That one guitar, for me, Mira 245, 25th Anniversary

This was once mine...a limited edition from Garrett Park...

Just don't understand why I ever sold this one...and this was core Mira...

Oh9SSbT.jpg

9YEeCCl.jpg

I'm sure aware of the many excellent humbucker shaped P-90s out there. I really dig the Fralin P-92s and it's sad I don't have a guitar with those at the moment.

Also, this forum has many historical aspects - you can post about older models, make NGD posts about newly acquired older models, etc - but there's no "wanted" or "for sale" sections because it's an official manufacturer forum and they only make money when new guitars get sold.

Makes perfect sense when you point out the corporate need to sell new instruments.

I've had an '08 maple top and an '09 korina, still haven't had an original hog version or any of the followup shorter scale ones. Not sure why I sold them, but the korina may still be accessible someday as I sold it to a buddy who unfortunately really likes it!

I needed to circle back here to bookend the request. My good friend David Barber found a 245 recently listed at a GC outside of Nashville. It was late in the evening, but I wasted no time hitting the GC equivalent of "buy it now" and then called them in the morning to confirm what I'd bought. Most of these are wonderfully light though I have come across a couple in the 8lb range. Great for a Les Paul standard but not for what I think of as the "ultimate modern junior". This one weighs 6lbs, 5oz, where my original black weighs 6lbs 6oz. Its a three tone burst there is really more of a black to brown, my favorite. Next to my original see through black finish 245, it's almost like they're sisters.

So I found it, the second of my favorite style PRS guitars made (so far.). I was thinking I'd put a pair of Throbak humbuckers in the burst, but then I started working on the Firebird Short History video and now, I'm thinking that I'll go all "Black Beauty" on the black one with hybrid hardware (with John Mann's help of course) on the original and maybe put some Firebird pickups in here for a while. Any suggestions on the best boutique Firebird pickups is welcome. I'll ask Jon at Throbak as well when I order the buckers.

The guitars will end up in an upcoming video of course. So you can all come along for a ride.

Thanks to everyone that posted here. Always a helpful bunch here on the PRS Forum.

I needed to circle back here to bookend the request. My good friend David Barber found a 245 recently listed at a GC outside of Nashville. It was late in the evening, but I wasted no time hitting the GC equivalent of "buy it now" and then called them in the morning to confirm what I'd bought. Most of these are wonderfully light though I have come across a couple in the 8lb range. Great for a Les Paul standard but not for what I think of as the "ultimate modern junior". This one weighs 6lbs, 5oz, where my original black weighs 6lbs 6oz. Its a three tone burst there is really more of a black to brown, my favorite. Next to my original see through black finish 245, it's almost like they're sisters.

So I found it, the second of my favorite style PRS guitars made (so far.). I was thinking I'd put a pair of Throbak humbuckers in the burst, but then I started working on the Firebird Short History video and now, I'm thinking that I'll go all "Black Beauty" on the black one with hybrid hardware (with John Mann's help of course) on the original and maybe put some Firebird pickups in here for a while. Any suggestions on the best boutique Firebird pickups is welcome. I'll ask Jon at Throbak as well when I order the buckers.

The guitars will end up in an upcoming video of course. So you can all come along for a ride.

Thanks to everyone that posted here. Always a helpful bunch here on the PRS Forum.
Awesome!

I've never been disappointed by Lollars. https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-humbucker-pickups/firebird

Here's mine 25th Anniversary, I need to get it set up better and play it more. I've played it at a few gigs and love how light it is. Using the volume control you can really change the sound.
I'd love to know the history of these too.

hBkTrxs.jpg

Keeping two Mira Xs and the Antique White 25th Anniversary in the family. The only thing that I thought was up for a change were the original HBs in the Orange Zest as they were compressing very quick. The Teal one is a special run for the Dallas Show, feat. 57/08s. Three amazing girls

Last edited:
Minor history update for Keith. The Mira was a Joe Knaggs design that everybody in the factory loved when they saw the prototype. Like so many others, it’s the one I regret selling the most. It screamed with overdrive. A luthier friend of mine thinks the all hog ones are the ultimate rock machine. I’m not sure how or why the X hit the market. Perhaps someone else can fill us in on that. If you go on the knaggs Guitar website, you’ll see quite a number of guitars with the beveled top. When Joe left to start his own company, Paul let him keep his designs. I’ve always wondered if there was a gentleman’s agreement about that.

Minor history update for Keith. The Mira was a Joe Knaggs design that everybody in the factory loved when they saw the prototype. Like so many others, it’s the one I regret selling the most. It screamed with overdrive. A luthier friend of mine thinks the all hog ones are the ultimate rock machine. I’m not sure how or why the X hit the market. Perhaps someone else can fill us in on that. If you go on the knaggs Guitar website, you’ll see quite a number of guitars with the beveled top. When Joe left to start his own company, Paul let him keep his designs. I’ve always wondered if there was a gentleman’s agreement about that.
The Mira X (and its sibling Starla X) was the next attempt to get a midprice PRS offering. Woods used were Obeche (body), Sipo (neck) Pau Ferro (board), so non of the usual wooden cost base. Still, Paul's expertise selected a tonal, favorable, yet less obvious combination. It was said that the one downside of Obeche was that is was terribly smelling when the bodies were cut. Less contouring, simpler HB only electronics (well, the Dallas 2010 run was the exception ), one neck profile only, but no compromise on resonance, intonation, and playability. Testing the market out, PRS then led itself to find the S2 series as its mid-price segment solution.

Overall, the Mira, and then the Mira X are IMHO milestones that changed PRS on its way into the 2010!

I ended up trading my 25th Aniv Mira (learned I'm not really a P90 fan) for a Orion Silver Sky but at some point I'm going to get another Mira.

For the most part, some days I love it, other days I want to maybe sell it. I can be wishy-washy.

Sounds like me with any type of Strat...it is an on/off affair, too. The Mira's are every day go tos.

Back