The 5-way Rotary Switch ?

In over eight years, has anyone found a source for a knob numbered to 5 or an indicator ring that fits in the recess?

Not that I know of. I don't think folks really look at the numbers anyway. Just count the clicks.

My ‘91 Standard, that I got from Hans, has a chicken head knob on it. Love it!

My L6-S is numbered 1 through 6 and the chicken head points to each choice only. You glance, you know. Bill Lawrence realized some players actually use the numbers as a reference. Seriously at $4k+ is it too much to ask to black out the 6 thru 10? Perhaps I'm just used to my L6-S, (1974 Gibson L6-S, 24 fret, w/ fully functioning 6 way rotory PU selector switch) "sorta" the precursor to the CU24.

Last edited:
Okay, I give. I took an extra speed knob, dremelled the 5-10 out (I made 0 the start to keep the novelty alive, and redid the spaces with black. I then put a thin non-reactive indicator line in the recess. Very discreet. I didn't mean to offend, its just I'm used to looking ahead to where I'm going and often forgetting where I've been.

Okay, I give. I took an extra speed knob, dremelled the 5-10 out (I made 0 the start to keep the novelty alive, and redid the spaces with black. I then put a thin non-reactive indicator line in the recess. Very discreet. I didn't mean to offend, its just I'm used to looking ahead to where I'm going and often forgetting where I've been.
Pics? I don't fully understand what you did, and am curious.

Hope you didn’t get hit hard
Just debris and branches on power lines, no power for a day.
Okay, I have pix but only one post, so until I post again, check out my Avatar.
The knob is 24 years old.

Last edited:
Tells you when your about to cross it.
Seriously though, I put a push/push switch pot to split the P/U's and it indents to the in between lines. It also engages the hyper-coils hidden in the ...
;)

I'm a newbie here, so please cut me some slack in case I've missed something...

I absolutely understand how it works... and I also absolutely understand why I bought my first PRS... but what I still struggle with, is why - with all of Paul's attention to detail in terms of setup and playability - he missed or overlooked getting a special rotary-knob labelled from 1 to 5 rather than 1 to 10 ? That seems like a really bizarre oversight to me.

"May be I'm being 'too precious', but the first PRS guitar that I bought was an American, 25th-Anniversary in 'Angry-Larry'. It was truly beautiful, but I couldn't understand why such a company based upon attention to detail couldn't fit 'my expensive guitar' with a dial that made sense.

We're not talking about massive investment here... just fitting controls that people can understand. I sold that guitar and then opted for push-pull, McCarty-switching on another... but I still question PRS's reasoning. It feels like he was 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.

I recently acquired my first PRS (blue 20th anniversary) and the the rotary had been changed to a 3 position toggle with coil splits on a pull up tone control.
Not a bad setup the switch is a little clattery. I may change to a switchcraft blade type.

So does the blade do the same thing as the rotary?

The rotary gives:
1. neck humbucker
2: screw poles of neck and bridge in parallel
3. screw poles of neck and bridge in series - creates a "middle" humbucker even though there isn't one.
4. slug poles of neck and bridge in parallel
5. bridge humbucker

Does the blade do exactly the same thing?

Last edited:
So does the blade do the same thing as the rotary?

The rotary gives:
1. neck humbucker
2: screw poles of neck and bridge in parallel
3. screw poles of neck and bridge in series - creates a "middle" humbucker even though there isn't one.
4. slug poles of neck and bridge in parallel
5. bridge humbucker

Does the blade do exactly the same thing?
I don’t believe so.

According to PRS, this is what the 5 position blade did in the CE-24:

Using our 5-way blade switch, you can utilize these different pickup positions:

Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

So positions One and Five are the same. The other three are different from the 5-way Rotary switch.

According to PRS, this is what the 5 position blade did in the CE-24:

Using our 5-way blade switch, you can utilize these different pickup positions:

Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

So positions One and Five are the same. The other three are different from the 5 position rotator.
i only ever use the one because all of the other settings are not directly under the 2 octave open harmonic which is the wrong place and sounds bad especially on 24 fret guitars but that's just me.

i only ever use the one because all of the other settings are not directly under the 2 octave open harmonic which is the wrong place and sounds bad especially on 24 fret guitars but that's just me.
The screw polepieces of the neck pickup of my CE22 are exactly under where a 24th fret would be if this was CE-24.

Back