Tap Tempo: What is It & How is It Used?

Took me years to figure this one out. I asked the guy at the store when I bought my Boss DD? back in the “90s what the extra jack was on the side. He just shrugged and said you can plug in some other pedal there that you have to buy. I should have read the directions I guess. Years later I was watching some friends at their show and at the beginning of every song the guitar player would do this exaggerated stomping on a pedal plugged into his delay. After the show I asked him what he was doing. He explained it and I felt robbed that I could have been doing that all along if I had only known. I think of all the questions I had for my local store that never got answered correctly. It is good to be in a time with access to so many knowledgeable people.

I prefer to think of the same concept as similar to "pumping the brakes," that was needed before we had things like ABS brakes. I pump my brakes each time just after I've had my car washed in order to dry out the discs.

Tap tempo actually is a "stomp" motion akin to tapping your foot to a musical beat; actually what you hear is how you want your effect rate to be. Effect tap tempo will match the song's tempo.

Used for tempo in loops as well.

The HeadRush contains a loop function, but it doesn't work when you've got the Gigboard set to 4-RIG ALTERNATE / SETLIST mode. The loop function only works in STOMP, RIG, HYBRID & SETLIST modes, IIRC.

Let me fact check that and will be right back...

EDIT: Yup. 4-RIG ALTERNATE mode does not allow you to access the internal HR looper. Only way to not use SETLIST mode with several RIGs within 4-RIG ALTERNATE is to manually switch out the global parameters.

Which is not am optimal scenario, but likely prevents you from switching between RIGs when you wish to use the looper functions.

Will try to put in some practice time Monday afternoon...doing my chores today and need to do some regular household maintenance before napping.

Last edited:
Back