Tell me more about PRS SE Soapbar II

Simon Says

I EaT GrAss
I'm craving for P90's guitar for a while now. I never played one for long enough to justify if that's just temporary mood for something different or legit long standing relationship I may develop with a guitar with soapbars.

There is a PRS SE Soapbar II locally - in cherry finish, all mahagony for next to nothing in perfect condish I'm thinking to grab.

Any word on neck profile or pickups? I understand they are not being made for a while as I can't find much about them

£350, should I pull it?

I found this one on the wall at a local indie shop for $299.00 and it followed me home. I put Lindy Fralin P90's in it and it's become a great gigging guitar. The neck as mentioned above is approaching the chunkier side of necks but certainly not like a 59 Les Paul big; it's just a real nice handful. It's a no-nonsense Mahogany Slab with 2 P90's screwed on to it - the classic Gibson Student Model guitar that Leslie West tore the worlds face off with - it's all there. It's the set neck equivalent to a Tele, the simplest electric guitar you can make, yet it is a toneful, simple thing. Please excuse my semi-crap phone photo. This finish on this guitar is flawless, the frets came dressed perfectly. Incredible value, great sound.
oZIwpZT.jpg

My first PRS was an SE Singlecut With 2 P90’s. I still have it. Hipshot locking tuners, a Schroeder locking bridge and studs, and a Fender TBX tone control later, it rocks. Somewhere there should be a thread under the heading slick soapbar on the forum. And yes, it has a wiiiide fat neck. About the same as the Les Paul Custom it replaced.

I think I gonna opt out in the end. It was made like what 2005-2007? If I could lay my eyes and hands on it before buying then the decision making would be easy. I won't risk buying a guitar which is already 15 years old without playing it first.

So yeah, mission abort but thank you all

I hav
I bought my Custom 22 triple soapie without having played it. Best thing I ever did. It was well used for a damn good reason. It rocks.
I have no doubts about it but in my case, I have more guitars than tunes I know. I’m obliged to learn playing more and then I’ll reward myself ;)

I'm craving for P90's guitar for a while now. I never played one for long enough to justify if that's just temporary mood for something different or legit long standing relationship I may develop with a guitar with soapbars.

There is a PRS SE Soapbar II locally - in cherry finish, all mahagony for next to nothing in perfect condish I'm thinking to grab.

Any word on neck profile or pickups? I understand they are not being made for a while as I can't find much about them

£350, should I pull it?
They do seem to be going up in price over here on mainland europe. What was once a sub 300 Euro guitar is regularly selling for 400+. One thing I will say: I've got a soapbox II maple( originally in Blue Matteo...turned "Sherwood Green") is that the bridge pup is just a little on the "meh" side. Not much character. Love the neck one but bridge comes across as a little thin and fizzy, it lacks character.. I'd rather have a P90 that's closer to a Humbucker sound than a single coil if you know what I mean. ...I'm putting a good old Gibson P90 in mine for Christmas.... :)

They do seem to be going up in price over here on mainland europe. What was once a sub 300 Euro guitar is regularly selling for 400+. One thing I will say: I've got a soapbox II maple( originally in Blue Matteo...turned "Sherwood Green") is that the bridge pup is just a little on the "meh" side. Not much character. Love the neck one but bridge comes across as a little thin and fizzy, it lacks character.. I'd rather have a P90 that's closer to a Humbucker sound than a single coil if you know what I mean. ...I'm putting a good old Gibson P90 in mine for Christmas.... :)
I eventually passed on that SE. Now I regret I did, so back to the drawing board. The soapbar kind is the only guitar I really want right now - I'm hoping that PRS will do a new core on P90 eventually, I will be ready by then - unless I see 2 pickup Korina McCarty 9n a second hand market, I will be ok to wait. Korina Soapbar is da bomb

I eventually passed on that SE. Now I regret I did, so back to the drawing board. The soapbar kind is the only guitar I really want right now - I'm hoping that PRS will do a new core on P90 eventually, I will be ready by then - unless I see 2 pickup Korina McCarty 9n a second hand market, I will be ok to wait. Korina Soapbar is da bomb
You should seriously consider the 594 Soapbar. It’s the pinnacle of PRS P90s in my opinion, and the special run of pickups used in them are the most authentic to the classic P90 sound I’ve heard in any guitar. After owning many P90 guitars, my 594 Singlecut Soapbar ended the search and is the lone P90-equipped guitar I own now.

If you’re on the same search, it’s worth a look.

4UUKYT8.jpg

You should seriously consider the 594 Soapbar. It’s the pinnacle of PRS P90s in my opinion, and the special run of pickups used in them are the most authentic to the classic P90 sound I’ve heard in any guitar. After owning many P90 guitars, my 594 Singlecut Soapbar ended the search and is the lone P90-equipped guitar I own now.

If you’re on the same search, it’s worth a look.

4UUKYT8.jpg
I do, but I would rather have the doublecut. Either way, they did them as a limited edition, can't see them anywhere

'm craving for P90's guitar for a while now.
That makes two of us ! :)

I asked awhile back here on the forum , if PRS did any current production with P90's ... the answer ? NO ! :mad:

So I went on a search of the GuitarUniverse, and found a perfect match for what I was looking for. A Fender Player Mustang 90.

P90's, 24" scale length, and hard tail ! But considering what it is and MIM, vastly overpriced. But I did a "new " thing for me, and copped a used one !:cool:

Now to go really crazy, I'm going to "gamble" on 2 Harley Bentons. A TE 90OM, and their PRS CU 24 ripoff, the CST 90T , both equipped with P90's . Even if those guys turn out to be duds, they won't be a big loss. But my HB experience so far has been positive. (both for less than $400?)

If PRS decides to address this P90 Fever... I'm hoping they will do an S2 McCarty 594 Thinline (because of the neck carve ) with P90's ...
That would be the PRS I would be interested in ... Or re-introducing one of those SE "Soapies".

But if they sleep too long ... I may have to buy something I thought I never want, ('cause they are as big as Texas) .. . A Gibson 335 clone ... Sire H7V ...just introduced with P90's ! And if it is anywhere as cool as the Sire T7 I just bought ... That may be my "High End" P90 platform ...

That makes two of us ! :)

I asked awhile back here on the forum , if PRS did any current production with P90's ... the answer ? NO ! :mad:

So I went on a search of the GuitarUniverse, and found a perfect match for what I was looking for. A Fender Player Mustang 90.

P90's, 24" scale length, and hard tail ! But considering what it is and MIM, vastly overpriced. But I did a "new " thing for me, and copped a used one !:cool:

Now to go really crazy, I'm going to "gamble" on 2 Harley Bentons. A TE 90OM, and their PRS CU 24 ripoff, the CST 90T , both equipped with P90's . Even if those guys turn out to be duds, they won't be a big loss. But my HB experience so far has been positive. (both for less than $400?)

If PRS decides to address this P90 Fever... I'm hoping they will do an S2 McCarty 594 Thinline (because of the neck carve ) with P90's ...
That would be the PRS I would be interested in ... Or re-introducing one of those SE "Soapies".

But if they sleep too long ... I may have to buy something I thought I never want, ('cause they are as big as Texas) .. . A Gibson 335 clone ... Sire H7V ...just introduced with P90's ! And if it is anywhere as cool as the Sire T7 I just bought ... That may be my "High End" P90 platform ...

I still feel my perfect P90 would be 2008 Korina Soapbar. They used to be everywhere, now they just like a gold dust. Such a beautiful guitars

Back