That Age Thing...

Let me be the first. While regret is too strong a word, there have been many a day I missed the rough and tumble of the workplace. My wife and I retired at 50. No doubt there has been a big upside to the freedom of retirement. On the other hand I do feel like I’m aging faster than I would if I woke up every morning with a defined purpose. It’s been well over a decade since we pulled the plug. So now I’m comfortably settled into the retired lifestyle. I do wish that I had taken up a different career (job) after departing my main life’s gig. At the very beginning of my career I coined the phrase, “Doing nothing doesn’t mean anything unless you have something to do”. I found that to be true when my career came to an end. As the song says, “I have nothing to do and all day to do it”. On the other hand, we usually take 4 extensive vacations a year from doing nothing.
Retiring at 50 gives you the opportunity to do a whole lot of things that could be more dangerous if you were 65.

Yes, but we ARE going straight to Hell. So there's that.

On the other hand, I hear they hand out accordions when one arrives. I can play the accordion. I'm hoping to be 'house accordionist' to the devil.
Well Devil my name is Schefman and it might be a sin but I'll take that bet you're gonna regret cause I'm the best there ever been....

In 3 weeks I retire from everything work related. Em, let me rephrase that: everything work related that involves a paycheck. But I'll get to work on my guitars and vocals, my landscaping renos, my maintenance chores, my martial arts katas, my physical conditioning level, my road racing skills, my culinary arts, my golf game, my fishing and hunting strategies, and most of all, my thrifty shopping skills. More minimalized fixed income isn't really what I'm used to... but there will be no shortage of work to do.:D

In 3 weeks I retire from everything work related. Em, let me rephrase that: everything work related that involves a paycheck. But I'll get to work on my guitars and vocals, my landscaping renos, my maintenance chores, my martial arts katas, my physical conditioning level, my road racing skills, my culinary arts, my golf game, my fishing and hunting strategies, and most of all, my thrifty shopping skills. More minimalized fixed income isn't really what I'm used to... but there will be no shortage of work to do.:D
Congrats on the upcoming retirement!

Back