tension...

I love Green Day!

Of course, I've only been out of high school for...hmm...anyone got a calculator?

Oh, yeah, that would be...about uh, let's see...47 years....

Longer than anyone reading this thread has been alive, no doubt.

Who, or what the heck is Green Day? Ah, never mind. I couldn't begin to recognize over half the groups that have come up in the last 30 years. And I'm not going to go into griping about the kinds of stuff that is called music these days; I have no doubt that I would offend a lot of this group.

Anyway, out of high school, uh, lessee.... 48 years. D@mn, Les, not only older than dirt, I was there when it was hauled in.

Hey, DHW. Got a tip that I'll pass on from my guitar teacher (who is a lot younger than me!). You say you like to sit on the edge of the bed? It might help to sit either on a stool or preferably an armless chair, and use a foot stool that raises your knee higher than the level of your hip. That keeps the guitar from sliding off your leg and you don't have to worry about holding on to it and gripping it. That might possibly help relieve some of the posture tension. As for the rest of the tension from your everyday business/duties, it seems that "worry" may be a factor. When I was going through my teen years, I read something (can't remember where) that I've used as a life philosophy. And that is: realize that there is absolutely nothing in this world that you can do that will have any effect whatsoever on the outcome of the universe. Period. Now, I have been from time to time accused of having a "give-a-sh!t" attitude, unjustly I might add, but though it may seem callous, that philosophy seems to bring things into a more real focus. Not to say, that you can't affect those around you, 'cause obviously that ain't so. But the universe don't care. Honey bear don't care.

Try the stool tip. It makes sense and has helped me. Heck, I'm still a beginner trying to learn that 'lectric... :top:

Who, or what the heck is Green Day? Ah, never mind. I couldn't begin to recognize over half the groups that have come up in the last 30 years. And I'm not going to go into griping about the kinds of stuff that is called music these days; I have no doubt that I would offend a lot of this group.

Anyway, out of high school, uh, lessee.... 48 years. D@mn, Les, not only older than dirt, I was there when it was hauled in.

Hey, DHW. Got a tip that I'll pass on from my guitar teacher (who is a lot younger than me!). You say you like to sit on the edge of the bed? It might help to sit either on a stool or preferably an armless chair, and use a foot stool that raises your knee higher than the level of your hip. That keeps the guitar from sliding off your leg and you don't have to worry about holding on to it and gripping it. That might possibly help relieve some of the posture tension. As for the rest of the tension from your everyday business/duties, it seems that "worry" may be a factor. When I was going through my teen years, I read something (can't remember where) that I've used as a life philosophy. And that is: realize that there is absolutely nothing in this world that you can do that will have any effect whatsoever on the outcome of the universe. Period. Now, I have been from time to time accused of having a "give-a-sh!t" attitude, unjustly I might add, but though it may seem callous, that philosophy seems to bring things into a more real focus. Not to say, that you can't affect those around you, 'cause obviously that ain't so. But the universe don't care. Honey bear don't care.

Try the stool tip. It makes sense and has helped me. Heck, I'm still a beginner trying to learn that 'lectric... :top:

I play with a strap when sitting as well cause I'm a bit too round! lol. That said, I talked with him tonight and he thinks part of it is posture and the other part is expectations being out of whack. The book we are working In is a blues style rock and metal lead book. Basically learning everything from soloing to shredding. It's not a terribly thick book but he said most students take over a year to complete the book with some side excursions to keep it interesting and stuff he will be adding to it. The piece I'm working on he said won't likely be effortlessly played for nearly that long up to speed. i was ticked off that 2 weeks have gone by and I haven't nailed it yet lol.

I'm going to try the keyboard throne tomorrow and see how that goes since I have it already and practiced tonight standing up. It sure felt like there was less tension standing so maybe it was just posture. Of course I need to get used to playing standing up which I'll need to be able to do anyway.

Many moons ago when I was studying classical, my teacher had me play (mostly scales, sometimes pieces) with the left thumb completely off the neck, just held under the fretboard. He was forcing me to use less of a 'vise grip' by proving you don't have to push on the strings nearly as hard as you think might be needed.

