Tell me about your SE EG?

sergiodeblanc

How so y’all feel about these? I know it’s not totally gonna nail a Strat sound but... let’s be real, nothing PRS has done besides the SS does.

I kinda miss my DC3, but it wasn’t the be-all-end-all, and I totes don’t want a SS (knob placement/Strat hater), so I’m lookin’ at these SE’s.

Did you or do you have one? What was your overall experience with it?

Talk to me.

I have this one...
vmmdzwuxmriiksqa8hbl.jpg

I know...it's blue...

Still, it was cheap, lovely to play, and sounds fairly Stratish.

I have a MIM Strat and in comparison, this has 90% of the tone, much easier to play, and just feels and looks good. I know it doesn't have a trem but I have a CE for that. You don't want to know what it cost me (think really low). I would not hesitate if one pops up near you.

How so y’all feel about these? I know it’s not totally gonna nail a Strat sound but... let’s be real, nothing PRS has done besides the SS does.

I kinda miss my DC3, but it wasn’t the be-all-end-all, and I totes don’t want a SS (knob placement/Strat hater), so I’m lookin’ at these SE’s.

Did you or do you have one? What was your overall experience with it?

Talk to me.

Never played the SE EG, but as you know I have an EG-3. It is the greatest strat I have ever played - and I HATE strats too. But, if I am reading your post right, you don't want the 3 knob, 5-way controls......is that correct?

If it's something you can live with, you can get a "pre-factory" Millcom bridge loaded beast for almost nothing.....

Here's a pic of the '3 again, just to remind you of the control layout....

Never played the SE EG, but as you know I have an EG-3. It is the greatest strat I have ever played - and I HATE strats too. But, if I am reading your post right, you don't want the 3 knob, 5-way controls......is that correct?

If it's something you can live with, you can get a "pre-factory" Millcom bridge loaded beast for almost nothing.....

Here's a pic of the '3 again, just to remind you of the control layout....

Yeah, the knobs bother me, the wide-ness of ‘em (Strats, not EG’s) kinda turn me off too.

Those old EG’s are getting kinda pricey lately. I’ve always wanted one, and I lost out on one just like yours (but with neck pocket cracks) a few years ago from a lame eBay seller.

Sergio, I would suggest the second gen USA EG's. Alder body, original trem and..... wings:D

Yeah, I was just pm-ing with Markd21 about the old EG’s and what a cheap bastid I’ve become about them.

The allure of the SE is price coupled with the fact that I really like the SE Soapbar I have, and these are pretty much identical shape and neck wise.

.... and c’mon buddy, you know I got some wings stashed away in my Armageddon box, so a set is going on whatever I wind up with.

So why didn't the DC3 work out?

The SE EG is basically the same guitar as the Soapbar II but with different pickups and a trem option.

The good thing is it feels just like the Soapbar II. The bad thing is it sounds less like a Strat than the DC3. If you're cool with that, rock on.

So why didn't the DC3 work out?

The SE EG is basically the same guitar as the Soapbar II but with different pickups and a trem option.

The good thing is it feels just like the Soapbar II. The bad thing is it sounds less like a Strat than the DC3. If you're cool with that, rock on.

The DC3 didn’t didn’t work out, it just wound up (accidentally) as trade fodder for that green Santana (I’m powerless in the face of open bottles of wine, women with space buns in their hair and Santana shaped PRS) I got off of Rider.

Don’t get me wrong, I love(d) that DC3, and it was the most Strat outta all the previous PRS offerings but I can’t say I didn’t think something was missing with the 305/DC/513 pickups. I’m kinda of the mind that the woods and construction of the SE EG may be as different sounding from a Strat as the DC’s pickups... but at like, 1/3rd the cost, and in a guitar style I know I already like.

At least that’s what I’m thinking today, tomorrow may be different.

If your thinking about stop tail, can do HH with mira, or even get router out and be creative

Or recognise you have TMS and cull/rehome SEs for a studio or 509

I have skin in game as scored an s2 mira and it is an ace platform

There's a good deal on a black-on-black HSS trem one on the 'verb, but it's lost on me b/c I'd just replace the singles with stacked ones b/c I hate hum and don't jones for that singlecoil sound.

HOWEVER, if it was HSS white with a black pickguard and hardtail, then it would have a Jake E Lee vibe (slanted singles, although his go the other way) and I would be all over that, so as to honor Ozzy's greatest guitarist. Fight me.

sorry I only have 2 real eg's. one black and one blue . I really enjoy them , but I have a strat when I want to sound like a strat.

One of my buddies has one and loves it, it’s a ringer of a guitar for sure, the pickups were meh. That being said, knowing what I know now, I would get an S2 Standard satin and do a custom pickguard.

That being said, knowing what I know now, I would get an S2 Standard satin and do a custom pickguard.

That has been going through my mind, maybe not a satin but, Dave’s has some incredible deals on some “used” S2 Standards. I’m really only unsure of the cost and if I have the energy for a project.

Single coil guitars are tough for me to get jazzed about, but it’s really a “food group” I feel is missing from my diet.

That has been going through my mind, maybe not a satin but, Dave’s has some incredible deals on some “used” S2 Standards. I’m really only unsure of the cost and if I have the energy for a project.

Single coil guitars are tough for me to get jazzed about, but it’s really a “food group” I feel is missing from my diet.

Dude, that is a VERY viable option. My S2 STD 22s are KILLER and classy looking at the same time. And remember....not ALL single coils are skinny and anemic!!!!

These GFS Surf 90 pickups are like "big shell" versions of the Vela neck pickup. Simply gorgeous single coil sounds without the hassle of having to do a custom pickguard - unless you NEED the middle pickup....which you could do since the STD 22 has a pool route.

Back