That Age Thing...

Here's the beauty of composing: There's nothing to figure out! You just organize some noise any way you like, and boom - you're a composer.

The rest is details. ;)
I really wish it was that simple... :)

When I get done with this Nashville Tele project I am working on I am going to try to get back to the piece I was working on. I have put together some instrumental stuff that was basically just jamming. This is the first piece I have lyrics for. I found that to make things exponentially more difficult. I have another piece in mind that is going to be much more difficult than the one I have been working on so I hope I figure out why this is so hard for me and make it easier.

Depends where you went to law school and how high you finished in your class, right? ;)
The only thing between me being first in the class and my final ranking was everyone else in the class. However, I did attend a top notch school: Perry Mason University School of Law. Class was every Thursday night between 8-9pm EST. I confess my studies may have been sidetracked with unhealthy fantasies involving Della Street.

When I get done with this Nashville Tele project I am working on I am going to try to get back to the piece I was working on. I have put together some instrumental stuff that was basically just jamming. This is the first piece I have lyrics for. I found that to make things exponentially more difficult. I have another piece in mind that is going to be much more difficult than the one I have been working on so I hope I figure out why this is so hard for me and make it easier.
I would add to this conversation, that to be a composer does NOT mean you have to write anything complex! Look at this history of great songs that are 2, 3 or 4 chords!! Yes, some have more complex vocal melodies that go along with them, but many do not!!! I personally believe that the reason classical, jazz, Zappa and other more complex forms of music are not more popular is, most people don't want to have to "think" about music when they are listening to it. They don't want complexity. They want good beat, easy to dance to with a fun catchphrase. That said, if you are trying to create what is in your head rather than what you think people want people to hear, none of that really matters and I am with you on that!!! Whatever the case is, don't look at the word "composer" as if it is some lofty status that can only be attained by doing something complex. You have original music in you and you are putting it together, therefore, you are a composer, period! Best of luck with your work and I hope you share it with us when completed!!!!

The only thing between me being first in the class and my final ranking was everyone else in the class. However, I did attend a top notch school: Perry Mason University School of Law. Class was every Thursday night between 8-9pm EST. I confess my studies may have been sidetracked with unhealthy fantasies involving Della Street.
I probably didn't do as well in undergrad, so I had to attend Matlock School of Law & Creative Chicanery. :(

There really wasn't much upside, except that it was kind of exciting chasing ambulances.

Think of it as mental exercise. The more you do, the easier it gets.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't be equally self-critical of your work, but it'll at least take less time to do it. ;)

I probably didn't do as well in undergrad, so I had to attend Matlock School of Law & Creative Chicanery. :(

There really wasn't much upside, except that it was kind of exciting chasing ambulances.

You guys were way better off than I was at the Clouseaunian Institute of Inspection.

The last two years has changed my outlook on things quite a bit, but this summer something happened that made me totally re-affirm my conviction on leaving the workforce. I'm one month away from being 65 and this time last year I almost decided to stick around a couple more years. Then about that time my young niece (39 years old mother of 4 girls) was diagnosed with leukemia. She passed last month.
I'm far from an unhealthy person and I still do things that many 65 year olds think is completely out there: race motorcycles, teach karate, lift weights, etc. Screw it man, life is far too short. I'm taking down the shingle and enjoying life for all it has left to offer.
But for you Les, follow your heart. If it's in it, go for it! I don't know composing from a haystack, I doubt I could compose anything beyond that what's fit for my septic tank. Shoot, I have trouble putting together a simple lick of my own that isn't a simple spin on what's been done a thousand times before. So keep your foot on the gas man, don't worry about what the young peeps judging your age category might say. WTF do they know really?

I really liked that agency I spoke with. On the other hand, they charge above-market rates, so it's a definite 'maybe later' but for now, no.

However, I found a site used by music supervisors and ad agencies that I'll use until I sign with an agent. This is a plus, and I can ALSO have an agent, if so desired. I made this connection via composer friends in Nashville, LA and here. Not that anyone here cares, I just like typing!

Tagging and metadata are going to take a heck of a long time to figure out, but I'm on it.

