Thanksgiving S2

Shoman

Last night I ordered a PRS S2 Custom. I currently have a very cheap SE Standard,,, Before that I had an SE Custom that I sold for a profit....

I like the 25 scale and have been happy with the cheap guitar necks that I've had but I heard a YouTube video of the S2 and really enjoyed the sound of it. Wish there was somewhere close to demo them but there is not. So anyway I read some more on the web, listened some more and made a purchsae from an online shop.

So anyway I know there has not been a lot of love about these guitars but I sure hope it sounds as good as the vids I found. I looked real hard at the S2 Mira but figured it would be more like an SG and I was looking for a little more mellow for this guitar. If I like this then I'll look at the Mira.

So all opinions welcome. Even negative ones. Also your thoughts on the Mira and how it compars to an SG sound.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mira can get nice and mellow on the neck pickup. It's really nothing like a SG.

Congratulations!! That's going to serve you well. I definitely dig the S2 line, and the customs are great guitars! The Mira has a very sweet tone, but I think it has its own personality. It's a preference thing. It's not over the top aggressive, but it can roar as needed. IMHO

Price talk of new instruments is not allowed on the forum. Used prices are fine.

I haven't seen a lot of negative talk on the S2 line? I think most people who have them are happy with them. Haven't played a Custom, but the Mira I tried was great.

Happy S2 Mira owner here. First, it is not an SG; doesn't sound like one, feel like one and doesn't have that SG neck dive. :) I find that it can get as snarly or mellow depending on the pickups and a tweak of the tone control if needed.
The Mira is so versatile and comfortable to play that I've been neglecting my other guitars. I'm well out of the honeymoon phase and find it's the guitar that I always reach for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0V6IbtHqG0

First of all, enjoy the new guitar!

As to the Mira, I had one of the Cores and have played the S2, and both are great.

I have a 1965 SG Special, and while I'll concede similarities in materials and appearance, the Mira is (to me) a more versatile and articulate instrument, at least the one I had. However, it does share the warmth of tone of an all-mahogany body, and that's not a bad thing at all! :top:

Happy to say my S2 Custom arrived today. Looking good. Made some very minor adjustments and she's all good.

S2016492-detail2-large_zpsvsphlpla.jpg

This is the Sweetwater pic.. I'll get some of my own up later. Looks just as good in person. Right now just wanting to give it a workout.

Good choice, and darn if that isn't a beautiful one. I've had my S2 Mira since 2013 when they first came out and I love it, have not really ever heard anything but praise for the S2's.

I will dissent slightly by saying that I actually bought it because it is similar to an SG (the Mira and my SGs are my main guitars) and I love the fact that I can switch back and forth between them without adjusting the amp because they are so close in overall tonality. I just get a bit more snap from the Mira and a touch more grunt from the Gibbys.

Last edited:
Back