It's not something that I'd recommend as a regular technique, but occasionally trying something like that might help the subconscious to reduce the muscle tension. If it can be done on a classical guitar, it should be even easier on an electric (as long as you're not using SRV-thickness strings an inch above the board)

D

I play with a strap when sitting as well cause I'm a bit too round! lol. That said, I talked with him tonight and he thinks part of it is posture and the other part is expectations being out of whack. The book we are working In is a blues style rock and metal lead book. Basically learning everything from soloing to shredding. It's not a terribly thick book but he said most students take over a year to complete the book with some side excursions to keep it interesting and stuff he will be adding to it. The piece I'm working on he said won't likely be effortlessly played for nearly that long up to speed. i was ticked off that 2 weeks have gone by and I haven't nailed it yet lol.

I'm going to try the keyboard throne tomorrow and see how that goes since I have it already and practiced tonight standing up. It sure felt like there was less tension standing so maybe it was just posture. Of course I need to get used to playing standing up which I'll need to be able to do anyway.

So completely understand about expectations being out of whack. If I go back far enough into my memory, I remember practicing for weeks until my fingers got over their soreness. But that was on an old cheap acoustic. It did get my fingertips hard as nails, though. Then hours upon hours wearing out the grooves on my LP's until I got the lyrics and fingerpicking down. Boy, those were the good ol' days! Should never have let so much time go by with not touching the guitar like I used to. Yeah, so all it takes is time, and the knowledge that patience will eventually be rewarded. I just got to remember that. Good luck!!

Lots of things come to mind:

-Take a 10-15 min break for every 45-60 min of playing.
-Relax.
-Develop a lighter touch. There's no need to strangle the neck.
-What string gauge do you use? Maybe consider going lighter to help develop that lighter touch and reduce fatigue.
-Warm up. Stretch everything from your neck down to your fingers.
-What neck profiles do you play? For me, thin necks make my hand more tense which leads to cramps.
-The mental thing is a biggie. If you hit a wall, put it aside until tomorrow and attack it again with fresh fingers and mind.

Lots of things come to mind:

-Take a 10-15 min break for every 45-60 min of playing.
-Relax.
-Develop a lighter touch. There's no need to strangle the neck.
-What string gauge do you use? Maybe consider going lighter to help develop that lighter touch and reduce fatigue.
-Warm up. Stretch everything from your neck down to your fingers.
-What neck profiles do you play? For me, thin necks make my hand more tense which leads to cramps.
-The mental thing is a biggie. If you hit a wall, put it aside until tomorrow and attack it again with fresh fingers and mind.

The main guitar I am practicing on is a pattern regular. I also play on a wide thin, a wide fat, and a musicman petrucci that's thinner than wide thin and maybe a touch wider. The pattern regular gets 99% of my time at the moment. It is strung with 10's. The MM is strung with 9's which drive me insane and will likely change at the next change. My hands are really not fatiguing quickly at all. I actually have to be careful to not overshoot on bends for the first couple hours. I have come a long ways on developing a lighter touch. I started on an accoustic and when I came to the electric that force stuck for a very long time. I am slowly getting that corrected. Taking the breaks is a good idea. Stretching more than just my fingers is another good idea.

perhaps you should seek treatment from a licensed physical therapist to not only get healing, but some exercises to strengthen what you keep wearing out. repetative motion and strain injuries are not to be trifled with as the damage can have career-limiting impact.

perhaps you should seek treatment from a licensed physical therapist to not only get healing, but some exercises to strengthen what you keep wearing out. repetative motion and strain injuries are not to be trifled with as the damage can have career-limiting impact.

I type on a computer for a living... My day is coming.

I agree with Les you may be trying too hard,first off you have to find your own voice you have to go back to the beginning,Eddie Van Halen practiced Eric Clapton licks for hours at a time not realizing he was actually playing RobertJohnson Albert\BB/And Fredfie King licks.I've been playing over 40 Years and Iam still finding new things.As for the tension I have arthritis in my fingers and the only therapy for me is to practice a couple of hours a day not all at once in spurts keeps my fingers and my wrists limber.FWIW I would go back and explore the old blues tunes and build your knowledge and speed you'll be pleasantly surprised when you find your own voice.Dont worry about what other guitarist are doing work on your own sound. Just my opinion.One of the funniest things I think I ever read in Guitar Player was learn to play like Billy Corgan why would I want to do that no offense Billy.

I also squeeze a rubber ball in my hands while reading or watching tv I do this for hours at a time relieves tension in my joints and wrist.Just a thought

I type on a computer for a living... My day is coming.

Yeah, me too.

I also squeeze a rubber ball in my hands while reading or watching tv I do this for hours at a time relieves tension in my joints and wrist.Just a thought

This is also a very good idea, and I need to do it a LOT more. Which I will after I get over the surgery to my left hand tomorrow, in about 5-6 weeks.

Back