TCI pickups not hum cancelling?

Goodsal

I have a Paul’s Guitar and an SE Paul’s Guitar, both with TCI pickups. I was surprised when I discovered that the pickups aren’t hum cancelling even in full humbucker mode. Is this normal? I’m curious re the technology.

With, or without touching strings ? The latter is pretty typical given the lack of shielding in the control/pickups cavities.

The hum is unexpected, I don't hear any in humbucking mode with my modern eagle V (same as your PG's Core model) and I don't recall experiencing that with the PG w/ TCI pickups either I briefly had this summer.

As I understand it TCI is really just a controlled way to consistently achieve the desired tone characteristics of pickups in a production environment. It's great for marketing too, but has absolutely nothing to do with noise reduction or whether you'll like them better than the prior non-TCI pickups.

There is significantly more hum when not touching the strings, much but not all of which goes away when touching the strings. The neck pickup is much noisier than the bridge. Both are noisier than all of my other humbucker guitars. Note that the same phenomenon exists in BOTH of my Paul's Guitars (Core and SE), so I don't think there's anything wrong with either of them, just curious what it is about the design that causes this.

Can anyone confirm that I’m not crazy and that TCI pickups aren’t fully hum cancelling? I assume it’s because the coils aren’t equal in output to allow for good split tones but I’d love to confirm. Thanks.

You are correct. I even found out yesterday, when i received my SE Paul's guitar, that the TCI PUs are not fully Hum-Cancelling. Maye due to different coil windings, orf that is the reason why they sound so good in Singlecoil-Mode? But anyway they sound absolutely great!

I did a check and my Brent Mason Treble (pre-TCI, but same multi-tap wiring concept) is definitely noisier than my other humbuckers. I am also guessing it's due to the extra winds on the slug coil. Even though they are grounded in humbucker mode I believe they still factor in.

Many humbuckers are not completely silent, though. The coils have to be exact mirrors of each other, but often times one coil is wound differently from the other for tonal reasons. The only one I have right now that is truly silent is a Wilde/Bill Lawrence. The others (PRS, Duncan, Suhr) all pick up a little noise, but noticeably less than the PRS Brent Mason pickup.

Make sure to check that all ground connections have been well soldered. Believe it or not, one of myfriends has just discovered his newly purchased SE 35th CU24 (Indonesian made) has no ground soldered at the trem claw (see picture), this cause his guitar to hum in all positions.

For your SE PG which has no trem, I don't know where the grounds soldering points are. But I think it's definitely worth taking time to find them out.

5OTRcMl.jpg

the pickups aren’t hum cancelling even in full humbucker mode. Is this normal?

I have 58/15MTs in a Special Semi Hollow 22, which are wound with an emphasis on tapping, and I was really surprised at how much hum made it past the PUs in humbucker mode. Noticeably more than with my Les Paul or my 335. On the other hand, I don't get a big volume drop in single-coil situations. I also assume that the splitting / tapping design contributes to the hum but I don't know the science...

Back