The last two years has changed my outlook on things quite a bit, but this summer something happened that made me totally re-affirm my conviction on leaving the workforce. I'm one month away from being 65 and this time last year I almost decided to stick around a couple more years. Then about that time my young niece (39 years old mother of 4 girls) was diagnosed with leukemia. She passed last month.
I'm far from an unhealthy person and I still do things that many 65 year olds think is completely out there: race motorcycles, teach karate, lift weights, etc. Screw it man, life is far too short. I'm taking down the shingle and enjoying life for all it has left to offer.
But for you Les, follow your heart. If it's in it, go for it! I don't know composing from a haystack, I doubt I could compose anything beyond that what's fit for my septic tank. Shoot, I have trouble putting together a simple lick of my own that isn't a simple spin on what's been done a thousand times before. So keep your foot on the gas man, don't worry about what the young peeps judging your age category might say. WTF do they know really?
So sorry to hear about your niece. I have a niece around that age, and I'd be devastated to lose her.

My septic tank is pretty full of works I've erased from the hard drive. I'll admit I'm hard on myself, but...I figure everyone else will be hard on me, too. One agent I spoke to told me I'm an 'easy sell' based on my resume.

Well, that's a definite maybe. There's always a certain amount of smoke being blown up one's behind.

I don't think there's such thing as an easy sell unless you have a better resume than I do, and I'll admit mine's pretty good, at least in Ad World.

On the other hand, I don't want to be crossed off the National Register of Halfway Decent Film Composers. ;)

Think of it as mental exercise. The more you do, the easier it gets.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't be equally self-critical of your work, but it'll at least take less time to do it. ;)
This is actually exactly how I am looking at it. I think my main issue is timing on when everything comes together in this piece. My plan is when I get a chance to touch it again is to try starting things at different times to figure out where it feels comfortable to come in. I have the feeling that I have unknowingly came up with something that needs to start some things on odd beats. I think once I get that worked out it will come together.

This piece is really the first one that I have ever pop into my head before ever coming up with the words or the music. I didn't even know what key I was going to put it in. I had to take a minute with my guitar and figure out what key the lyrics in my head were in. Another thing that came to mind when I was working on it the last time is that I am probably going to need to come up with one or two more lyric lines to get it all feeling right. This isn't a very complex piece. You would probably put this together in no time. I just don't have the experience with doing this. Thankfully I have a decent understanding of theory. That is helping. I know there are thousands of three chord songs. I don't see this one having more than 3 in it.

This is actually exactly how I am looking at it. I think my main issue is timing on when everything comes together in this piece. My plan is when I get a chance to touch it again is to try starting things at different times to figure out where it feels comfortable to come in. I have the feeling that I have unknowingly came up with something that needs to start some things on odd beats. I think once I get that worked out it will come together.

This piece is really the first one that I have ever pop into my head before ever coming up with the words or the music. I didn't even know what key I was going to put it in. I had to take a minute with my guitar and figure out what key the lyrics in my head were in. Another thing that came to mind when I was working on it the last time is that I am probably going to need to come up with one or two more lyric lines to get it all feeling right. This isn't a very complex piece. You would probably put this together in no time. I just don't have the experience with doing this. Thankfully I have a decent understanding of theory. That is helping. I know there are thousands of three chord songs. I don't see this one having more than 3 in it.
Seems to me you probably know more theory than I do, and I write orchestral stuff.

I just kinda wing it.

I know a bit of orchestral theory, but it's sometimes an impediment to creativity. When I ditch it, there are times that things turn out better, and times they turn our worse.

The good news is that I can't tell the dang difference!! ;)

Visit my site. Go to the Orchestral page, or even the other pages. Feel free to tell me that I should be arrested for impersonating a composer!

"Impersonating a composer isn't the only thing you should be arrested for."

"Snitch!"

you’re in nashville tele? great name

I’m showing up Kemper in hand. Five minutes of playing my best they’ll show me the door and put me on a stairway to Heaven. That would be the devil’s best revenge for that banishment tiff a few years back.
Showing up with a Kemper, you might get an even worse assignment in The Very Bad Place.

I'd play it safe and bring along a tube amp that has an accordion input. An old Ampeg Reverberocket has one.

Back