Tell me about your SE EG?

Yeah, I wasn’t fully expecting to win. $350 and free shipping.

If I hate it, it’s yours.

Nah, it's for the best. It would've drawn the ire of the Mrs and then I'd probably just hang on to it for a few months and try to flip it on Reverb to make a few bucks since it was so cheap. That or I'd end up performing some completely unnecessary mods and then hanging on to it for a few more months and then selling it on Reverb for a loss. :oops:

Nah, it's for the best. It would've drawn the ire of the Mrs and then I'd probably just hang on to it for a few months and try to flip it on Reverb to make a few bucks since it was so cheap. That or I'd end up performing some completely unnecessary mods and then hanging on to it for a few more months and then selling it on Reverb for a loss. :oops:

Ain't that the truth!

Hi everyone. These are my SE EG guitars:

M.aspx

This first white one is equipped with Lace Sensor Hot Gold pickups, all 6k. These have a nice vintage SSS tone. Since taking this photo, they've been changed to DiMarzio Area 58's in the Neck and Middle and a Virtual Vintage Blues in the Bridge. IMO that sounds better than the Lace's, although the Lace's are not bad.The DiMarzio's sound better to me, with a little extra power in the bridge.

M.aspx

This other white one is set up with lace Senor Hot Gold's, but this time with 12k Hot Gold Bridge pickups in both the bridge and neck positions. Much more powerful than the previous white one! Plenty of "quack" in the 2 & 4 positions...

M.aspx

This sunburst one has the DiMarzio Fast Track set consisting a Fast Track 2 in the bridge, Fast Track 1 in the middle and a Pro Track in the neck position. This guitar is hot! Still plenty of quack in 2 & 4 - had to play around with the pickup heights to bring it out but it's there! I plan to add a DPDT push/pull tone control, but not for coil splitting, because IMO these do not need to be split - they sound great in full HB mode. The reason for the switching will be to get the "missing 2 sounds" on a SSS setup, that being Bridge/Neck and all 3. It's a simple mod that will make this guitar quite versatile. Of the three, this has become my "go to" guitar.

Don't know why the SE's didn't last long 'cause I'm loving 'em. Wish these were reissued, with the DiMarzio Fast Track set installed stock and with the above mentioned switching mod, in the new Black Gold Burst finish, with a maple veneer or even a full on maple top. Make this and I will be the first buyer!

There are some who say that if one wants a "S" style guitar, go get yourself a F Brand guitar. Understood and appreciated, but for PRS lovers who want something that quacks without paying the higher prices of the S2 Studio and such (And lack what is IMO the nicer visual aesthetic of the SE EG), the SE EG's are (Well, were.) the perfect ticket.

For those who would suggest the Silver Sky: IMO it's a bit too much like Those Other Guys' guitar, has a 9" fingerboard radius (I prefer 10") and it's too expensive for my budget. In some ways I do kinda like the Silver Sky, since it's a bit smaller than That Other Guitar, but again the price and FB radius are deal breakers for me, as well as non hum cancelling PU's (I need noiseless because of my situation: the electricity in our church is bad and we get horrendous 60 cycle interference, sometimes even with humbucking pickups.). If an SE Silver Sky were offered with a 10" FB radius, noiseless pickups and available in Black Gold Burst, hey I might go for that (Make those PU's standard size to facilitate swapping out to aftermarket PU's if desired, and hey dot/moon inlays would be okay.).

Glad to be in this conversation, enjoy!

P.S. Being the owner of the above SE's, an SE CU24, an S2 Standard 24, a CE24, a 25th Anniversary Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield and a '91 Custom 24 Ten Top, I find the slightly fuller necks of the SE series most to my liking.

Last edited:
One of my buddies has one and loves it, it’s a ringer of a guitar for sure, the pickups were meh. That being said, knowing what I know now, I would get an S2 Standard satin and do a custom pickguard.

Wow, dude, I'm in the process of experimenting with an S2 Standard 24 Satin Sunburst in similar fashion. Already cut 2 custom guards, one a stock PRS guard with a middle pickup cutout for HSH experimentation and another guard cut from PG blank sheet in SSS configuration (Yeah, I had to route out a swimming pool on the S24!). I'm hoping to hit on the ideal 3 pickup combination for a 24 fret PRS that quacks as much as possible. The reason is that I like the way a 24 fret PRS balances and the way the neck sticks out a little more because of the extra frets, but I gotta have those "in between" SSS type tones. Haven't found the right mix of pickups yet. I'm a DiMarzio fan but am not sure which way to go.

I like the Bluesbuckers for the full size HB positions but haven't found a stacked single coil that mixes well with those yet. An HS-3 was way too weak, as was a Virtual Vintage Blues. I need all three pickups to be noiseless because 60 cycle interference in our my church due to bad electrical wiring. I want a combination where the middle pickup can be set to about the same heihgt of the neck and bridge and still get a good balance between all 3 PU's. Any suggestion on combinations of DiMarzio's for the HSH setup will be appreciated. I'm considering Area 61, Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues and Injector as possibilities for the middle against the Bluesbuckers.

Back