The 5-way Rotary Switch ?

Adipsia

I'm a newbie here, so please cut me some slack in case I've missed something...

I absolutely understand how it works... and I also absolutely understand why I bought my first PRS... but what I still struggle with, is why - with all of Paul's attention to detail in terms of setup and playability - he missed or overlooked getting a special rotary-knob labelled from 1 to 5 rather than 1 to 10 ? That seems like a really bizarre oversight to me.

May be I'm being 'too precious', but the first PRS guitar that I bought was an American, 25th-Anniversary in 'Angry-Larry'. It was truly beautiful, but I couldn't understand why such a company based upon attention to detail couldn't fit 'my expensive guitar' with a dial that made sense.

We're not talking about massive investment here... just fitting controls that people can understand. I sold that guitar and then opted for push-pull, McCarty-switching on another... but I still question PRS's reasoning. It feels like he was 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.

Well, if you consider that in the 1985 start-up, getting the company on it's feet - it probably just wasn't of enough importance. It doesn't affect functionality of the guitar. I personally think it looks better with the knobs all uniform. Using the 5-10 positions, so when everything's wide open, everything's on 10. So maybe that was Paul's thinking too?

I had a 86 CU24 that 6-10 on the 5 way selector. Maybe he did think about it or maybe the rotary was a blem. Who knows?

It does go 6 - 10, not 5 - 10 but you can lift the knob and turn it around to 1 - 5 if you feel the need. I don't think he missed it, I think it just didn't matter. I know I have no issue with using a 1 - 10 knob. It's just a setting and doesn't matter which position on the label it is called.

5, 6 - whatever. I was tired and lacking math skills. Still stand by my everything on 10 statement.

5, 6 - whatever. I was tired and lacking math skills. Still stand by my everything on 10 statement.

Spinal-Tap-11-1321038225.jpg

May be I'm being 'too precious', but the first PRS guitar that I bought was an American, 25th-Anniversary in 'Angry-Larry'. It was truly beautiful, but I couldn't understand why such a company based upon attention to detail couldn't fit 'my expensive guitar' with a dial that made sense. .

I think that for the answer to this question, one must delve into a combination of Smithian Metaphysics and the Kabbala.

Let it be said, however, that in one swift stroke Mr. Paul Reed Smith put the question to rest by changing the 5-Way Rotary to a Blade Switch on recent models. Problem solved! The point is now moot!

I'm a newbie here, so please cut me some slack in case I've missed something...

I absolutely understand how it works... and I also absolutely understand why I bought my first PRS... but what I still struggle with, is why - with all of Paul's attention to detail in terms of setup and playability - he missed or overlooked getting a special rotary-knob labelled from 1 to 5 rather than 1 to 10 ? That seems like a really bizarre oversight to me.

May be I'm being 'too precious', but the first PRS guitar that I bought was an American, 25th-Anniversary in 'Angry-Larry'. It was truly beautiful, but I couldn't understand why such a company based upon attention to detail couldn't fit 'my expensive guitar' with a dial that made sense.

We're not talking about massive investment here... just fitting controls that people can understand. I sold that guitar and then opted for push-pull, McCarty-switching on another... but I still question PRS's reasoning. It feels like he was 'spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.

You bring up a good point. I mean, the knob could have looked the same and just been labeled 6-10. Then maybe so many people wouldn't have complained about not being able to quickly tell what position they were on and they wouldn't have gotten rid of such a great innovation in favor of the ugly blade switch that disables one to switch to a 3-way toggle or back to 5-way rotary if one wanted.

You bring up a good point. I mean, the knob could have looked the same and just been labeled 6-10. Then maybe so many people wouldn't have complained about not being able to quickly tell what position they were on and they wouldn't have gotten rid of such a great innovation in favor of the ugly blade switch that disables one to switch to a 3-way toggle or back to 5-way rotary if one wanted.

The problem isn't the amount of numbers on the knob. It's that the placement of the knob makes it hard to see the numbers at all, and you can't tell where you are by feel, as you can with the blade, unless you start by turning the knob all the way to one end of the rotation or the other.

The problem isn't the amount of numbers on the knob. It's that the placement of the knob makes it hard to see the numbers at all, and you can't tell where you are by feel, as you can with the blade, unless you start by turning the knob all the way to one end of the rotation or the other.

The problem with the blade isn't that you can't see what position you're on. It's the placement of the blade that makes it difficult to switch positions if you own a trem-equipped guitar.

The problem with the blade isn't that you can't see what position you're on. It's the placement of the blade that makes it difficult to switch positions if you own a trem-equipped guitar.

You have probably forgotten that the two most recent Core PRS models I had were trem-equipped guitars with Blade switches, the Artist V and the 408. It was not at all difficult to switch positions, nor did the trem arm get in the way.

It's not like I make this stuff up.

Last edited:
You have probably forgotten that the two most recent Core PRS models I had were trem-equipped guitars with Blade switches, the Artist V and the 408. It was not at all difficult to switch positions, nor did the trem arm get in the way.

It's not like I make this stuff up.

You have probably never paid attention to the fact that I still own and gig a blade switched trem-equppied guitar, and when I play standing up in live performances, it is difficult for me to switch positions and the trem arm gets in the way.

If you dig your gear shift under your gas pedal then right on... but don't be sayin some made up stuff like your personal preferences, that differ from the traditional layout of every previous PRS guitar ever is "problem solved" and not expect a little resistance.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the sounds on the 5 way, but blade is sure better than rotary for fast pup changes like I do.

I still am attached to the 3 way toggle/push pull sound so for me the PRS's I'm wanting are the DGT and Paul's Guitar.

My 2 cents...
In the early days, it might have been simply that they couldn't get hatbox knobs marked any other way. I actually prefer a blade switch or a toggle over the rotary, as I never look at the numbers on the knobs--I set them by feel (and sound of course). The one sound that they've never put on the rotary is the bridge pickup soloed as a single-coil, and I use that a lot (I'm pretty much a Tele player). I do a lot better with the Brent Mason setup, although the vibrato arm does sometimes get in the way of the coil-split switches and the 5-way. At least I can pretty much feel where everything is. I suppose that's why it took me until 2013 to buy a PRS, even though I've been checking them out since 1986 or so!

If you dig your gear shift under your gas pedal then right on... but don't be sayin some made up stuff like your personal preferences, that differ from the traditional layout of every previous PRS guitar ever...

Well, here's the thing: That's not a true statement.

"Every previous PRS guitar ever" includes guitars with rotary selectors, toggles, pull-up knobs, and of course the early 90s EG with a 5 way switch just like the current ones.

Regardless, the issue with the rotary switch numbering is indeed solved if they aren't making the rotary switches any more. It's something that no longer needs to be addressed. It's a moot point.

Last edited:
wow.

Fixed for you? Fine.

Obviously not fixed for the OP, or any other owner of an older PRS that can't afford to just go out and buy a new or current model.

The point won't be either "solved" or "moot" until all of the rotary knob switched PRS are either converted to blade switches or are toothpicks.

And I'm betting that there are plenty of players who love their rotary switches and you'd have to pry those guitars from their cold, dead hands.

The numbering bothers some, others don't care. But to suggest the topic is all pointless, well...

Life doesn't come with just one flavor.

Last edited:
Back