Techniques

Lola

❤️guitar
I decided I needed to open a thread where we can discuss the how’s and why’s of this subject.

I started learning tapping octaves. They sound like absolute crap because I can’t get the physical definition of what a tap is supposed to sound like. It’s very muddied. I don’t know if I am pulling my finger away quick enough. Is my tap accurate. I know it has to touch the fret wire OR maybe it’s just a matter of practice.

Also I started to learn La Grange to kickstart my blues project. At the beginning my upstrums suck along with the muting. I am having trouble with upstrum muting. What could be possibly going wrong that I may or may not be aware of.

Taps don't need to touch the frets. You are tapping at a spot where there is a harmonic on the string. That is what rings out. If you are not getting the ring try moving up or down a little bit to see if that helps. You may not be on the right spot to get it to hit it.

Hammer ons need to touch the frets.

Taps don't need to touch the frets. You are tapping at a spot where there is a harmonic on the string. That is what rings out. If you are not getting the ring try moving up or down a little bit to see if that helps. You may not be on the right spot to get it to hit it.

Hammer ons need to touch the frets.
The harmonic is always slightly closer to the body than the fret for the ones that have a fret reference, like the octaves.

It also helps to have a bit of delay and lots of reverb on because it highlights these kind of harmonics. This I never knew. Have to try experimenting today.

Compression helps as well. As referenced above, start w/octaves - it's an easy find, I think they're about the easiest to produce. But it takes practice. And then, maybe someday... (although these are picked)

And a bit of a lesson from the man himself.

I started hybrid picking and I really like it. It’s because of La Grange that I am learning this. I live the twang. What a powerful technique.

Looky:
Kirk Hammett has hit back at online haters with a challenge to shredders who think they can outplay him: “What’s the point?” He also attacked the musical utility of sweep picking, describing the technique as “incredibly easy but it sounds incredibly hard… Why do it?”

I started hybrid picking and I really like it. It’s because of La Grange that I am learning this. I live the twang. What a powerful technique.

Looky:
Kirk Hammett has hit back at online haters with a challenge to shredders who think they can outplay him: “What’s the point?” He also attacked the musical utility of sweep picking, describing the technique as “incredibly easy but it sounds incredibly hard… Why do it?”
I’m trying to think of a time I’ve ever heard Kirk sweep pick.

I am learning La Grange. I can’t get the pinch harmonics even incorporated in the song. And when I do they sound horrible and not consistent. They are all towards the end of the song.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Can you hear any other techniques besides the above? I can’t.

I am learning La Grange. I can’t get the pinch harmonics even incorporated in the song. And when I do they sound horrible and not consistent. They are all towards the end of the song.

Is there anything I should be aware of?

Can you hear any other techniques besides the above? I can’t.

I have played this song a bunch of times. A number of the bands in my area play it. It was in the list of the last band I was in.

Most people play the double stops in the beginning wrong. Once you hear the difference and get it right, you will be able to hear how many people play it wrong.

Pinch harmonics can be a PITA on some guitars. You have to have enough gain to get them to really ring out but not too much to make everything sound over saturated. The setup of your guitar can promote or hinder pinch harmonics too. I can do them on a clean channel because I worked on them so much when I was younger. Try moving your right hand forward and back until you find a spot where they come out easier. You have to get the string to come off of the pick then brush your thumb to get that bell type ring.

I have played this song a bunch of times. A number of the bands in my area play it. It was in the list of the last band I was in.

Most people play the double stops in the beginning wrong. Once you hear the difference and get it right, you will be able to hear how many people play it wrong.

Pinch harmonics can be a PITA on some guitars. You have to have enough gain to get them to really ring out but not too much to make everything sound over saturated. The setup of your guitar can promote or hinder pinch harmonics too. I can do them on a clean channel because I worked on them so much when I was younger. Try moving your right hand forward and back until you find a spot where they come out easier. You have to get the string to come off of the pick then brush your thumb to get that bell type ring.

Thx kindly for your advice. Going to check it out tonight.

Back