Tele player looking to get first PRS

Hi all,

New to this forum. I'm starting to get into doing studio session work and looking to expand into other music genres other than country.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions out there on what I can get for my first PRS. I'm looking for something to do classic rock/ blues rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
~Marc

Safest bet is a DGT.

Neck profiles are similar compared to a Tele. Might be a good fit for Marc's hands.

If you are used to a Tele with a substantial neck, the McCarty line is the way to go...

...Unless you are getting something off the beaten path, they will be primarily mahogany with a bit of maple and rosewood to add punch.

The guitars feature coil tapping and a very usable tone knob if you are looking for more of a p-90 sound, but I figure your Tele will cover all the normal single coil tones for you.

Good luck, and make sure to post pics when you find yours!

McCarty's also have a larger neck profile. A good suggestion as well.

If you can find one, I recommend the Custom 22 “Special”. With the strat/Tele style single coil pup in the middle, and coil taps on the buckers, I can get Strat, Tele, and PRS tones out of one guitar...that’s what I call versatile. They can be found for under 2k.. Also, right now there are Custom 22 Semi hollow models on offer, at several of the PRS dealers, but they are in the 3 - 4K range. I have made an offer on one, and we are getting close to my deal price.. hee-hee..

You got Davy's money?

I’ve got some of Davy’s money. Well, I had some of Davy’s money - of that money, he’s already got most of it. The rest is either in the account of the promoter or venue right now. I assume they’ll pay him the night of the gig.

None of this takes into account any future money of Davy’s that will eventually be passed from my possession to his.

I used to have a tele! I loved it.

It was just too darn heavy!

I am now loving my PRS S2 Standard 22! Body made in Maryland with imported electronics and hardware. Something for you to consider.

The biggest issue is that we all love different models for different reasons. Try out as many models as possible. Regardless of what you end up with, you’re probably going to be happy. And then you get your second, and then your third, and then you realize the intonation on all of these bad boys puts the other brands to shame, and then the kool aid takes over......

DING,DING,DING.
We have a winner!!!!

I was at a David Grissom guitar clinic in San Antonio a few weeks ago, front and center.

I got to hear David up close and personal, and he showed those attending all the tones he could get on his DGT.

I was AMAZED at how he could approximate a Tele on steroids with his bridge pickup in full humbucker and split.

He just turned down the volume a little to lighten the overdrive and did some KILLER country style licks that sounded A LOT like Tele tones to me.

Then he coaxed all sorts of rock tones out of that guitar.

I own a DGT, and I agree with SERGIO 100%.

The DGT IS the PRS that fits your needs the best.

If you have any doubts, go on youtube and watch David Grissom videos .

Rob Harris does some interesting things too with the DGT

Rob Harris does some interesting things too with the DGT

I agree Alnus.

That's guy is an AMAZING rhythm player who I've heard in videos on Youtube with Jamiroquai,

I've never heard him with the DGT, but I bet he get awesome tones with it live on stage.

I also get my best rhythm tones in the middle position with the tone knob pulled in humbucker split setting.

Well, Davy and I talked about that one day at Exp and I brought up the Vela. Check out his response...

...but you’ll never hear me bad mouth a DGT.

trc2.jpg
It occurred to me that you can’t tell that this is a pick of an RL Vela and a DGT STD. It was my very subtle way of supporting both directions.

I agree Alnus.

That's guy is an AMAZING rhythm player who I've heard in videos on Youtube with Jamiroquai,

I've never heard him with the DGT, but I bet he get awesome tones with it live on stage.

I also get my best rhythm tones in the middle position with the tone knob pulled in humbucker split setting.

I think he’s used the DGT quite a lot. I believe he’s on record saying that he loves the SS as well!

Hmmm. Never played a DGT but have done with S2 Vela many times through a Mesa Rectoverb combo. It didn't remind me of a Telly at all to be honest.
What about others that I've experienced with? Let me recall a moment:
  • SE CU22 Semi did sound very close to a Straty, but not Telly.
  • SE Roasted Maple Ltd. has brighter tone, but again, doesn't sound like a Telly.
  • Silver Sky sounds like a fattten-up Straty, still not Tele tone...
My apologize for having none of best solution for you. But oh, wait wait wait! Would you like to take a chance with this swamp ash SE? :D

I play Teles on most gigs for all types of music. Not Fenders, but some boutique and partcaster ones to my specs.

No question to me, the PRS that has the Tele versatility AND attitude is the DGT.

You got Davy's money? I sure don't! I don't know whether the OP feels he needs a new guitar, or just wants one. If he wants one, cool! It just sounded like he felt that a Tele was limited to country. He further stated he was looking for something to do classic rock/ blues rock. Davy's video proves you can do that on a Tele!

Sometimes its just about a mindset. If the OP is used to playing Country on his Tele, then picking up a Tele might put him in a default country mode of playing. Picking up a different model guitar can kind of "reset" your mind and allow you to play differently. At least that's been my experience. My #1 is a Tele and I normally play Blues on it. It's definitely my go to with the Blues band I play in. I'm starting up another band that will be more rock oriented. I plan on leaving both my Teles at home when playing with this band. My 594 is probably going to be my #1 with the new band. My #2 for the new band is still up in the air but I'm thinking my Charvel Model 6. Because sometime you just gotta dive bomb a Floyd Rose.

I find that CEs with coil splits tend to have the most Tele-like tones to me. My CE24 sounds extremely Tele-like with the bridge pickup split. From what I've seen, DGTs cop Tele tones very well too.

Nor sure what the OP's budget is, but the SE lineup is quite impressive as well for a lower price than the core models. My favorite all-round model is the custom 24, but if it's too modern sounding, maybe look into the SE Paul's Guitar? You get the classic PRS body shape, pickups that split really well, and (to my ear) less hot pickups than what you would find in a custom 24 for example. I tried it out in a store last weekend and really liked it. Very light and super resonant.

I'd first ask what other guitars you have. What neck is on your tele, what tele is it? I'd suggest the DGT, but realize you are going from 9's to 11's and that's an adjustment. Of course you can put 10's on the DGT, and due to the way the DGT is made it'll feel more like 9's. But a DGT is very versatile with a very comfy neck, especially coming from Fender, and it's coil taps are probably the best I've heard.

Back