Tell me why I shouldn't..? (SE impulse-buy content)

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't, just on a whim, buy an SE Custom 24--new, or lightly used--and throw some locking tuners and zebra Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pickups into it? (I was first thinking of the Vaughn Skow "PRS" replacement set, but heck these SD's are even $80 cheaper and arguably more desirable, or at least well-known.)

I mean, c'mon..!

Can anybody tell me why I shouldn't, just on a whim, buy an SE Custom 24--new, or lightly used--and throw some locking tuners and zebra Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz pickups into it? (I was first thinking of the Vaughn Skow "PRS" replacement set, but heck these SD's are even $80 cheaper and arguably more desirable, or at least well-known.)

I mean, c'mon..!

51043693382_2cd17521dc_n.jpg

Do it ...But I for one can attest to the Vaughn Skow "PRS Replacement Pickups" ...

Yes, any SD combination is more well known, but if you can, grab a listen to Dave Wampler's video on You Tube. The thing being that unlike anything I heard on the SD site, this video gives you an accurate take on what is gained by making the switch. The SD's are no doubt good. But you don't get to hear them A/B 'ed to the stock 85/15's or in the guitar in question.

So based on that , I bit . And I do not regret the slightly greater cost. BTW, they (The Skow's ) produce some really useable coil cut tones, something I don't think SD even demonstrates ..I'm sure they do "split well", and I might even have a set in my future. But that would only to be to give the other SE a "different voice" ...

Either way, you won't go wrong

I was teasing Vaughn , that he is like Seymour Duncan was ... 50 years ago ! Whether he will ever get that big, or even wants to is up to him, the "fates" the market. But his stuff is good.. The Wampler video is an accurate measure...

Do it ...But I for one can attest to the Vaughn Skow "PRS Replacement Pickups" ...

Yes, any SD combination is more well known, but if you can, grab a listen to Dave Wampler's video on You Tube. The thing being that unlike anything I heard on the SD site, this video gives you an accurate take on what is gained by making the switch. The SD's are no doubt good. But you don't get to hear them A/B 'ed to the stock 85/15's or in the guitar in question.

So based on that , I bit . And I do not regret the slightly greater cost. BTW, they (The Skow's ) produce some really useable coil cut tones, something I don't think SD even demonstrates ..I'm sure they do "split well", and I might even have a set in my future. But that would only to be to give the other SE a "different voice" ...

Either way, you won't go wrong

I was teasing Vaughn , that he is like Seymour Duncan was ... 50 years ago ! Whether he will ever get that big, or even wants to is up to him, the "fates" the market. But his stuff is good.. The Wampler video is an accurate measure...
Yeah, I'll admit those do sound considerably "improved," especially with the split-tones engaged--which sounded rather lacking in the stock pickups. And his bridge pickup (around 8 kOhms) won't be nearly as over-wound as the JB (near 16 kOhms). Plus I hate the big fat silver printed logos smack atop each of the SD pickups. Hmm...

You see... the "problem" with your new SE... is that you can upgrade almost any "non-wood "(parts that are not the body & neck) and gain an improvement ! The fact being, FOR THE INITIAL $$$, it is a helluva deal. But it is "budget priced". Meant not to be super pricey (so we can actually afford to buy one) ...

Spend more on pickups, bridges, nuts , pots ... and it will probably get better. And a lot more expensive ! :)

Think of your SE, as a "Core" on the installment plan ! ;)

Just for fun, I'm going to be the diavolo avogadro.

Because you're going to spend $1300, with all the upgrades, and still have an SE. Seems to me there's a better investment.

If you're going to do all that, why not get an S2 instead? Then you'll have a US PRS with a non-veneer top, US build, and probably a lifetime of good tone. Throw all that accessory stuff on there, and it'll be even better!

You definitely shouldn’t go to Dave’s website, they definitely don’t have many great used SE’s to choose from...

(Actually they do, go now, thank me later...)

I have to agree with the prices through Dave's...Temps me with the same idea all the time and through them it leaves money in the budget for a mann bridge!

As for the SDs. I had a JB/Jazz set in an SE floyd and they sounded great!

I echo Dave’s as a go to, they currently have several SE CU 24’s, AND a SE CU 24 35th Anniversary for just a bit more. The 35th has the TCI S pickups, you might not want to change those out. $ saved.for other goodies.

Last edited:

Because you're going to spend $1300, with all the upgrades, and still have an SE. Seems to me there's a better investment.

If you're going to do all that, why not get an S2 instead? Then you'll have a US PRS with a non-veneer top, US build, and probably a lifetime of good tone. Throw all that accessory stuff on there, and it'll be even better!

Buy a Vela. Everyone needs a Vela. If you already have one, then you already know you need another one.

Wide thin neck on the SE?

I’ll play the Diablo Avocado and say; if you’re gonna get an S2 and still replace the pickups and trem, you may as well just save up to buy a Core.

Back