Telecaster tone hunt

Any telecaster, any amp ;)

I like to get both rock and chime, with some twang, but more rock tone. I had a Fender tele with SCN pups that worked well both clean and dirty. I am using an ASAT classic now with David Allen Hot Vintage pups that is very nice clean and dirty. I tried Colt 51s and they were amazing clean, but got really muddy with any overdrive at all.

Custom 24, outside coils, best way to get middle position Tele tones.

My S2 Satin 22 is surprisingly twangy on the bridge and single coil-y on the neck. My Mira X was even more so, before I traded it.

"Any telecaster, any amp ;)"
This...

But if you want a PRS approximation, a DGT in split mode gets in the ballpark. The 513 is way more stratty...
The Vela is another that gets near the ballpark, but just not the same thing...

*edit- fwiw- Mrs. Bebop bought me a sub $500 ( + 20% off of that... :) ) Squire 72 thinline for xmas that's absolutely incredible!! Just sayin' it's good to keep an open mind, and every guitar player should own at least one actual Tele...

Last edited:
The Paul's bridge split was very good. Bet it would be great on the Brent Mason.

I love the bridge split on my 594. Very twangy, but not too bright.

Regardless of guitar, it helps to pick close to the bridge. You can get a great twangy country tone out of any of the above, but if you really want to nail That Sound, nothing but the real thing will do.

I also have an Anderson Mongrel (tele body, humbuckers that split) with a swamp ash body and maple neck. You really need the right materials to get that tone. Split, the Anderson sounds almost indistinguishable from a classic tele.

I think you'd have to get an ash/maple PRS with coil split to get tele tones. A recent GOM has that going on, I think a 594 SC.

Where you been hiding that? I don't think I've seen it before.

It doesn't get a ton of play-time since it's a 22 but, it's my "Tele".

It was my heartbreak guitar and the first Design On A Dimebag guitar. Hans, Bill (rugerpc), John Beef, SevenMike7, Eric (egads), Shawn, and the PTC all chipped in to make a legendary (to me) instrument.

Last edited:
Mo
Which part of the telecaster tone are you after - neck, bridge or in-between?
Mostly neck, but I'm interested in the whole enchilada. I'm needing some spankage, some down dirty American twangle. Maybe even some thwackage. Is lipstick the only way to get there?

I have recently tried to decide whether to sell my tele or my Brent Mason. In the end I think I'll keep them both, because they're actually quite different.
I get more P90 soul from a narrow 408, and I love the 408s to death. But it won't make your lips red like lipstick. Is there no other way?

Back