Thank You, John Mann. The S2 Transformation is Complete

Drew

My S2 CU 24 sat gutted in my guitar stand for the past 6 months I was vacationing in NH this past week and decided to drop it off at John Manns to finally get her back to a functional instrument. In went a set of metal pickups and core electronics. I had already installed the Mann Made trem on it. I didn't get a chance to play her until I got home last night. Boy, I wasn't disappointed. She is a sonic gem now. Not only was the set-up to my exact liking with #9 strings, but the metal pickups are no doubt the best that PRS makes. I'd put the Metal pickups against a Bareknuckle any day. I already knew how good these pickups were at high gain from the various you tube vids. The real surprise came when I barely had any gain. They are great at high gain but they are phenomenal at low gain. Great bluesy tones can be had from these.

The real bonus was that Mr Mann put a satin brushed finish on the covers and didn't even charge me for it. If you need guitar work done, he has an excellent guy on staff doing it.

Sorry for the bad cell phone picture but without a pic, its a hondo!

20150810_1313221.jpg

Very cool. I was thinking of changing the pickups on my S2 Standard 22 to something hotter, but then yesterday I played it some more and I really liked the tone. Weird. Sometimes it really depends how I dial in certain pickups to the pedals I'm using - running my amp fairly clean as it's a Fender, good platform for pedals.

Thanks for sharing! Glad you're liking it! I've been thinking about getting an S2 22 and giving it an identical treatment and you've only affirmed my thoughts that the \m/ pickups would be a good choice.

Last edited:
I've got "I Before E Except After C" in my head now. (paraphrasing) "Outside, you can see the difference; inside, you can hear the difference."

Agree with ya on the \m/, they do some great lower gain tones. Roll the volume back is great too.

Mr. Mann is the man - great products and great work at reasonable prices. Very cool mod there...would love to hear some before / after clips...

Mr. Mann is the man - great products and great work at reasonable prices. Very cool mod there...would love to hear some before / after clips...

Yes, he is the MAN. I told him I'd give him a plug. He is like the old time guitar shop we had in our town as kids. I was surprised when my GPS pulled me up to a modest residential home in Bedford NH. Behind it, he built a 2 story building where he makes the mann-made stuff on the ground floor and the retail space is on floor 2. Great guy to simply just chat up. He has one of the largest stocks of PRS I've seen in person. It was tempting to want to play all of them. However, being on vacation gave me time constraints since I was on vaca with other people. I did play 2 SE acoustics, one of which was the Alex Lifeson. If money wasn't an option, both might have gone home with me. The Eriza Verde CU24 was also close to coming home. Had the AC tech not informed me that my system needed replacing, it would have come home. Someone buy that thing, please! The pics on the website are in no way a representation of what that guitar looks like in person. It has a really beautiful subtle 3D figuring.

I just purchased his Fatback Hardtail bridge for my Robert Cray Strat. What a jewel of workmanship!

When i get my S2 CU 22 the first thing i'll do is put a mann made trem on it. God, the wait is torture!!LOL

if you go to his store website you will see he sells a kit for the s2 trem line. I am thinking about getting it for the s2 cu24 30th i got at the 30th event. I figure since i installed a 5 way and chg the pickups to a vb/hfs, why not the trem. Not to say I have an issue with the s2 trem.

Last edited:
Back