Tell me about fuses!

andy474x

Knows the Drill
This is a boring topic to use for a post, but can someone educate me on amp fuses? Thankfully I've never had an amp problem at a gig, or a fuse problem ever, but I always take spare tubes to gigs just in case, and I'm thinking it would be smart to have some spare fuses too. Anyone ever blown a fuse or know how often it happens? My SE30 has a "Main" fuse, filament fuses, and B+ fuses, and as far as my limited knowledge goes, the main fuse is usually the one located on the back panel of an amp. What do they all do? Since the "main" fuse is the easiest one to access, I would assume it's the most probable one to go out? I'm sure there are a lot of variables that play into it, but it seems like if a fuse blows in the middle of a set, you better hope it's the one that's accessible on the back panel. Also, the main fuse on the SE30 is inside a little compartment in the power cord connection, and it's kinda tough to get into, any tips? I would think maybe the Maryland amps use the same thing.

I have a gig next week, my band is all classmates from dental school and due to the demands of our program we don't get out and play a lot. So I really try to be sure that when we do have a show, all the bases are covered. It's one of the few times that I have a lot of people wanting to buy me beer, so it has to go right! :)

It should say next to the fuse or in the amp's handbook what it is, usually rated in milliamps (mA).

There are two types Fast-Blo and Slo-Blo. Most amps I know of tend to use Fast-Blo, although some will use Slo. Again, check on the amp of the handbook as to which you need :)

It should say next to the fuse or in the amp's handbook what it is, usually rated in milliamps (mA).
There are two types Fast-Blo and Slo-Blo. ...

I have an amp with Slo-Blo -- it blew. Lesson learned, have spare fuses. That fuse saved my amp during an electrical spike, but without another fuse the amp is serving as a paperweight.

The fuses used on tube amps tend to be of the slow-blow variety. Slow-blow fuses are designed to handle the inductive surge that occurs when one first powers on a tube amp.

Oh my god... a band full of dentists... this beats all the Norwegian blackmetal attempts to scare people ;)

HAHA, I got a kick out of that! Maybe I should re-purpose this thread for jokes people could make about a band of dentists... Yeah, I think so. Ready, set, go!

Back