Telecaster tone hunt

It doesn't get a ton of play-time since it's a 22 but, it's my "Tele".

It was my heartbreak guitar and the first Design On A Dimebag guitar. Hans, Bill (rugerpc), John Beef, SevenMike7, Eric (egads), Shawn, and the PTC all chipped in to make a legendary (to me) instrument.

Sweet as!

I have the Vela and I recently bought a fender Baja telecaster, which is great. The Vela can get close. I have been playing both through a fender 57 custom shop deluxe amp and I can tell you the vela neck pickup through that amp is awesome Bridge sounds are different.

Any telecaster, any amp ;)

I like to get both rock and chime, with some twang, but more rock tone. I had a Fender tele with SCN pups that worked well both clean and dirty. I am using an ASAT classic now with David Allen Hot Vintage pups that is very nice clean and dirty. I tried Colt 51s and they were amazing clean, but got really muddy with any overdrive at all.

What didn't you like about the MFD stock ASAT classic pickups? I have a stock ASAT classic semi solid. Great guitar. Way better than a stock MIM tele in my opinion.

It's hard for me to replicate a tele sound. I don't dig the noiseless tele pickups I have or have tried. I like single coils that noise cancel in the middle switch position.

"Any telecaster, any amp ;)"
This...

But if you want a PRS approximation, a DGT in split mode gets in the ballpark. The 513 is way more stratty...
The Vela is another that gets near the ballpark, but just not the same thing...

*edit- fwiw- Mrs. Bebop bought me a sub $500 ( + 20% off of that... :) ) Squire 72 thinline for xmas that's absolutely incredible!! Just sayin' it's good to keep an open mind, and every guitar player should own at least one actual Tele...

Yes. Great. Those Squier Classic Vibe tele's are hard to beat. Nicer than MIM Fender standards in my opinion, but a high end MIM is great or upgraded pickups in the standard.

While some PRS guitars come close to producing a good Tele sound in some positions, If you want real authenticTele sounds in all 3 positions - You will just have to go buy one.

Last edited:
I found a fantastic value in the Micheal Kelly telecasters.
I have CC50 with fralins stock, alder body maple neck rosewood fret board. I cannot find a single thing I dont like about it. It also has unique electronics switching for multiple tones.
it was only $399. :eek: The thing I never liked about fenders was the narrow nut could not fret open D chord, The american specials would suit me but for $1000, I tried MK) . so MK use 43 mm nut and 22 frets unlike MIM 21 fret. the sustain and harmonics are simply top notch. he has 10 different telecaster versions to choose from. He puts in high quality boutique pickups in many of the models, duncans, fralins, so on...
the reviews confirm the high quality for almost no money. impressive value.

Reactions: CVS
I've been curious about the Vela's D-type single coil. Also thought of modding a Vela with a Fralin tele pickup in the bridge...If you could opt for a Vela with a maple board, I'd get there right now.

I've been curious about the Vela's D-type single coil. Also thought of modding a Vela with a Fralin tele pickup in the bridge...If you could opt for a Vela with a maple board, I'd get there right now.
Great idea! Please proceed and let us know how you like it. :). If you like it, I may take the plunge.

"Les, I understand you're not a Tele man. But isn't every professional musician required by the natural laws of the universe to have an exact example of every supposedly standard tone on hand?"

"Nope."

"Well what about a Strat?"

"No."

"Rick?"

"Nah."

"Mosrite?"

"You gotta be kidding."

"Les Paul?"

"Forget it."

"Well, why do you have several PRSes on hand, then, if you don't need the standard tones?"

"Because they're wooden heroin."

I've been thinking of doing this with a Dimarzio Twang King to my Vela... I much prefer playing it to my Tele Custom, and I've got the Starla pup in my core Starla... maybe use the push/pull for series/parallel in the middle position...

I've been thinking of doing this with a Dimarzio Twang King to my Vela... I much prefer playing it to my Tele Custom, and I've got the Starla pup in my core Starla... maybe use the push/pull for series/parallel in the middle position...
Good idea...or perhaps a phase circuit? Lollar makes a humbuckers sized bridge tele pickup...

Back