The Art of the Vinyl

"Rust Never Sleeps" Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

young,_neil-rust_never_sleeps-500x500.jpg

Lloyd Always Goldtops (He Wishes)

Off Topic....but I still remember the 1968 season when I first got into Hockey (long ago lost interest...that's the fate of having been a Ranger fan) and goalie Ed Giocamon was still not wearing a mask. I believe he started wearing it full time sometime late into the '68/'69 season, but I can't believe goalies routinely did not wear masks until that period of time.
I remember the goalie from the Bruins, was it? Or the Blackhawks? His mask was designed to have a cut or scar or stitch mark every place he would have been hit in the face if not for the mask. After a few seasons, there wasn't an unmarked square inch on that mask.

Staying off-topic - Gerry Cheevers of the Bruins. He got hit in the mask with a puck and tried to use it as an excuse to get out of practice early, but the coach wouldn't let him, so he put stitch marks on the mask to show where he would have been cut and it escalated from there.

gerry-cheevers.jpg

The masks of the 70s were awesome - look up Gilles Gratton or Gary Simmons, among others. Ken Dryden's was an understated classic. Today's cages are much more protective, but they don't have the soul of those old designs.

BTW, Giacomin was one of the last holdouts. Gump Worsley, by then with the Minnesota North Stars, was the next-to-last goalie to play maskless. The last goalie to play without the mask was Andy Brown of the Penguins in 1974, I believe. I used to love watching those games - it was such a different thing to see, even then. A few years later, it was helmetless players (remember Henry Boucha of the Red Wings wearing a headband?). Soon it'll players without visors.

Howlin' Wolf - "The London Sessions". The Wolf with a flock of British musicians.

muddy%20wolf%20001.JPG

Goldtop

Crash Test Dummies :: God Shuffled His Feet

album-Crash-Test-Dummies-God-Shuffled-His-Feet.jpg

The original art was this painting....

Titian :: Bacchus and Ariadne.

titian-bacchus-and-ariadne-77444.jpg

Back