to come.

Congrats Lew that's a beautiful Bernie, that finish look like the ones on mine, is it a L serial number? The examples I've seen of the first European run all seem to have a similar faded iced tea sunburst (maybe they were trying to copy the Beasts colour) May you enjoy it in good health for many years to come.
Thank you! Starts with a P so that means 2015 I think. I feel like I scored a guitar that's going to be important to me.

Reminds me of the '59 LP's I owned back in the day.

Don't know what I'll do about the pickups. But they're not bad at all.

I love the color. Never had a guitar this color before.

Looks like an old violin or something.

I have something roughly similar in color, a McCarty Singlecut in Faded McCarty Burst. Yours has more 'tea' but the basic concept is that old Burst look.

9jbLbz1.jpg

Also an earlier SC 58 in a kind of similar shade. Neither is a perfect match, but then the old Bursts have their own shadings.

zjUjpsQ.jpg

I have something roughly similar in color, a McCarty Singlecut in Faded McCarty Burst. Yours has more 'tea' but the basic concept is that old Burst look.

9jbLbz1.jpg

Also an earlier SC 58 in a kind of similar shade. Neither is a perfect match, but then the old Bursts have their own shadings.

zjUjpsQ.jpg
Very nice! Your reminds me more of Honey than Iced Tea.

I think this Bernie Marsden might be the prettiest PRS I have.

Last edited:
Love the scale length on the Bernie Marsden too.

I have a Gibson ES-335 I love with that scale and all of the Gibsons I played growing up were 24 3/4".

Been playing the 25" PRS scale and 25 1/2" Fender scale for many years now and it's nice to return to the feel I grew up with.

That 1/4" of extra scale length is part of what makes a PRS sound and feel like a PRS tho.

Last edited:
Love the 24 3/4" scale length on the Bernie Marsden too.

I have a Gibson ES-335 I love with that scale and all of the Gibsons I played growing up were 24 3/4".

Been playing the 25" PRS scale and 25 1/2" Fender scale for many years now and it's nice to return to the feel I grew up with.

That 1/4" of extra scale length is part of what makes a PRS sound and feel like a PRS tho.
Bernies are actually 24.5" scale length. Glad you enjoying the Bernie, I honestly think that these were the best SE guitars that PRS put out at the time. Its just a shame that paul didn't come to a deal with Bernie over a core production model other than the 6 that were made for the UK.

Back