TCI pickups don't exist ...... say what ??

Paul can (in my experience) play fast and loose with facts and truth. For example, when the first acoustic guitars were introduced, I was at NAMM in LA, and the PRS booth was just finished. There were about 10 acoustics on display. Obviously, they were finished with clear nitro, and had been subjected to swings in temperature on the transport from Maryland. The finish on the tops were not just checked, but shattered. I tried to commiserate with him on this unfortunate event. Nope. He proceeded to go on about how it was intentional; that they were introducing a new look to the finish of acoustics. I looked for some sign of sarcasm on his face. But no, that was his story, and was sticking to it.

So, I can't help but take this TCI process with a grain of salt. I love PRS guitars, but if and when I buy another, it won't because I have to have TCI. Unless and until PRS lays out what TCI actually does to improve a guitar's electronics via "the process."
I understand what you’re saying but in this day and age with a certain country including our own cloning (ripping off) pedals and everything else under the Sun, I don’t blame him for keeping certain aspects of his pickup building process close to the vest, so to speak…. And the TCI process he’s explained and it’s for consistency for each model

Last edited:
I can't imagine that they do. I think that's the one thing that bothers me about the way Paul presents TCI. It's simply a process and methodology that produces well-voiced, consistent-performing pickups for each PRS model of guitar. And they have developed new ways to accurately, and comprehensively, measure and tweek pickups. That's the process of pickup development, with the brilliantly obtuse name of "TCI."

TCI, not being well, and clearly defined, morphed into some kind of wizardry of making each set of pickups (and wiring, caps, pots) sonically matched to each guitar--by PRS fans. And Paul did nothing to keep the peanut gallery from going crazy with speculation. It's a great notion, and may very well help with further boosting the image of PRS guitars, and their superiority. Why would Paul want to pop that balloon? (See my story, above.)

Here's a YouTube video, where Paul explains their work:

It's obvious, with their specially modded test guitar, that measurements are confined to the pickups they're developing. Not matching some TCI-enabled system to a particular guitar. Instead, matching a consistently performing model of pickup to a specific model of guitar.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that they do. I think that's the one thing that bothers me about the way Paul presents TCI. It's simply a process and methodology that produces well-voiced, consistent-performing pickups for each PRS model of guitar. And they have developed new ways to accurately, and comprehensively, measure and tweek pickups. That's the process of pickup development, with the brilliantly obtuse name of "TCI."

TCI, not being well, and clearly defined, morphed into some kind of wizardry of making each set of pickups (and wiring, caps, pots) sonically matched to each guitar--by PRS fans. And Paul did nothing to keep the peanut gallery from going crazy with speculation. It's a great notion, and may very well help with further boosting the image of PRS guitars, and their superiority. Why would Paul want to pop that balloon? (See my story, above.)

Here's a YouTube video, where Paul explains their work:

It's obvious, with their specially modded test guitar, that measurements are confined to the pickups they're developing. Not matching some TCI-enabled system to a particular guitar. Instead, matching a consistently performing model of pickup to a specific model of guitar.
It’s amazing that “incorrect internet buzz” gets twisted into what you just described. The pickups DO exist. Paul said months ago exactly what they were doing to TCI pickups, and anything people incorrectly add in on their own, is neither obtuse not misleading. TCI IS clearly defined and was pretty much from the start. I’m really having a hard time understanding why someone who would take the time to post thoughts like this, wouldn’t take the time to get the facts first. Honestly, I read something very similar at TGP a couple weeks ago and I just get tired of readying the people bashing Paul for something he didn’t do. If you didn’t know this, the info is, and has been, out there. Paul NEVER said he had some magic fairy dust way of tuning every single pickup to it’s exact guitar? In fact, why would he even consider that? PRS is known to be the most consistent brand model to model of any guitar made. He’s tuning the pickup to an “ideal” “preferred” response… JUST EXACTLY like he said he was. He already knows what that guitar sounds like. Remember whose company it is. And, if you know what the letters TCI stand for, how in the heck can you call that obtuse.

Sorry, I just don’t get your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’d more closely read what I said, it wasn’t Paul who created this perception that each guitar would be TCI tuned. That‘s the question I was addressing within the post I was replying to. It’s the PRS fans that extrapolated it to that idea, from Paul’s original promotion of TCI. This thread wouldn’t exist if TCI had been defined well and correctly from the start. And that’s on Paul.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension, understand the context of the question, and be objective. I swear, it’s like the Steve-Jobs thing all over again. False idol worship untethered.

If you’d more closely read what I said, it wasn’t Paul who created this perception that each guitar would be TCI tuned. That‘s the question I was addressing within the post I was replying to. It’s the PRS fans that extrapolated it to that idea, from Paul’s original promotion of TCI. This thread wouldn’t exist if TCI had been defined well and correctly from the start. And that’s on Paul.

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension, understand the context of the question, and be objective. I swear, it’s like the Steve-Jobs thing all over again. False idol worship untethered.
No, maybe you should stop trolling. Paul said what he said and defined what TCI meant months ago. I read what you said. Maybe you don't understand what you said. Perhaps this will help.

I can't imagine that they do. I think that's the one thing that bothers me about the way Paul presents TCI.
Not true, they do. EVERYONE knows they do.
And, you blame Paul. This is wrong, borderline trolling, when we ALL know how he presented it right from the start.
That's the process of pickup development, with the brilliantly obtuse name of "TCI."
Again with the jab. The letters mean exactly what the process is. Perhaps you shouldn't use words when you don't know what they mean.
TCI, not being well, and clearly defined, morphed into some kind of wizardry of making each set of pickups (and wiring, caps, pots) sonically matched to each guitar--by PRS fans.
Wrong again, it was clearly defined. Wrong again, nobody here, and nobody I've seen or heard, has said there was some hand tuning of each pickup to each guitar, AND, Paul said from the start what the tuning was, and why, so anyone who speculated otherwise may have have confused YOU but nobody with any knowledge on the subject was ever confused about it and the info to set you straight would be so easy to find, that one wonders about your motive.
And Paul did nothing to keep the peanut gallery from going crazy with speculation. It's a great notion, and may very well help with further boosting the image of PRS guitars, and their superiority. Why would Paul want to pop that balloon? (See my story, above.)

This is why you're getting this type response. I don't like posting things like this, but this is trolling. If you think Paul can stop anyone from saying ANYTHING on the internet, then perhaps you don't know how the internet works. Clearly, you still haven't graduated to the understanding that not everything you read on the internet is true.

So, being objective, I DO understand exactly what the TCI process is, and I DO understand that Paul never said otherwise and I DO understand that what you read somewhere and came here to blame Paul for is both nothing he did, and nothing he can control. So, again, Re: your false idol worship comment, you're just trolling. Confronting someone who bashes someone with no basis is not idol worship. ;) Again, that's just trolling. If you really have any intention of hanging out here at all, that's not your best choice of material to lead with. If you want to bash, at least get your facts straight. Otherwise, expect the blowback you're getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yes, sir. It’s a fanboy site. I get it. Over and out.
Oh no, it's not. But we don't put up with people bad mouthing PRS over untrue BS they read on the internet. Come in here insulting Paul and the brand over some $h*% you read on the internet and call us fanboys because we call BS when we read it... yeah, you tell yourself whatever you need too, Sparky. ;)

I'm fanning...looking at the 85/15 pickups in the store right now *drool* I noticed they are TCI tuned.

I think I'm falling in the Rabbit hole and losing my ability to discern a TCI pickup, and a 85/15 TCI tuned pickup. One is a pickup type and the other is process tuned.

Perhaps I should be quiet on this.

Back