That Les Paul tone.....

I feel that I like the sound I get with my 4 PRS guitars .I do have a 2014 LP double cut. Its the only LP i have really enjoyed.
I feel good playing all my guitars . maybe my old ears think they all sound good and also different . Just as we are all individuals so are our guitars in our hands.
Lets be ourselves and play our own style.

I've asked this before... has anyone attempted to EQ in that LP low/low mids thing? I know its a wood/mass thing, but I would think that with a good para EQ or a graphic with lots of bands, a little bit of boost in the right place and you could get even closer.
Hmm that might be a challenge. James Earl Jones and Benedict Cumberbatch both have loads of low end, but only one will sound like Darth Vader.

One other point is that all Les Pauls dont sound alike either! I had a 2013 that was 8.2 lbs, and a 2014 that was 8.4. Very close in weight, very similar to look at, but sounded very different! They both sounded fantastic, but one had way more of those lower mids (2014) than the other. I am sure some PRSs sound more like certain Les Pauls than other LPs do. And why do guys compare LT PRS pups to Gibson LPs?? The 57/08s seem much more similar in output, no??

I've owned 6 Gibson Les Pauls - Standards or better - over the past 20 years... My PRS SC245 is the best playing and sounding "Les Paul" I've ever owned, bar none... I've never really been about dissecting every tiny part to see if it's a molecule perfect clone of some other part; great guitars are beautiful machines but it's synchronicity that makes one magic in the end... I've had custom guitars made just for me from all the finest hardware money could buy and just hated the results... I don't care what anyone says; there's nothing inherently "magic" about any guitar because it says Gibson on the headstock; the right match of Maple and Mahogany and a set neck with 24.5" scale (or thereabouts), a stoptail bridge of some kind and the right shape/mass to get that gut-punch thing going and if it gells just right then you have Pagey and Slash and Frampton on tap... and that's all there is to it in my mind...

okay here's (the Les Paul) the Blondie that is so fun look at that backside, no heel. I feel like Gibsons finally doing something right.
I do not foresee selling this guitar. it sounds as good as my 12 lb classic, but 8.0 lbs just as amazing playability. the classic backbreaker is gone.

nk8pJvF.jpg
[/IMG]
nk8pJvF.jpg

i5LES3m.jpg

One other point is that all Les Pauls dont sound alike either! I had a 2013 that was 8.2 lbs, and a 2014 that was 8.4. Very close in weight, very similar to look at, but sounded very different! They both sounded fantastic, but one had way more of those lower mids (2014) than the other. I am sure some PRSs sound more like certain Les Pauls than other LPs do. And why do guys compare LT PRS pups to Gibson LPs?? The 57/08s seem much more similar in output, no??

I've thought this same thing. I tend to run a little more low end in my amp but if I back that down a bit then I start to hear more LP characteristics shine through on a 5708 bridge pickup.

I've asked this before... has anyone attempted to EQ in that LP low/low mids thing? I know its a wood/mass thing, but I would think that with a good para EQ or a graphic with lots of bands, a little bit of boost in the right place and you could get even closer.

Nope. An eq will only add low end growl, not grunt. I’m sure there’s a huge difference. :rolleyes::p

I've thought this same thing. I tend to run a little more low end in my amp but if I back that down a bit then I start to hear more LP characteristics shine through on a 5708 bridge pickup.

Actually, when I tried this with "other guitars" that weren't even close to LP tone, I think the bass control of an amp is way too broad to do what I'm speaking of You need a para EQ that you can control both the frequency and the Q of the boost, or a multi-band graphic with finer ranges. I'm talking something like the Alesis M-EQ 230 I was using when I tried this a while back. Something you can be very precise with your range and level of boost. Again, I'm not even saying you need to do this, I'm just talking about getting a little closer. As many have said, not even all LPs sound the same. I'm just talking a little push closer to your ideal LP-ish tone.

I own 4 Les Pauls, including an R9 and a Custom, and 2 Singlecuts

The Singlecuts have far better resonance and clarity than the LP's. They also cut through a band mix better, and that's what I care about.

I'm fine with letting the bass handle the low end.

Back