The “Santana/Original” body shape!

C_corie

Does anyone have a list of all “Core” guitars using this shape and/or the evolution of it before the Custom 24 became the go to PRS?

(Updated) From my understanding it was:

Late 70s early 80s one offs

Then SA series

Santana production model(S)

West Street LTD

DC22

KL33

Private stock - Howard Leese

Last edited:
I’m so annoyed I didn’t get a KL33 when GC was blowing them out, they didn’t have birds I don’t think or maybe it was outline birds? Something about that annoyed me at the time, lol.

I wouldn’t count the Mira mostly because of the pick guard and it’s not really a super carved top- in the same way I wouldn’t really count SE/S2 models.

Also who WOULD be interested in a sub $4500 Santana body style Core guitar without binding? Maybe if we had enough people we could ask PRS for a limited run?

Last edited:
Honestly, the Santana guitar PRS has been putting out the last... IDK, 6-7 years? Are ridiculous values!

Santana’s used to to be $7000 or some sh!t, and that’s not including inflation. Retro’s and the model before that are priced like regular production Core guitars now, and they’re excellent guitars!

This one that I have is probably one of, if not the best made guitar I own:

fOwJyIz.jpg

And the Retro is packed with a pile of unique features, at the price of a CU24... purfling, binding, rosewood headstock overlay with an eagle... they’re f@cking bargains if you ask me.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t count the Mira mostly because of the pick guard and it’s not really a super carved top- in the same way I wouldn’t really count SE/S2 models.

Also who WOULD be interested in a sub $4500 Santana body style Core guitar without binding? Maybe if we had enough people we could ask PRS for a limited run?

Yes, please.
A Santana core release based on the limited ones (Santana I crossroads pre-factory) would be more great.
Do not like the neck binding on the core retros, but that is just me..

Yes, please.
A Santana core release based on the limited ones (Santana I crossroads pre-factory) would be more great.
Do not like the neck binding on the core retros, but that is just me..

YUP! The binding is weird and all the ones before either had binding or crappy birds for the last idk 6-8 years now?

I’d even settle for solid mahogany to keep the price down, or ease of making it.

YUP! The binding is weird and all the ones before either had binding or crappy birds for the last idk 6-8 years now?

How are these “crappy” birds?

EX9CdJY.jpg

I’d even settle for solid mahogany to keep the price down, or ease of making it.

You mean like one of these?

bB9pI0R.jpg

Still more expensive than a Retro or a Signature.

Honestly, the Santana guitar PRS has been putting out the last... IDK, 6-7 years? Are ridiculous values!

Santana’s used to to be $7000 or some sh!t, and that’s not including inflation. Retro’s and the model before that are priced like regular production Core guitars now, and they’re excellent guitars!

And the Retro is packed with a pile of unique features, at the price of a CU24... purfling, binding, rosewood headstock overlay with an eagle... they’re f@cking bargains if you ask me.

I have to agree with this. There is a particular Retro that I am stalking at, imo, a silly price compared to what they previously were.

What I’m saying is that since 2006/007 the model has had slight changes that most people do like or don’t like:

hollow birds
Dirt birds
Slightly better 2013/14 birds
binding off and on since 2010?
new deeper carves

And it’s had on and off neck binding, so finding one with decent birds and no binding is not easy.

Add to that the retro model is great with the deeper carves and stuff but the binding isn’t how it’s supposed to be and for the price the birds aren’t amazing.

I’m just saying I have a 2014 CU24 the birds are fine, decent....I don’t love the rosewood headstock and 5 way blade, but it was on clearance so I got it, it was a 10 top.

My point I guess, is that I’d love to see a solid mahogany or maple topped Santana STYLE, core guitar with no binding and “old birds” and maybe slightly more “traditional” color combos, if it’s maple topped.

I just think if they made a “modern” version of the 1980 west st.....no Brazilian, no mahogany cap, old school birds, for $2999 $3499, people would buy them up, even $3799 and they’d be gone fast.

I think people want a slightly simpler model from PRS without spending 7K or more.

Last edited:
What I’m saying is that since 2006/007 the model has had slight changes that most people do like or don’t like:

hollow birds
Dirt birds
Slightly better 2013/14 birds
binding off and on since 2010?
new deeper carves

And it’s had on and off neck binding, so finding one with decent birds and no binding is not easy.

Add to that the retro model is great with the deeper carves and stuff but the binding isn’t how it’s supposed to be and for the price the birds aren’t amazing.

I’m just saying I have a 2014 CU24 the birds are fine, decent....I don’t love the rosewood headstock and 5 way blade, but it was on clearance so I got it, it was a 10 top.

My point I guess, is that I’d love to see a solid mahogany or maple topped Santana STYLE, core guitar with no binding and “old birds” and maybe slightly more “traditional” color combos, if it’s maple topped.

I just think if they made a “modern” version of the 1980 west st.....no Brazilian, no mahogany cap, old school birds, for $2999 $3499, people would buy them up, even $3799 and they’d be gone fast.

I think people want a slightly simpler model from PRS without spending 7K or more.

Well, I agree that PRS should do something with the West Street platform. I think it’d be cool, and it’d certainly be nice to want a new PRS guitar but... they seem to be focusing on “strats” and “Les Paul’s” at the moment. :rolleyes:

But whatever, I’ll simply never understand what people spend their money on. :p

Edit: Put the CU24 up for sale/trade, there are suckers out there. ;)

Well, I agree that PRS should do something with the West Street platform. I think it’d be cool, and it’d certainly be nice to want a new PRS guitar but... they seem to be focusing on “strats” and “Les Paul’s” at the moment. :rolleyes:

But whatever, I’ll simply never understand what people spend their money on. :p

Edit: Put the CU24 up for sale/trade, there are suckers out there. ;)

I like my CU24 because the Tort color and burgundy-ish back ALMOST go with the rosewood. Unless they come back with black headstock and 3 way toggle/5 way rotary it’ll just have to do for now

I ordered one of those Santana SE all mahogany from 2016 or so...I figure it’ll help me decide if I really need the “real” version.

Back