Temperature changes

GuitarAddict

My bunker is divided in two by a waist high wall. One side is air conditioned / heated the other side isn’t. The aircon side is where I am with all my stuff. The other side houses 3 different speaker cabs and the rest is storage space.
I’ve noticed that when there’s been a particularly cold night and the speaker side is down to mid fifties deg f the sound from the cabs is very noticeably better. Better tone, better note definition, more detailed sound overall and better more direct feel from the guitar.
Can anyone tell me why?
Is it simply the speed of sound through colder air. Is it that the speakers are cold?
Conversely when it’s hot mid summer the sound is never right. This winter’s project is to have aircon both sides.

My bunker is divided in two by a waist high wall. One side is air conditioned / heated the other side isn’t. The aircon side is where I am with all my stuff. The other side houses 3 different speaker cabs and the rest is storage space.
I’ve noticed that when there’s been a particularly cold night and the speaker side is down to mid fifties deg f the sound from the cabs is very noticeably better. Better tone, better note definition, more detailed sound overall and better more direct feel from the guitar.
Can anyone tell me why?
Is it simply the speed of sound through colder air. Is it that the speakers are cold?
Conversely when it’s hot mid summer the sound is never right. This winter’s project is to have aircon both sides.
Well, paper speaker cones do absorb moisture, and A/C does tend to dry out a room. Maybe the speakers release moisture.

Seems to me a speaker holding moisture would be a tiny bit heavier and less responsive to movement, kind of like an acoustic guitar that's been over-humidified. This is just a wild, semi-educated, guess of course.

I suppose the damper air might also transmit sound slightly differently.

I mentioned this to my wife Tuesday. Had great tone all day.
She said she thought the answer was obvious.
Please enlighten me.
She just smiled and said Happy Valves.
So not one to argue with my wife, I’m far too experienced for that, I can officially say that the answer is the valves were happy.

I mentioned this to my wife Tuesday. Had great tone all day.
She said she thought the answer was obvious.
Please enlighten me.
She just smiled and said Happy Valves.
So not one to argue with my wife, I’m far too experienced for that, I can officially say that the answer is the valves were happy.
I'm big on happy valves.

Back