TCI Pickup “System”?

Figaro

I’m confused about the TCI pickups or “System”.
I thought the TCI pickups were actually different pickups, or are they?
But now I read that “TCI” is actually a System and is going to be used with many different pickups and guitars.
Does anyone know how the TCI System works? Does it use different resistors and/or capacitors to tune the sound of pickups, or is it something else?

Also from Shawn@PRS

TCI is a combination of pickups and electronics. It's a culmination of everything Paul has learned in 35+ years of guitar building. We've taken all of the variable and made the tolerances extremely tight. Think about the genuine PAF pickups. Some of them sound like the voice of God, while some of them just sound OK. Why is that? Because too many things were left to chance. With TCI we leave nothing to chance and control every aspect of the design and construction. Each TCI pickup set is tuned to the specific guitar. Think of it as a mixing counsel, we've mixed the sound to be exactly what we want, every time.

All Core guitars are getting TCI treatment now. S2 guitars will follow in the near future.

It all stems from the development of the JM635 Pickups in the Silver Sky and each is individually 'tuned' to the pick-ups with the electronics. Its picking the right resistor (or some other part) for the pick-ups to ensure everything coming out of the output jack is consistent. Its this attention that separates PRS from others who use exactly the same parts despite minor variations that lead to instruments sounding quite different despite the fact all the hardware is the same - at least that's how I understand it.

The end result though is that there is even more consistency and PRS can tune their guitars to sound exactly the way they want...

I may not be 100% factual as I don't work for PRS and haven't had it explained to me in detail but that's what I believe is the general gist of what the TCI process is...

Also from Shawn@PRS

TCI is a combination of pickups and electronics. It's a culmination of everything Paul has learned in 35+ years of guitar building. We've taken all of the variable and made the tolerances extremely tight. Think about the genuine PAF pickups. Some of them sound like the voice of God, while some of them just sound OK. Why is that? Because too many things were left to chance. With TCI we leave nothing to chance and control every aspect of the design and construction. Each TCI pickup set is tuned to the specific guitar. Think of it as a mixing counsel, we've mixed the sound to be exactly what we want, every time.

All Core guitars are getting TCI treatment now. S2 guitars will follow in the near future.

It all stems from the development of the JM635 Pickups in the Silver Sky and each is individually 'tuned' to the pick-ups with the electronics. Its picking the right resistor (or some other part) for the pick-ups to ensure everything coming out of the output jack is consistent. Its this attention that separates PRS from others who use exactly the same parts despite minor variations that lead to instruments sounding quite different despite the fact all the hardware is the same - at least that's how I understand it.

The end result though is that there is even more consistency and PRS can tune their guitars to sound exactly the way they want...

I may not be 100% factual as I don't work for PRS and haven't had it explained to me in detail but that's what I believe is the general gist of what the TCI process is...

It seems no one really knows the details of the TCI System yet? Has anyone looked to see if there are extra resistors and/or capacitors connected to the controls, etc...?

The Digital Harmonic post?
I’m trying to understand how the TCI “system” actually works.
It seems the “system” is in the electronics of the controls because it can be applied to any pickup?

Digital Harmonics is a company Paul founded. It’s deep imaging/mathematic enhancement. They use this process on the pick ups to actually “see” the output. That what Shawn was referring to in his post.

https://digitalharmonic.com/technology/

It seems no one really knows the details of the TCI System yet? Has anyone looked to see if there are extra resistors and/or capacitors connected to the controls, etc...?
If it’s as innovative as it sounds, we won’t know the details until they can’t protect it any longer.

There was an article in guitarist about it. Capacitance & inductance balancing for different tolerance components for complete pickup circuit in manufacture ie make sound the same for differenr elecyronics tolerances range

For guitar type it was implied they could alter circuit based on wood to get to where they wanted to go

Thats my understanding of it anyway

Back