Tele player looking to get first PRS

Marc LeBlanc

Hi all,

New to this forum. I'm starting to get into doing studio session work and looking to expand into other music genres other than country.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions out there on what I can get for my first PRS. I'm looking for something to do classic rock/ blues rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
~Marc

Welcome to the forum!

I've got a feeling that diving straight into a Custom 24 (arguably the definitive PRS model) might feel "too modern" right away, but I trust it'd still be fantastic. Sticking to the "Core" range, though, I suspect either a 509 or Paul's Guitar could be very versatile and give you lots of sonic options. Or, if you're ready for a change to humbuckers in a classic sense, any McCarty model would be excellent.

But of course, there's so many... and all of 'em good. Maybe just try to get your hands on any type of PRS and go from there on what you like, didn't like, etc.

Find a used Core Mira. It's an absolute rock/classic rock machine, and with the thinner mahogany body I think it'll be more comfortable for a tele player.

Hi all,

New to this forum. I'm starting to get into doing studio session work and looking to expand into other music genres other than country.

Just wondering if there are any suggestions out there on what I can get for my first PRS. I'm looking for something to do classic rock/ blues rock. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
~Marc

When you mention Telecaster, I automatically think of the PRS Vela.
For everything else, I think a PRS "McCarty 594" will handle all the classic double humbucker tones you would ever want.
https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/mccarty_594_2020
PRS Custom 24's are also extremely popular, and of course, the model which launched the company.

(Note: the McCarty 594 is a short scale guitar with 22 frets and a semi-beefy neck, while the Custom 24 is a 25" inch scale with 24 frets and typically a thinner neck.)

If you like a Baja Tele size neck, any SE model that has a Wide-Fat neck would feel close to home.

I’m a multi-Tele owner who is crazy for any of the SE guitars with Soapbar pickups. You can find used ones online at very reasonable prices.

Then once you get a taste of PRS, well...;)

If you are used to a Tele with a substantial neck, the McCarty line is the way to go.

The 594 variant will give you the Les Paul sounds while the regular ones push it closer to 'super strat' due to the longer scale length.

Unless you are getting something off the beaten path, they will be primarily mahogany with a bit of maple and rosewood to add punch.

The guitars feature coil tapping and a very usable tone knob if you are looking for more of a p-90 sound, but I figure your Tele will cover all the normal single coil tones for you.

Good luck, and make sure to post pics when you find yours!

Played a Tele for years, I would start looking at McCartys , CU22 , 408 , DGT and if you are looking for a single cut look at an SCT.
That should keep you busy for awhile the Pattern or the wide fat necks felt right to me from the start.

Safest bet is a DGT.

DING,DING,DING.
We have a winner!!!!

I was at a David Grissom guitar clinic in San Antonio a few weeks ago, front and center.

I got to hear David up close and personal, and he showed those attending all the tones he could get on his DGT.

I was AMAZED at how he could approximate a Tele on steroids with his bridge pickup in full humbucker and split.

He just turned down the volume a little to lighten the overdrive and did some KILLER country style licks that sounded A LOT like Tele tones to me.

Then he coaxed all sorts of rock tones out of that guitar.

I own a DGT, and I agree with SERGIO 100%.

The DGT IS the PRS that fits your needs the best.

If you have any doubts, go on youtube and watch David Grissom videos .

Last edited:
Not to ruin a potential NGD, but check out Davy Knowles and tell me why you need anything other than a Tele.
Well, Davy and I talked about that one day at Exp and I brought up the Vela. Check out his response...

...but you’ll never hear me bad mouth a DGT.

trc2.jpg

As a fellow guitarist that loves using an Esquire (apart from my PRS') I will throw one out there that I have found makes me very happy when doing sessions across a multitude of genres....

The Brent Mason Signature.

It is out of production, but they are often available used on Reverb. As of today there are 4 available.

I dig the BM because the narrow 408 pickups and the 305 single coil, mixed with a 5 way blade and the mini-toggle splits from the 08/Paul's Guitar allow for a ton of tones. The Korina body and bolt-on maple neck allow for clarity and snap, while still having the pickguard allows for some of the familiar Fender "dampening" that one gets used to playing a Strat or Tele.

Here's some pictures of mine:

Another model I can strongly recommend is the CE24 Semi-Hollow. It has an incredible range of tones for two pickups and a three way toggle. Of course, the pickups tap adding even more tones. In reality, I prefer the guitar with the taps engaged. There is a girthy twang that really slices through but maintains some bottom end. No anemic tones at all. In full humbucker you can easily get smooth blues tones, smoky jazz tones on the neck pickup, or even just rip faces off with high gain on the bridge pickup. It's a very versatile guitar.

I would say it is a little more in your face and "present" than the Brent Mason, owing to the lack of a giant piece of plastic on the front. Both guitars are resonate and tuneful, but the CE24 has more presence and bite than the BM. The BM has more subtle texture than the CE. Both are killer, but pick your flavor....

Here's a couple pics of my CE24SH:

[/url

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2e7sk4a]
[/url]

The split tones on a 594 will surprise you if you’ve never heard them. DGT is also a solid recommendation; those pickups split amazingly well, too, and are way hairy when cranked.

The Brent Mason looks like it would be super versatile.

I am primarily a tele player, and have teles with humbucker and trems as well.

To change it up I have a couple of PRS single cuts. One is a straight up basic original single, the other is a P245. The P245 has a shorter scale length, coil taps and a piezo output. I can do just about anything with it. It's my #1 live guitar.

Not to ruin a potential NGD, but check out Davy Knowles and tell me why you need anything other than a Tele.

Maybe because Davy does...

I'll add my vote to the DGT camp - very versatile guitar, capable of copping a ton of tones. With a second vote for the 594. The Vela should have some Tele-familiarity for you, but with more than enough difference to make it more than worthwhile.

Maybe because Davy does...
I'll add my vote to the DGT camp - very versatile guitar, capable of copping a ton of tones. With a second vote for the 594. The Vela should have some Tele-familiarity for you, but with more than enough difference to make it more than worthwhile.
You got Davy's money? I sure don't! I don't know whether the OP feels he needs a new guitar, or just wants one. If he wants one, cool! It just sounded like he felt that a Tele was limited to country. He further stated he was looking for something to do classic rock/ blues rock. Davy's video proves you can do that on a Tele!

Last edited:
Count me in on DGT as well. They’re all great choices, but the DGT will get you want you’re after, yet it won’t be drastically different.

Back