Tell me about 58/15 pickups in the SC245..

dsheppard

I have a new/old stock 2014 SC245 on the way, and am curious about the pickups. I've seen several for sale ads, with some pretty hefty asking prices. What gives?? I have some Seymour Duncans lined up for it, but looking for an idea of what these have going on! Of course, I'll get a first hand- test run tomorrow!!

I just got a P245SH (similar enough to a SC245, I suppose, just adding piezo and removing some internal wood!) with 58/15s.

I like 'em! They have a really nice tone to them, maybe a little more oomph and touch of high end compared to 57/08s (or if you like, a mild upper mid-range cut, but with the same overall signal strength).

But if you prefer your SDs, then I think you can probably sell the 58/15s and re-coup most of your costs.

I have a 2016 SC245 with those pickups and its the first guitar ive ever bought that wont get new pickups. I would'nt even sell em for the ridiculous prices people have been charging for their takeoffs. The only thing i don't like is the flashy chrome covers which i hate, but i will even live with those for the sound.

I have a P245 with 58/15. As compared to the SC245 pickups that came in my 2008 SC245, I like the 58/15 more. A bit more complex tone, and decent output. Definitely lots of frequency content. I found the 245 pickups to be quite anemic and uninspiring.

I replaced the 245 pickups with BKP Cold Sweats, which I REALLY like. They even out the mid-emphasis of the mahogany SC, plus add some great bite, while still cleaning up well when rolled back. They are tight with overdrive, so you can use them for hard rock as well as blues. I also put a set in an SC (25" scale).

Compared to the Cold Sweats, the 58/15 are more complex and less tight. They are also quite clear, and seem a lot more responsive to playing and volume control. So I would say that I like them, but am struggling a bit with the complexity at higher gains as it can be a bit muddy. Jury is still out for me based on the styles I play, but definitely a big upgrade from many other pickups.

The only thing i don't like is the flashy chrome covers which i hate, but i will even live with those for the sound.

They're actually nickel plated, not chrome.

I realize this probably matters not at all, but there's a difference between nickel and chromium plating.

I didn't like 245 pickups in my 2007 SC245. I swapped their alnico V magnets to alnico IV (my favourite) and now it's a new guitar. More in the vintage ballpark but with a modern push for riffing.
My only experience with 58/15s was trying a P245 semi hollow. Very transparent low output pickups, not as warm as my 57/08s or my modded 245s, but maybe that's what you're looking for

I don't believe I'll be changing them! Very clear, nice and musical. Great harmonics! Guitar sounds killer through my Marshall!

Back