TCI-Tuned 58/15LT pickups!!!!

Finally got a chance to listen. I’m digging them!

I want to compare them to my DC 594 LT :)
image.jpg

May I once again compliment you on the loveliness of that guitar?

I’ve decided that for me it’s best to avoid comparing the 2020 594s with my earlier ones! ;)

I’ve yet to spend real time with a 594. And since they’re voicing them the way that I typically gravitate, I consider them dangerous territory.

My 594 was my first PRS after returning to Electric Guitar playing once my child was an Adult and Divorce allowed me to indulge in my Playing. As it had been at least 15yrs since I had played an Electric, and that I had been most familiar with the Les Paul style, it made sense to start with something that wouldn't be vastly different.

My 2016 PRS McCarty 594 in Fire Burst Red

iqwpNPc.jpg

Whilst this isn't quite the same as a Les Paul and slightly different from the new 594's because it has the hard PRS finish, regular 58/15 LT pups (not TCI) and the locking tuners, Its still an amazing guitar. Its easy to see why John Mayer was impressed too and I believe its become a very successful model for PRS. Its been made in both Single and Double Cut as well as Solid, Semi-hollow and Hollow too.

Personally I love this guitar - not just the tone and vibe of it but also the feel of the vintage carve neck. Its difficult to compare to a Les Paul because there are numerous models and a long history and as such, there is a wide variety of different Les Paul tones so it really depends on what Les Paul you compare it too. I think its generally very articulate with better clarity than a LOT of Les Pauls and think it really fits the Vintage vibe its going for.

The new ones seem to take it to the next level in terms of recreating a vintage guitar and improved the sound (not that the original 594 was bad at all - far from it) by applying their experience and what has been learned from the TCI development. The adjustable part of the bridge has been lowered and the thumb wheels shaved to lower it a bit more - as far as I understand from the Tim Pierce/Howard Leese video. Also the tuners are now the Vintage style and, like all core models, its finish has been changed to Nitro - the same Nitro finish that Private Stock guitars have offered. The tuners and Nitro finish (although different Nitro finish to the 50's era and current Nitro finish offered by competitors) is probably the most noticeable changes and more like the Vintage instruments its inspired by.

I do think that its worth spending time with - but not if you don't have the means to buy. It will almost certainly add to your wish list and the GAS will be very strong with this model....

They are dangerous territory because of how good they sound and play. You should. You must....You will........
THIS!

The 594 kicked off another round of ‘empirical research’ for me...
First came the Laguna 594, gift from my wife,

Then I went through 4 variations of the 594 over the course of about 18 months (no longer have any of them, the perils of over-trading - THE DANGER IS REAL:eek:):
PS SH SC594
PS Fatback DC594
PS DC594 with Braz neck
WL SC594 with RW

Then I decided to do my own hybrid for my PS build for a P245T with PV Neck carve. I wanted a SC594T with piezo, but it wasn’t possible without large upcharges, too big for my budget and guitar weight tolerances.

THIS!

The 594 kicked off another round of ‘empirical research’ for me...
First came the Laguna 594, gift from my wife,

Then I went through 4 variations of the 594 over the course of about 18 months (no longer have any of them, the perils of over-trading - THE DANGER IS REAL:eek:):
PS SH SC594
PS Fatback DC594
PS DC594 with Braz neck
WL SC594 with RW

Then I decided to do my own hybrid for my PS build for a P245T with PV Neck carve. I wanted a SC594T with piezo, but it wasn’t possible without large upcharges, too big for my budget and guitar weight tolerances.
When you went “fatback”, how much fatter are we talking than standard? Did you notice anything different?

When you went “fatback”, how much fatter are we talking than standard? Did you notice anything different?
It was a Wildwood PS run I had bought used. The fatback was SC thickness versus DC594 thickness. Tone wise, I’d say it was closer to classic LP territory than the standard DC 594. I traded it for the Braz neck 594 since the weight was about 8.5lbs and my back does better with 8lbs or less.

I should have kept that Braz necked one!

It was a Wildwood PS run I had bought used. The fatback was SC thickness versus DC594 thickness. Tone wise, I’d say it was closer to classic LP territory than the standard DC 594. I traded it for the Braz neck 594 since the weight was about 8.5lbs and my back does better with 8lbs or less.

I should have kept that Braz necked one!
I've yet to play a Brazilian-necked guitar of any variety, but I've never heard a bad thing about one. I do have a few PRSi with Brazilian boards and MAN do they sound good! The weight thing is important, though. I've found hobbling on stage is an inspiration-sapper.

I've yet to play a Brazilian-necked guitar of any variety, but I've never heard a bad thing about one. I do have a few PRSi with Brazilian boards and MAN do they sound good! The weight thing is important, though. I've found hobbling on stage is an inspiration-sapper.
You need to try a full Braz neck - game changer for me. My favorite tone wood. Pernambuco has more clarity, but Braz has a more rounded bass (piano like lows acoustically) while still retaining sweet highs and mids. Plus that lovely unfinished feel! I still like that Dark Peruvian Mahogany too though!

Got a passport?
I have THE Brazilian neck you might want to try.

You need to try a full Braz neck - game changer for me. My favorite tone wood. Pernambuco has more clarity, but Braz has a more rounded bass (piano like lows acoustically) while still retaining sweet highs and mids. Plus that lovely unfinished feel! I still like that Dark Peruvian Mahogany too though!
I missed a huge opportunity years ago on a pernie DGT. I just don’t care for the DGT nut, so I took the finger off the trigger. I don’t often (read: never) see pernie PRSi in the wild anymore.

Back