Tattoo

IKnowALittle

I don't have any tattoos, but I'm thinking of getting one.

Last edited:
Not sure yet. It's going to be guitar related, but perhaps not PRS.
I have a few ideas floating around in my head and have an appointment to meet with the tattoo dude this coming week to sketch out a few of them and see if anything clicks.
I'm kinda reluctant to get a tattoo, so it's going to have to be something that "speaks" strongly to me.

Not sure yet. It's going to be guitar related, but perhaps not PRS.
I have a few ideas floating around in my head and have an appointment to meet with the tattoo dude this coming week to sketch out a few of them and see if anything clicks.
I'm kinda reluctant to get a tattoo, so it's going to have to be something that "speaks" strongly to me.

Yep, it needs to be something that has some meaning to you, that's for sure. Especially for your first. You've been around the block, so no need to tell you to make sure you're seeing reputable artist.

I have seven. Some are a symbols of meaning with respect to life. One is a nod to Rush, my favorite band. A couple are dragon related because I dig dragons. My first was on a work recognition trip. Kind of a "I will if you will" setting. I don't hate it, but it's the only one I would change.

Keep in mind small with lots of detail won't age well. Good luck!

Yep, it needs to be something that has some meaning to you, that's for sure. Especially for your first. You've been around the block, so no need to tell you to make sure you're seeing reputable artist.

I have seven. Some are a symbols of meaning with respect to life. One is a nod to Rush, my favorite band. A couple are dragon related because I dig dragons. My first was on a work recognition trip. Kind of a "I will if you will" setting. I don't hate it, but it's the only one I would change.

Keep in mind small with lots of detail won't age well. Good luck!

thx for the advice.
Rush, a vintage Canadian band ... Yay Canada!!

Last edited:
If you are reluctant, you shouldn't get one. But, I say go through the initial meeting and see how you feel. Don't get one unless you're 100% sold. Take your time to decide yay or nay. I'd be up front with the artist where your head is at though- they're time is $.

What makes you want a tattoo?

I figured out about 12 years ago I wanted a tattoo, after seeing something like what I wanted on someone else's calf (they were walking down the street, get your mind out of the gutter! Well, they might have been walking in the gutter, so, um, nevermind...)

It was right after my Dad passed, and it would have symbolized him in a certain way: he was (part) Welsh and I wanted a Welsh dragon. I decided to wait to make sure it wasn't an emotional decision. Then I sort of forgot about it...always thinking I should get one, but never really getting around to it.

Then a couple years ago I started dating my now-fiancee, and I felt like I could finally make the decision: I was happy, and I knew exactly what I wanted. She wanted a second tattoo, so we went together to a very good shop, and I'm still extremely happy with the results.

Sooner or later I will get one to honor my Mom's background (Norwegian) by getting a Norse dragon on the other calf. And I want to get it before she passes (which might not be for yonks, thankfully!), so I can show her how proud I am of her, and how I think about her too.

Anyway: make sure what you want as a tattoo is something that will mean something in 10 or 20 years, at least. Because you'll probably have it for the rest of your life.

Don't get your nose tattooed into a Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtle!

http://www.teamjimmyjoe.com/2014/08/worst-16-bad-tattoos/

ninja-turtle-nose-worst-tattoos.jpg

(If link is stale, just Google it, plenty of examples, for some bizarre reason...)

I'm not a believer in tatoos. Partly for the reason that we always are evolving. Lets say you got a PRS tatoo. 10 years later you hate PRS. I know, not likely but we are pretending. What do you do then? A friend of mine got a rose tatoo on the top of her breast. She got pregnant, gained 2 bra sizes, and the rose became a radish. Your body will change and tatoos never tend to age well beyond the 5-10 year mark. They will stretch and distort as your skin does. Color will fade. You'll need to have it touched up and repaired every few years. They can be long term disasters. Many folks have tatoo regret. Do you want to actually pay to have regret later on?

If you are reluctant, you shouldn't get one. But, I say go through the initial meeting and see how you feel. Don't get one unless you're 100% sold. Take your time to decide yay or nay. I'd be up front with the artist where your head is at though- they're time is $.

What makes you want a tattoo?

Agree. As I'm still pretty undecided, and to be fair, I will pay the TA for his time, so that's all good.
I think that there is an appeal to recognize significant influences in one's psychological makeup by indelibly etching it into your physical being.
Humans have being doing this for centuries, tattoos are just the latest manifestation of that.
None of which helps me make a decision. :confused:

I'm not a believer in tatoos. Partly for the reason that we always are evolving. Lets say you got a PRS tatoo. 10 years later you hate PRS. I know, not likely but we are pretending. What do you do then? A friend of mine got a rose tatoo on the top of her breast. She got pregnant, gained 2 bra sizes, and the rose became a radish. Your body will change and tatoos never tend to age well beyond the 5-10 year mark. They will stretch and distort as your skin does. Color will fade. You'll need to have it touched up and repaired every few years. They can be long term disasters. Many folks have tatoo regret. Do you want to actually pay to have regret later on?

Another useful perspective and I have thought of that.
For me, in the big scheme of things, I have so many regrets that a tattoo is likely to be pretty minor.
Something that speaks to the beginning (at least for me) ... 60's and early 70's.
Anywho, as always, I'm totally overthinking this.

Last edited:
Another school of thought is to just get something you think is cool.

Not everything needs to have deep personal meaning.

I do have a few. I waited a while to make sure I got what I really wanted knowing that they would be a forever thing. So far so good! Unlike this guy!

no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo.jpg

Mine is in my avatar.
Doubles as my family tree; one bird for each of us, and my love for PRS guitars.

Think of them as life lessons & your own story. I have plenty of tattoos that I absolutely hate now, and I even broke my rule (no names, no brands) and did the PRS birds... if I end up hating PRS, I chalk it up as a time in my life where I felt it was significant enough to honor with a permanent place on my body. Speaking of crappy ink, check these monsteosities of a raven and a hawk I got when I was young and dumb, lol... I just got the phrase tattooed last week though, and I might be able to tie it all in together to make something better than a dear to the heart saying I live by, and a couple crappy birds

Back